Best Car Integration for Windows Phone 8/8.1?

urik770

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
So I'm looking to buy a car in the near future and it is absolutely important for me that it plays nicely with my beloved Lumia 928 (and obviously whatever I upgrade to down the road). I recently rented a Ford Escape with Microsoft Sync and I came away pretty unimpressed. First of all the UI looked nothing like the modern UI I've come to expect and love; it was quite lame actually. Second, the only integration was Bluetooth enabled calling.

Are there other systems out there that are better? Who has experience with car integration with Windows Phone?

Thanks guys!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are there any particular car brands you are looking at? It might help if you list which ones you might consider, since other members who own those cars could chime in with their feedback.

urik770

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm at the learning stage. Considering anything. Probably non-luxury brand though. Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc.

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a limited 2011 Hyundai Elantra and I have found the voice commands using the steering wheel command button to be very good. It can call and send text messages very easily. My fiance's Nissan rogue has an awful setup for voice commands. It will make you do four commands just to make a call

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Chryler's Uconnect is highly regarded. My Dart's 8.4 and my Journey's 4.3 Uconnect work great with my WP. The phone's built in text to speech work perfect with those systems.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
NissanConnect supports all the basic Bluetooth features. They just lack a WP app. it really doesn't matter. you can do everything with it already.

tcmoon

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
My 1520 works very well with my 2013 Buick Verano. The texting feature works great, also the onstar remote link app allows you to do things, like lock, unlock, start car from anywhere.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So I'm looking to buy a car in the near future and it is absolutely important for me that it plays nicely with my beloved Lumia 928 (and obviously whatever I upgrade to down the road). I recently rented a Ford Escape with Microsoft Sync and I came away pretty unimpressed. First of all the UI looked nothing like the modern UI I've come to expect and love; it was quite lame actually. Second, the only integration was Bluetooth enabled calling.

Are there other systems out there that are better? Who has experience with car integration with Windows Phone?

Thanks guys!

ze8a6ama.jpg

Going this route means zero hassles with incompatibility, update issues, or the terribly designed ui's.

The auto makers are having a really hard time getting it right. Tesla might be the only one with a clue, their version slaughters the other offerings.

urik770

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/ze8a6ama.jpg

Going this route means zero hassles with incompatibility, update issues, or the terribly designed ui's.

The auto makers are having a really hard time getting it right. Tesla might be the only one with a clue, their version slaughters the other offerings.

Lol. There's certainly wisdom in that. But isn't there a nice middle ground? I'd love to be able to use Miracast or something to project my phone's screen to some built-in larger screen in-dash, which I'd be able to safely use via steering wheel controls. I'd have the vehicle using my phone's playlist for music, HERE GPS, hands free calling, Cortana, etc.

Anyway, the earlier posts tout Hyundai and Chrysler's systems. There seems to be a difference of opinion on Nissan. And the Buick system sounds really intriguing. So GM has an app on WP?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^actually add Bluetooth radio to that AUX since you need Bluetooth to work with WP Driving Mode and to be truly wireless. we have in-car wireless charging now, who wanna deal with silly 3.5mm cable.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
^actually add Bluetooth radio to that AUX since you need Bluetooth to work with WP Driving Mode and to be truly wireless. we have in-car wireless charging now, who wanna deal with silly 3.5mm cable.

but with

...connection lost....

please pair your device !

urik770

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Can you elaborate? What are you using to pair your Windows Phone via Bluetooth?

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What about after market car stereos? That's what I'd like to know about. I bought a JVC that is very difficult to use with my phone even though some features do work. I actually have to touch my phone to pause music and sometimes the button to answer the phone doesn't answer it or just hangs up on the person. The IR remote has be in direct line site of the stereo so I can't mount it on my steering wheel. I can't start a voice text from the stereo, I have to touch the phone, etc, etc, etc. I was considering buying a Ford Focus with Sync tech but if it won't work correctly with my 925, then that will be disappointing.

Oh and the Bluetooth takes forever to connect.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What about after market car stereos? That's what I'd like to know about. I bought a JVC that is very difficult to use with my phone even though some features do work. I actually have to touch my phone to pause music and sometimes the button to answer the phone doesn't answer it or just hangs up on the person. The IR remote has be in direct line site of the stereo so I can't mount it on my steering wheel. I can't start a voice text from the stereo, I have to touch the phone, etc, etc, etc. I was considering buying a Ford Focus with Sync tech but if it won't work correctly with my 925, then that will be disappointing.

Oh and the Bluetooth takes forever to connect.

that's my point about the terrible user interfaces auto makers are cobbling together of late. there is no need in putting another mess of buttons and sliders between the phone and the speakers. just give me the 3.5mm connection and i'm happy. the phone's UI kicks major awesome nuts.

the only one that actually rocks, is tesla, and since their cars are made of un-obtainium.... snort !

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
that's my point about the terrible user interfaces auto makers are cobbling together of late. there is no need in putting another mess of buttons and sliders between the phone and the speakers. just give me the 3.5mm connection and i'm happy. the phone's UI kicks major awesome nuts.

the only one that actually rocks, is tesla, and since their cars are made of un-obtainium.... snort !

Un-obtainium! LOLOLOL Love it.

agig

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I currently using a pioneer avh-3500 bhs. It the most compatible unit i have used yet. I also tried alpine CDE-W235BT but it was not totally compatible with my windows phone and updating the firm ware was a horrible experience that left me with a bricked radio. maybe i will send it to get fixed a second time and put it on ebay. My wife's CDE-143BT alpine works well with both our windows phones. It also came with the latest firmware which is why i thing it works with out windows phone. If you do not mind a single din unit with a tiny screen this unit will deliver great sound. As for my avh-3500 bhs it is a double din unit with touch screen. It really sounds nice in my 2008 jeep liberty. Both the AVH-3500 bhs and the CDE-143bt controls my phone play, pause, next and previous songs via Bluetooth. it also displays album info. It is fully compatible with calling and texting functions (receiving and sending). Voice dialing and texting work really good. Cortana works with the avh-3500 on screen voice command button. So i can use it for just dialing and texting. I am using Nokia 925 and my wife is using Nokia 521. My 925 is using WP 8.1 developer preview and the 521 is using WP 8.0. hope this helps everyone out. Even though these units work well i am still waiting for MS to get better integration with car stereo systems like apple and androids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb