Cable for Nokia Purity - Why can't they mass market?

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a WH-930 purity headset for my Lumia 920, but returned it after as I didn't like the sound quality.
I remember the cable being detachable. I didn't try it with other headphones before returning it, but it was able to control every aspect of the Lumia including volume up and down.

My question is, why can't they sell the cable so you can connect it to other headphones with detachable cords?

The lack of headphones which offer full control over the Lumia / Windows Phone is appalling after its bee in in market for 3+ years.
The jays five is an in ear headphones, but the build quality is nonsensical.
If they are not going to make headphones which offer control for WP, at least provide an accessory that will provide control, that was my thought process.
Is there a reason they can't do this?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a WH-930 purity headset for my Lumia 920, but returned it after as I didn't like the sound quality.
I remember the cable being detachable. I didn't try it with other headphones before returning it, but it was able to control every aspect of the Lumia including volume up and down.

My question is, why can't they sell the cable so you can connect it to other headphones with detachable cords?

The lack of headphones which offer full control over the Lumia / Windows Phone is appalling after its bee in in market for 3+ years.
The jays five is an in ear headphones, but the build quality is nonsensical.
If they are not going to make headphones which offer control for WP, at least provide an accessory that will provide control, that was my thought process.
Is there a reason they can't do this?

In a nutshell, market share. Consider that any accessory on the market will probably be purchased by 1% (1 out of 100) users of the compatible device. Third party manufacturers aren't going to bother until the compatible devices have hundreds of thousands of users. Windows phones aren't there yet.

Meanwhile, can I suggest going wireless? I bought a Bluetooth headset from Amazon. Ravetouch by Whitelabel. It's not Beats, but the sound is better than decent and they only cost $50. Best of all, they're lightweight (5.2 oz), they connect via NFC (just tap the phone to the right can), volume is controlled by swiping up/down on left can, go to next track is a two-finger swipe, and voice dialing is just a double-click of a multifunction button on the left can. They do come with a cable for audio only (no calling) and your controls are still on the headphone itself.

Something like this may not be the answer for you if you prefer earbuds, but there are other BT wireless styles out there that put the controls on your head.

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I do like the convenience of bluetooth and nfc, however I would consider myself closer to an audio aficionado (not a full audiophile), and prefer the quality of sound to be very good.
Bluetooth can offer something close, but nothing like a hard line. And even with the headphones out there, beats muddy low ends are displeasing to my ears. Headphone manufacturers like Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Ultimate Ears, Ultrasone, etc, all make headphones with a detachable cable.

The Monster inspiration is an extremely solid pair of headphones and that is what the Nokia Purity is based on.
Other than purchasing a pair of Purity's again (which includes 2 control talk cables), I wish they could at least sell the accessory on their website.
They already give you 2 in the box? I believe that creating the option of full volume control by selling an already manufactured and produced product would not hurt their business.

Monster sells the controltalk cable for their inspiration line
http://www.monsterproducts.com/headphones/headphoneslist.asp?custom=parts
And this review is too vague to determine if it would control the volume on a Lumia
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/monster-inspiration-headphones,review-2155.html

If anyone knows , please inform!

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I do like the convenience of bluetooth and nfc, however I would consider myself closer to an audio aficionado (not a full audiophile), and prefer the quality of sound to be very good.
Bluetooth can offer something close, but nothing like a hard line. And even with the headphones out there, beats muddy low ends are displeasing to my ears. Headphone manufacturers like Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Ultimate Ears, Ultrasone, etc, all make headphones with a detachable cable.

The Monster inspiration is an extremely solid pair of headphones and that is what the Nokia Purity is based on.
Other than purchasing a pair of Purity's again (which includes 2 control talk cables), I wish they could at least sell the accessory on their website.
They already give you 2 in the box? I believe that creating the option of full volume control by selling an already manufactured and produced product would not hurt their business.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but I suspect there's more to it than the cable. Ah ha! I found the explanation (more or less)... Phone connector (audio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Lumia phones use the OMTP TRRS standard while iPhones use the the CTIA/AHJ TRRS standard.

This article actually explains it better... Jays AB headset for Windows Phone and a note on headset standards

As usual, Apple goes their own way...

"Apple's non-standard signalling and control method means many designed for iPhone headsets are incompatible with other devices. In general the audio out and one button control on such headsets will work, but the audio-in (microphone) and volume controls will not. Some headset manufacturers produce dual version products that have wider support (presumably supporting more than one signalling method), but working out which is which is a little hit and miss. Our general advice would be to avoid iPhone specific headset accessories where possible; instead look for AHJ or OMTP compatibility as suited to your specific device.

An added complication is added in by the way in which the signalling (remote control) element works. The AHJ standard has a number of defined shortcuts in addition to the single button press (answer/end call, or play/pause music). These include a long press for voice commands, a double press to skip forward a music track, and a triple button press to skip back a music track. These shortcuts do not always seem to be universally implemented, but there's no particular pattern that we can discern."

I agree with you about the muddy sound of Beats. Depending on the music I'm listening to, I like a bass boost now and then, but it varies along with the music.

You might want to try the Ravetouch wireless... if you don't like the sound, you can always return them. ;-)

Sicarius123

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for this exact thing, really missing inline mic control for volume :(

Bluetooth isn't an option, ignoring the terrible sound, they're battery killers.

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Its funny that Windows Phone has been out for so long and yet have only 2-3 options for headphones with full control
I'm still waiting on a purity cable to be mass produced

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Many headphones for Android and BlackBerry are also compatible with Windows Phone. I've used BlackBerry headphones without any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos