Apps i miss

havok13888

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey im an android convert. I have an hd7 now. I love everything about wp7 except I really feel the need for two apps. Gtalk and google voice, I have a lot of friends overseas and the only way I can talk to them frequently is by some instant messenger but it seems a good one doesn't exist for the system now.

For google voice I actually call my gv number and make the call as of now but in android I just had to press contact name and it would automatically detect its an international number and redirect the call via gv. That was convienient.

I might have missed them but are there good apps for these two in the marketplace.

Thanks

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think Flory is supposed to be pretty good for Google talk, and I saw Go Voice (I think that's the name) in the marketplace that is supposed to be a Google voice client of some kind.

The app I miss is Waze...(from my BB), it was a nice free turn-by-turn GPS app with some fun thrown in.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Kik Messenger and LiveProfile both say they have a wp7 app coming. That'll take care of the IM for you.

As a previous poster mentioned... GoVoice!

Have you tried the Google Voice on IE? www. Google . com/voice

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I miss Pandora and a good solid windows live messenger app that is able to run in the back ground. I know Pandora is 7.5 timeframe... But a solid messenger built into the os would be awesome. Now.. Or even yesterday.. Or 7 months ago when the os came out...lol

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
While not great, Messenger by Myoina (or whatever) now does push notification of new messagea in the background. I tested it and it works, when your livetiles are working that is. All you are going to get till Mango

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

CoopII

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Air Canada, Cineplex mobile, NHL Game Center, TSN mobile.

App's that I miss the most. Some apps replaced these in need and some can't be replaced. Air Canada and Game Center have no replacements.

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
Hey im an android convert. I have an hd7 now. I love everything about wp7 except I really feel the need for two apps. Gtalk and google voice, I have a lot of friends overseas and the only way I can talk to them frequently is by some instant messenger but it seems a good one doesn't exist for the system now.

For google voice I actually call my gv number and make the call as of now but in android I just had to press contact name and it would automatically detect its an international number and redirect the call via gv. That was convienient.

I might have missed them but are there good apps for these two in the marketplace.

Thanks

Now that Microsoft is buying Skype, I'd hazard a guess that we'll see that on WP7 sooner or later.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Now that Microsoft is buying Skype, I'd hazard a guess that we'll see that on WP7 sooner or later.
Anyone know if there's been an updated ETA now that the buyout/merger has been officially announced? Skype on my WP7 is the one thing I'm looking forward to most, even more than Mango.

mindfrost82

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
WLM (Windows Live Messenger) and Facebook chat integration are pretty nice in the Mango beta. I just don't know anybody that uses WLM...most of my friends have switched to Google Talk because of Android.

There's IM+ in the Market now, but its not very fast. You get push notifications for messages, but it has to connect every time you open the app to read it and sometimes that can take 30+ seconds.

Kik is pretty good now that its out for WP7.

I miss Words With Friends, even though I don't play it as much as I used to. I don't know enough people on WP7 to play the WP7-only games.

I miss my ETrade app for my banking.

FatSecret's Calorie Counter doesn't scan barcodes in WP7 (I don't know if there's any Calorie Counter one that does though).

If Google+ catches on, that would be nice to have as an app. The mobile site renders REALLY ugly in Mango.

I miss Slacker's station caching that I pay for with my subscription. That works great on Android and my iPod.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I come from Symbian and I miss WhatsApp and multitasking. Ovi Maps w/ navigation was a nice feature, but I hardly used it in my country. Abroad was another story...

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've come from a jailbroken iPhone 4 via a Pre 2 for a couple of weeks (liked webOS, didn't like the hardware or the empty dustbowl of an app store). Overall I'm really, really happy with WP7 on my HTC Mozart (and coming from an Apple fan and a lover of elegant design, that really is high praise) and that'll only improve with Mango. I do miss a few things though:

1. SBSettings. Having a shortcut to toggle wifi on/off alone would be a massive boon.
2. AroundMe. Hands down the best "what's near me" app - nothing in the marketplace is as good. Yet.
3. Gameloft games. I'm hoping once their game engine is ported and Splinter Cell: Conviction is out, this will be remedied. But having a lot of really quite decent 3D games will help the platform no end.
4. Native Google maps. Bing maps just isn't as good yet, and I absolutely HATE the defaulting to satellite at lowest zoom. Bingle maps is very close though.

Pretty much everything else I've found an equivalent for - or in some cases, something better.

sm07

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I miss SBSettings too. The Palm Pre has it built-in, so do most Androids - brightness/WiFi/data toggles are super useful.

I also really, really want a Grooveshark client - it's the only way I listen to music these days. Without it, I have to settle for my iPod - which is okay, but that means I have to carry around two devices.

Finally... VLC or equivalent for Windows Phone. This'd only work if Zune enables USB/WiFi file sharing for apps, but it's seriously the most useful app on my iPod. I never convert anything anymore.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
google navigation and nintendo emulators are the only thing i miss.... oh and i miss voice to text integration...hopefully bing brings it with mango

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99