Announcing the Official WPCentral app for Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
The only other option would be to always have a gap there even if there was no image associated with the article which would mean a fixed size for each article and no stuttering.
Can?t the image dimension be specified ?
I?m not familiar with programming, but in HTML, image dimension could be specified and while the picture is loaded, a placeholder with correct size can be rendered (because the image dimension is only part of the markup text and loaded together with the page).

L

lumic

Edit: I have actually just had an idea, I could have a small amount of an image shown behind and slightly above the article headline & author with a black gradient background to the text so it could be picked out on lighter images.

I'll have a play with that idea but I'm still open to any suggestions as always :)
I know what you aimed for and it's much better than Weave in terms of being able to identify what you actually want to read. I think doing some kind of overlap or making the image size smaller wouldn't hurt - when I want to see the picture, I usually jump into the article anyway.

Can’t the image dimension be specified ?
I’m not familiar with programming, but in HTML, image dimension could be specified and while the picture is loaded, a placeholder with correct size can be rendered (because the image dimension is only part of the markup text and loaded together with the page).
Yes, but I think Jay is saying that it's a bit of a space-waster to have these placeholders when you might not even get around to loading the images. I agree with that notion, though on-the-whole I think the images don't need to be as big as they are.

Dav66id77

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes just watched the review, looks fantastic, very comprehensive. Can't wait to give it a spin. Well done Jay!!

2.jpg

6.jpg

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be chosen as a Beta tester and just wanted to say the next version (2.0) is looking fantastic.

Love the new main screen, but my fave thing is being able to chose the live tile I prefer and add comments to articles.

Another great update from Jay.

Not found any glitches yet which is annoying LOL ;)

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Very nice update Jay you've outdone yourself this time I think.
Thanks Dave, does this mean it physically can't get any better? :D

Of course I know it can, I'll be working on v2.1 and 2.2 which will be bug fixes and then the full wallpaper functionality respectively, then a v2.5 to bring in an improved podcast experience.

After that I'll be taking a little break from Windows Phone development as v2 has been sucking up my now fairly limited spare time! But I promise the app will be back for a v3, including forum functionality, as I know that's the next big milestone people would like to see :)

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

Of course I know it can, I'll be working on v2.1 and 2.2 which will be bug fixes and then the full wallpaper functionality respectively, then a v2.5 to bring in an improved podcast experience.

After that I'll be taking a little break from Windows Phone development as v2 has been sucking up my now fairly limited spare time! But I promise the app will be back for a v3, including forum functionality, as I know that's the next big milestone people would like to see :)
It can... forums being built in! :p

Awesome app thought... ;)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Life is about improving bit to get your full effort out of it you have to like what you are doing so take a break dont get yourself burned out. What you have accomplished so far will keep us busy for a while.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
On the UK marketplace we're still not seeing the v2.1 version.. v2.0 however is announcing itself as an update every two hours or so which is getting a tad annoying.

I tried removing the app and reinstalling but to no avail sofar.

P

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

2.1 has been out for around 2 weeks or more now, not sure why you're having notification problems but just wanted to confirm it's been out for a while now.

Welcome along to WPCentral paulheu. :)

Are you sure you aren't just looking at the splash screen which says version v2?

If you go to about in the app, the latest version is 2.1.14

What version have you got ?

Last edited:

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
TX, for the welcome.. and I have v2.0.94 installed.

the marketplace shows v2.0.0.0

I get an update notice about every 30 minutes and then nothing happens..

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
TX, for the welcome.. and I have v2.0.94 installed.

the marketplace shows v2.0.0.0

I get an update notice about every 30 minutes and then nothing happens..
Paul, there is no such thing as an update notice for apps that would occur every 30 minutes. The only thing that happens is you see a number on the Marketplace tile.

So I assume that you're either seeing an update notification for your Phone's operating system, or a toast message from the app itself perhaps?

Regardless, if you can't see the update in the marketplace there are a couple of things you can try. Firstly, if you haven't powered your device off then on again in a while you should do so now, this often clears out the phone's marketplace cache (you may then see v2.1.0.0 as the listed marketplace version).
Secondly, if when you view the app in the marketplace there is no button saying "update" then try backing out of the details screen for the app then tap into the screen again, this sometimes prompts the marketplace to let you tap "update".
Thirdly, try viewing the marketplace on either your Zune software or the Web marketplace (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/e6c3c78a-4382-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8 - US version) where you should see v2.1.0.0 as the listed version. You can download/update the app from there which should force your phone to download the app update.

Hope that helps!

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Every 30 minutes or so I see the 1 appear on the tile and when entering marketplace I get a notice there is an update for WP central.

When I accept however the notice just disapears, nothing is loaded or updated. If I goto the WPcentral app view I get th eupdate button, but again, hitting it makes the button go away. and I go straight to the download screen saying there are no downloads...

Tried turning phone off/on and even a reset, but keep gettting th esame v2.0.0.0 version in Marketplace.

Just tried to get the app through marketplace on the PC, it says it's version 2.1.0.0 on the site but I get the previous 2.0.94 installed on the phone.

Guess I will have to live with it for now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99