Facebook Messenger

v3rn

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I was a bit sad today to see that Facebook released their Messenger app for iPhone, Android, and soon for Blackberry but no word on WP7. I installed it on my Android tablet and my girlfriend's iPhone and the app is awesome. It would pretty much remove the need for text messages completely. It's been getting great reviews and really does an awesome job at messaging. SMS is integrated into the app along with Facebook messages and it supports sending pictures, location, and group messaging. Plus it's fast and very easy to use. It's similar to kik messager but since everyone I know already have a Facebook, you don't need to be inviting those people to sign up for a new service. And it's nice because you know the people will always get the message, either on their phone or on the web.

I sent feedback to Facebook requesting a WP7 app, but I doubt we'll see anything soon. It's too bad because it's an awesome app, but oh well. If WP7 continues to get the short end of the app stick, I'll be looking towards Android again once the Ice Cream Sandwich phones come out.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I would use this if only for the group chat, which Mango does not support. If someone adds you to a group chat you have no way of knowing. I wouldn't mind having this app.

v3rn

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
This is much different than the Facebook chat built into Mango. I have Mango on my device as well, but it's nowhere near as good as the Facebook Messenger app. The chat in Mango is almost like an IM client, the person needs to be online in Facebook to talk to you. This doesn't use the chat, but uses messages instead which is completely different. The Facebook Messenger app is a million times better than what the Mango integrated Facebook chat is. This allows group chatting, and chatting with people who aren't actually sitting on Facebook at the moment.

Instead of thinking of it like an IM client like we have on Mango where the person needs to be online to talk to them. Think of it like an SMS replacement or kik messenger. You don't need to be online, someone messages you and then you get a notification of the message. You can then reply when you wish. It's perfect for messaging people who you want to text but don't have their phone number (but are friends on facebook) and the group messaging is awesome. It's quick to add pictures and locations to the messages as well.

http://www.facebook.com/mobile/messenger

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess Facebook could change their APIs to allow people to message each other regardless of online status in Mango. I think Mango will be a good first step. Most likely if I'm going to message someone on Facebook I'm looking for a realtime response. Otherwise I can send a message from the web, the app or their contact tle (not sure if this part is true).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos