Lack of GREAT Apps..

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess this is part of the early-adopter happy meal. But hey, when WP gets to the number one spot you'll proudly say you jumped the bandwagon because of the OS itself and not because of its popularity. Boy, that's definitely something that I'll brag about :p

I agree. There are drawbacks to being an early adopter but when it gets big it will be worth it.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That's why I chose to be one of the first users of WP7 in a country where there is no support for it (no phones, either) :D I see huge potential in this platform!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No offense to the OP because it's not in reference to you particularly, but to buyers altogether. People should really investigate things like this before making a purchase. I was an early adopter of webOS (Pixi) and was very disappointed with the lack of quality apps as well but I learned my lesson after that (after that I learned about researching quality build phones as well). Thankfully WP7 has apps that appeal to me. Sorry it doesn't have what you need at this point, but don't dismiss it to say it won't have what you need ever.

tjwheels

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I too am disappointed in some of the major players that are not developing WP7 apps. I purchased my Focus on launch day and love the OS Windows provides. I have managed to find alternative apps or do without on most of the missing apps I had on my iPhone. However, this fall I had to purchase an (embarrassed to say) Android phone for the football season. No ESPN Fantasy app, which I could work around by going into ESPN Mobile, but my biggest problem is with the Dish Network and my Sling Adapter, no app and no work around. I have called Dish on three occasions and have been told there is no app planned for WP7. Other apps I would like to see include; HeyTell , Chase and Glympse. The bright side to this is my wife now uses my Focus (no more iPhones in this house) and I have an upgrade available for a new WP7 when they become available this fall.

L

lumic

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Fantasy Football app? It's currently listed as "New & Impressive" on AppFlow. The main issues are with content providers and local apps.

-longpost-
I thought I read somewhere that Mango brings some additional exchange support, though I could be wrong. You might want to check out ABookReader for epubs. It's rather primitive, but it works good enough (haven't tried large epubs though).

As for Google Docs, I can see why it wouldn't be implemented. Microsoft is pushing Skydrive, and business users (theoretically) have Office 365. Honestly, I don't know why you'd choose a Microsoft platform when you want to use competing products.

Mango brings custom ringtones and management built-in.

bruceatk2

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that Mango brings some additional exchange support, though I could be wrong. You might want to check out ABookReader for epubs. It's rather primitive, but it works good enough (haven't tried large epubs though).

As for Google Docs, I can see why it wouldn't be implemented. Microsoft is pushing Skydrive, and business users (theoretically) have Office 365. Honestly, I don't know why you'd choose a Microsoft platform when you want to use competing products.

Mango brings custom ringtones and management built-in.

I checked what is coming in Mango and encryption is not an exchange policy that Mango supports.

I tried ABookReader but I can't open my ePub's until I purchase it.

Google Docs is just something that other products support and it is what I have used to store documents that I want to share with different users that use different operating systems and tools. There doesn't seem to be a way to open or save a spreadsheet anywhere but on your phone using Excel (I don't plan on using Sharepoint). I am a long time Windows Mobile user (starting with Pocket PC 2002, still have an Axim X51v and a Samsung i760), iPod Touch for several years, Android for over a year, and I'm a Windows PC user (except when I'm using my Mac mini). I've always been able to easily move my spreadsheets around to where ever I wanted. I expected the same with Windows Phone.

By purpose of getting the Trophy was to start learning how to program it. After watching the Build conference it is obvious to me that Windows Phone will be a major player when Windows 8 comes out. I'm looking forward to having the cost of tablets being driven down by having something like Windows 8 really making PC's and laptops not really that necessary. I'm expecting the Windows Phone to come along for the ride.

Bruce

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally, its your call jmont. What I will tell you is welcome to the greatest platform ever. I dig it and I'm not going anywhere especially if it's associated with that ad agency. New apps are dropping everyday and most of the big name apps have already arrived.

Patience is your only challenge and by you getting on board, you've already proven you carry that pioneering gene to help shape this device. I'm a huge football fan too but that's why I have a big screen and DirecTV. :) Don't let a development cycle park you between force-close ville and find-a-charger lane. That's the road in the opposite direction and you already know.

L

lumic

I hear you. I just got ABookReader, but I'll have to test it with larger files. There's no image loading though, so if that's what you want you should probably ignore me :]

WP is pretty restricted, which is a shame. I hope we do see a full-fledged Google Docs app soon. What I really like about my experience so far is that majority of devs are kind and respond to feedback. It makes me feel like I am actually part of making the experience better, not just a blind consumer.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Look at today Pulse just went live, there is a bank of America app and many more bank apps every week more apps are coming out. now that Mango is live we will start to see even more apps coming in. heck man this is just short of a year old. at this stage of the game ios and android had not gotten as far as wp7 has in the same time frame. Psst enjoy the fact that with WP7 you don't need to run anti-virus you don't need to have duel cor and be just as fast as a duel... so many good reasons to have a WP7.... enjoy

gmark7

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
windows phone marketplace is the fastest growing marketplace right out of the box. People expect too much from windows phone 7 right now bc they are looking where android and iphone are, but those two have been around for years, WP7 not even a year yet. Give it time, with windows 8 coming out soon, microsoft will be creating an eco-system with their software, making windows phone and windows compatible, it will be like using the same device as your phone and your computer. At first I was skeptical about the windows 8 design coming out, optimized for touch. But that's where everything is moving towards now, and any windows 8 tablet will crush the stupid iPad..oh sorry "the new and thin and sleek iPad 2" (sarcasm there). Apple is a cult, Microsoft basically started everything and they will finish everything

anthonb

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You seem very passionate. I agree with you though. The OS is relatively new. Can't expect a lot of apps at the start. However, when the number of devices out increase and continue to increase, that should attract developers and therefore there would be more apps especially the one you want. But I must say I doubt windows 8 tablets would stop Apple's iPad. It may just target another niche though. Just saying...

L

lumic

Look at today Pulse just went live, there is a bank of America app and many more bank apps every week more apps are coming out. now that Mango is live we will start to see even more apps coming in. heck man this is just short of a year old. at this stage of the game ios and android had not gotten as far as wp7 has in the same time frame. Psst enjoy the fact that with WP7 you don't need to run anti-virus you don't need to have duel cor and be just as fast as a duel... so many good reasons to have a WP7.... enjoy
There are some areas where WP7 is ahead, but local services are definitely behind. There is no official public transport app for my city, nor an app for my supermarket. All these are available on iOS/Android.

That said, Pulse looks grossly overrated. Weave absolutely manhandles it.

Localyf

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi playboy,

Please take a look at ROKUbox, which is an app to control ROKU devices. We hope that you will find it to be a quality app like the ones you are looking for. Let us know what you think.

Thank you,
Localyf Team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss