Lack of GREAT Apps..

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Why is there such a lack of GREAT Apps in the marketplace? By great apps I'm talking about apps that are popular on other mobile platforms that everyone who doesn't own a WP7 device has. Example.. There is no Yahoo! Fantasy Football app. I am the only one at work who doesn't have the app. Why? Because Windows Phone doesn't have it. I recently told a co-worker i had NFL Sunday ticket. He asked me if I was going to watch the games on my phone with the Sunday ticket app. I had to say no due to there being no such app in the windows market :/ His reply to that was, "what kind of phone do you have? Is it a smart phone??" Wow I felt embarrassed. I know mango is coming out soon but i don't see the new OS having anything to do with GREAT Apps being developed and without any awesome apps whats the main draw for WP7? I'm really close to jumping on the Android ship.. anyone have any input?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
waving.gif

welcome.gif

It's probably because the platform hasn't matured enough, it's not yet a year old.

These things take time, heck if the public don't know about the platform thanks to the non marketing of Microsoft, what chance have we got ? (Hoping this will change after the Mango rollout)

If the app you want doesn't exist, it's up to us to keep pestering Yahoo and the likes of the NFL to provide one.

Everybody's needs differ and while a lack of a particular app is dissappointing of course, my main priority is the social networking side of things and the actual phone, texting calls etc.

This is fantastic experience on my WP7 for me. It will improve even more with the Mango update.

I'm also a big XBox fan and being able to earn achievements on the phone and send messages etc to my online console friends is a big bonus to me. I can't do this on any other phone.

If my friends Android experiences are anything to go by, I'm so glad i chose WP7.
(Crashes, resets, slowdowns etc)

I haven't had a single crash on my phone since I got it in October. (How many Android users can say that?)

If you are willing to hold out i'm sure your apps will appear eventually, but if you can't wait, then the choice is yours xxjmontxx. :)

Last edited:

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I understand that it needs time to mature and that is why i haven't jumped ship. Im a huge WP7 supporter. Ive got every model zune and love the "idea" Microsoft has for the platform. But it is really frustrating not to have something everyone else has. The social elements of the phone are being copied by Android.. The ZUNE feature which i love is available on Android. The games are even better on Android. I cant really think of anything WP7 has that is better then what is on Android. I really hope it turns around but like you said "if the public don't know about the platform thanks to the non marketing of Microsoft, what chance have we got ? "

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well i absolutely love Zune on the phone with my Zune pass, it's fantastic if you are into music.

I'm not qualified to comment on Android other then the 2 minutes i spent looking through my friends HTC Wildfire and it was just so dated looking. I hated the icons etc. (His phone has also broken 3 times in 4 months, so he has another one now)

We'll just have to play the waiting game and see what happens to the platform in the coming months / years, only time will tell xxjmontxx. :)

Last edited:

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Idk what your talking about mango itself has turned most apps into killer apps. Most of the big named apps started off mediocre but once mango was introduced some are better if not just as good as there IOS and Android cousins.

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I just want some of the basic consumer facing apps: banking apps such as Well Fargo, dvr manager apps such as FIOS, Comcast and other basic apps. Once those are added then you can add the other things. It funny to me bc it seems like reading the front page of wpcentral the only new apps being adding on a daily basis are games.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Idk what your talking about mango itself has turned most apps into killer apps. Most of the big named apps started off mediocre but once mango was introduced some are better if not just as good as there IOS and Android cousins.

Do you have any examples? I look at the market place and almost 70% of the apps are cheap looking and not worth the space on my phone. Not to even get into the fact that my live tiles never worked the way they were advertised to work. And yes I have uninstalled and re-installed.

I just want some of the basic consumer facing apps: banking apps such as Well Fargo, dvr manager apps such as FIOS, Comcast and other basic apps. Once those are added then you can add the other things. It funny to me bc it seems like reading the front page of wpcentral the only new apps being adding on a daily basis are games.

I honestly don't think I as a consumer should have to email a company to bring an app to a mobile platform. If they felt that the was a chance to make some money or advertise then they would do it on there own.. like they do for the other two major mobile platforms.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Bear-Man hit the nail on the head; it's down to us WP fans to make our voice heard. Whatsapp was on the top of my list, and I can honestly say that I, and many other WP users, absolutely pestered them with enquiries as to where our app is. It took some time, but our voice was heard...

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Some of my fav apps are I dont have mango either,

Stubhub,
Appflow which is great for finding new and great apps,
Dictionary,
Netflix,
ESPN score center,
Slacker,
Weave,
Yelp,
A to b,
Datpiff,
IGN,
Flixster,
IMDB,
Redbull TV,

There's more that I havent even installed.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It takes time for the apps to come. When I first got my droid facebook didn't offer chat with their app but it came eventually. I think with mango WP7 apps will increase in number and quality. I miss some of the cross-platform apps, but I think they will come in time. Meanwhile I enjoy my phone and the apps that are available.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Some of my fav apps are I dont have mango either,

Stubhub,
Appflow which is great for finding new and great apps,
Dictionary,
Netflix,
ESPN score center,
Slacker,
Weave,
Yelp,
A to
Datpiff,
IGN,
Flixster,
IMDB,
Redbull TV,

There's more that I havent even installed.

Dictionary...wow.. great app.. look I mean c'mon.. where are the apps like "High Noon" or "Words with Friends" or "Hanging with Friends".. There are many apps that arent being developed for WP7 and that upsets me. I dont get to enjoy these apps and play online with my friends and family because there seems to be no intrest in WP7. I want to know why that is. Everyone knows that before WP7 release last year it was panned by many and claimed DOA. Has the lack of development in great apps proved those assumptions right?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I stopped using my droid in July and Hanging with friends wasn't available for android at that time. Now two months later it is. Android has been out over two years and it's just now getting a game that is extremely popular on the iphone, so what makes you think WP7 should have them after just one year? I know it's frustrating to not have some of the apps you like, but if you can't wait try one of the other platforms. You have to be happy with your phone.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Dictionary...wow.. great app.. look I mean c'mon.. where are the apps like "High Noon" or "Words with Friends" or "Hanging with Friends".. There are many apps that arent being developed for WP7 and that upsets me. I dont get to enjoy these apps and play online with my friends and family because there seems to be no intrest in WP7. I want to know why that is

I don't agree that there's no interest in the WP. The OS has come leaps 'n bounds over the last year, while modesty boasting an award winning (Windows Phone wins IDEA 2011 – people’s choice design award | WinRumors) OS that stands out as a solid alternative to the Droid and Macintosh. If you look back, time will tell you that these are merely in the pipeline.

Everyone knows that before WP7 release last year it was panned by many and claimed DOA. Has the lack of development in great apps proved those assumptions right?

I really don't see how you can claim there's been a lack of development.

As for those assumptions. I call BS.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree that there's no interest in the WP. The OS has come leaps 'n bounds over the last year, while modesty boasting an award winning (Windows Phone wins IDEA 2011 ? people?s choice design award | WinRumors) OS that stands out as a solid alternative to the Droid and Macintosh. If you look back, time will tell you that these are merely in the pipeline.

I really don't see how you can claim there's been a lack of development.

As for those assumptions. I call BS.

Let me re-phrase then... lack of accelerated development. For me, it seems to be moving to slow. especially how long Microsoft has been in the game with Windows Mobile. Apps shouldn't be the biggest problem and yet it seems to me that it is. Does anyone know what are the driving factors for a consumers choice over a particular platform are? If i had to bet money I would say Apps were top of the list.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me re-phrase then... lack of accelerated development. For me, it seems to be moving to slow. especially how long Microsoft has been in the game with Windows Mobile. Apps shouldn't be the biggest problem and yet it seems to me that it is. Does anyone know what are the driving factors for a consumers choice over a particular platform are? If i had to bet money I would say Apps were top of the list.

You do realise that you're talking about the fastest growing app store at the moment, right?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If apps are the most important thing to you iPhone 5 comes out Oct 5th I suggest you get it so good luck bro, most devs dont know how good wp7 is they look at sales and popularity, wp7 has the fastest growing market place by next year well probably have 60,000 or more devs will come in time and bring there apps and the passion of the community once it grows with bring some devs. Give it time and while your waiting find alternatives if not leave, your way to negative it a phone os that isn't a year old, ms seriously is working there asses off to get devs. Email the ****ing devs yourself you never know like I said.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You do realise that you're talking about the fastest growing app store at the moment, right?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

You see that stat isnt exactly accurate is it.. Look at the quality of the apps... Ive seen many apps that are duplicates of other apps. Just looking right now i see 6 inSing apps..at least 8 Straitstimes apps. They all appear to be the same app. You can not flood the market with useless apps and claim that stat as valid. Its like when they said that Android is the most popular OS and most used in the U.S. Now on paper that was true but in actuality when that was being thrown around many failed to realize that IOS was available on one carrier and on one handset opposed to the many carriers and handsets android was available on. Look around the marketplace.. You will see what I am talking about. There are tons of SPAM Apps.. useless.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If apps are the most important thing to you iPhone 5 comes out Oct 5th I suggest you get it so good luck bro, most devs dont know how good wp7 is they look at sales and popularity, wp7 has the fastest growing market place by next year well probably have 60,000 or more devs will come in time and bring there apps and the passion of the community once it grows with bring some devs. Give it time and while your waiting find alternatives if not leave, your way to negative it a phone os that isn't a year old, ms seriously is working there asses off to get devs. Email the ****ing devs yourself you never know like I said.

I will never get an Iphone. I can not stand Apple. Never have liked them and never will. I want Windows Phone to succeed. My frustration isn't with the OS. I like it, aside from the Live Tiles not working properly and the lack of Apps. but as for that claim about the market place, look at the apps in there. what is the point of growing the market with useless apps that are pointless and mostly put out for advertisement purposes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb