App to stream from NAS or Laptop to Phone?

derekxm

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Is there any app that exists that would allow me to stream music (or video) from a laptop or NAS to my phone? I know that droids definitely have the capability, so I was wondering if there is a WP equivalent. If one doesn't exist, does anyone know if there is one in development?

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You can try "Connected Media" if you have an HTC phone. I don't know of any 3rd party apps though

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
If your computer uses Windows 7, there is a way to set it up as DLNA compatible server without any third party applications. Or if you're using Windows Vista or earlier, the latest Windows Media Player also have media server function.
Media Streaming with Windows 7 - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Also there's NAS brands that includes media server service.

Connected Media seems to be DLNA compatible player. IINM, LG (or is it Samsung ?) also have DLNA player.

Shann0w

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi chaps, Any ideas greatly appreciated. Looking for an app to stream from my NAS without needing to turn the PC on. Any ideas? HTC Mozart.

danmcdan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Also looking for the same thing, my NAS has a static IP adress on my network and has its own power supply, I am looking to stream music and video over my wireless network to my Lumia 710.

Dan

Speedysloth

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm really interested in this too, honestly here I have never seen an iOS app that did it without jailbreaking and going down the XBMC route, which allowed me to stream from a USB NAS drive hooked up via my Airport Extreme Router directly to my iPhone / iPad without a PC acting as a server.

Since updating to a newer iPad I switched to Airvideo, which sadly meant I needed the PC left on to act as a server, but at least it wasn't as clunky as WMC... I still shudder to remember the pain caused by trying to sync my 360 as an Extender... :mad:

If there's an XBMC style app for WP7.5 I will be incredibly happy, if not then Airvideo style would also be ace... If I have to actually convert and load the videos over though... I think I'll stick to the iPad

MangoTastic

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, I use HTC's Connected Media to stream from my NAS to my phone (HTC Mozart WP7.5).

Whilst it does a fairly good job of connecting to my Netgear ReadyNAS and playing media the app could do with some improving to make it easier to find the media you are after on the NAS, such as using the same alphabetic quick jump you get when finding a contact etc as I have loads of media and have to scroll down through loads of artists or folders each time to find what I am after.

The app also has a nice feature which allows you to push media from your phone to other DLNA devices such as Smart TV's and PC's. Very cool for showing off your pictures on the widescreen TV!

I haven't seen any other apps for WP offering this sort of functionality so if anyone knows of any then I would be interested to hear more. :)

Last edited:

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
cPlayer works for music, I don't know about videos. Also, stream player and mymeidahub work fine. Moliplayer also streams pretty great.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12