Why is there no Pandora for Windows Phone?

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The HD7 only has Mono Sound out of the external speaker, that doesn't help, either...

:(

But it's lower than Slacker even through headsets, and the bitrate makes for harsh, noisy sound...

because the HD7 speaker wasn't built for music. Only phone for that purpose is the surround. That's common sense, seriously?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
there's nothing wrong with using Zune and u are not "forced" to use it. Y can't u understand that?

Because I had to install it on my PC to upgrade to mango. And you need to use it to put music on your phone. I haven't used slacker since I got the phone because it played a certain number of songs then asked to upgrade for a fee. Last.fm is pretty good but its not like Pandora.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Because I had to install it on my PC to upgrade to mango. And you need to use it to put music on your phone. I haven't used slacker since I got the phone because it played a certain number of songs then asked to upgrade for a fee. Last.fm is pretty good but its not like Pandora.

so what's wrong with that? Slacker plays alot of music for me and only asks to upgrade if I skip too many songs.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
so what's wrong with that? Slacker plays alot of music for me and only asks to upgrade if I skip too many songs.

nothings wrong with Zune..the music player I used before that was an "old fashioned" cd player..lol. Wp7 is steadily getting up to par with upgrades and lifted restrictions for apps, so hopefully we'll see Pandora too.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
because the HD7 speaker wasn't built for music. Only phone for that purpose is the surround. That's common sense, seriously?

Umm... Most high end smartphones have Stereo output from the external speaker. The HD7 was an outlier there. It has nothing to do with what it was built for. That phone is just terribly designed, period (I'm factoring in the TFT LCD Screen, Poor Speakers/Sound, Cheap hard to press Buttons, flimsy back, small battery, dubious signal reception quality, and poor call quality compared to Samsung's WP7 smartphones to come to that conclusion).

No, it's not common sense to expect a $500 phone that Ballmer said is supposed to double up as a Zune HD to have worse sound output then a $100 Feature Phone.

However, I'll make sure to ask if the next phone I want is "built for music" before I buy it...

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Umm... Most high end smartphones have Stereo output from the external speaker. The HD7 was an outlier there. It has nothing to do with what it was built for. That phone is just terribly designed, period (I'm factoring in the TFT LCD Screen, Poor Speakers/Sound, Cheap hard to press Buttons, flimsy back, small battery, dubious signal reception quality, and poor call quality compared to Samsung's WP7 smartphones to come to that conclusion).

No, it's not common sense to expect a $500 phone that Ballmer said is supposed to double up as a Zune HD to have worse sound output then a $100 Feature Phone.

However, I'll make sure to ask if the next phone I want is "built for music" before I buy it...

all of the smartphones I've had all had mono external speakers. My battery life is fine, sure I do get occasional drops to EDGE but that happened to me on sprint as well with my arrive. Worse sound quality than a feature phone? Are u sure ur hearing isn't going bad?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
all of the smartphones I've had all had mono external speakers. My battery life is fine, sure I do get occasional drops to EDGE but that happened to me on sprint as well with my arrive. Worse sound quality than a feature phone? Are u sure ur hearing isn't going bad?

1. How many smartphones have you had? I mean, I have 3 sitting in front of me. In the past year I have had 6 different smartphones. The Vibrant sure doesn't have Mono external speakers, as the YouTube video comparison of the HD7 and Vibrant sound I posted in another thread clearly demonstrates that it is stereo. All high end Smartphones have Stereo Sound, and have had Stereo Sound for years. There is a marked difference in quality that cannot be missed going from Stereo to Mono. The bad external speaker was immediately evident to both me and pretty much everyone who reviewed the phone.

Maybe you think I'm talking about that fake Surround Sound junk they put in phones like the Surround (which IIRC has a Stero external speaker). I really don't know what you're trying to prove by providing false information...

Consumers pretty much expect all high end smartphones to double up as Portable Media Players these days, and OEMs have to provide that sort of experience to compete with Apple. That's why Samsung packs more CODECs than you can shake a stick at in their Android phones (which are basically Galaxy Players with a cell radio in them).

2. Battery Life is bad. Standby time is incredible (on par with a Blackberry). In use time is deplorable. That's a combination of small battery size and software. Many people noticed their battery life went down noticeably with Mango, as well...

However, I can get ~30 hours of moderate use on my Vibrant. Not on the HD7. And I do that on the Vibrant with a Stock ROM, GPS, WiFi, and Auto Brightness turned on with everything being pushed to my phone. I cannot do half that on the HD7. I use all my devices moderately to heavily.

The other day 41% Power on the Vibrant after 19 Hours 31 Minutes off the charger. This morning, 33% Power after 1 Day 4 hours off the charger. Considering how much I use my phone and how much of the average day I'm actually awake (typically 19-20 hours a day I'm awake), I'm pretty sure an HD7 isn't going to match that because mine can't (and I've tried a new battery) and there isn't enough customization in the OS to try to get it to the point where it can - even at the trivial level - outside of crippling your device with Battery Saver...

3. The GPS is stellar... The Cell Reception is dubious and the call quality is not good. The earpiece on the HD7 is rather low volume compared to my other phones. It's pretty much the same story as with the HD2. I use two smartphones day in and day out, so I get to see the contrast between the call quality and earpiece volume on a daily basis. Sprint and T-Mobile both have pretty bad coverage. I'm not talking about dropping to edge in areas where you have dubious coverage. I'm talking about this phone getting worse reception than another 3G device on the same network sitting 6 inches away from it, and noticeably worse call quality.

4. No, My hearing isn't going bad. You're just mad. If my hearing was bad, I probably would not have noticed the very noticeable difference.

This is all Off-Topic. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

Last edited:

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
1. How many smartphones have you had? I mean, I have 3 sitting in front of me. In the past year I have had 6 different smartphones. The Vibrant sure doesn't have Mono external speakers, as the YouTube video comparison of the HD7 and Vibrant sound I posted in another thread clearly demonstrates that it is stereo. All high end Smartphones have Stereo Sound, and have had Stereo Sound for years. There is a marked difference in quality that cannot be missed going from Stereo to Mono. The bad external speaker was immediately evident to both me and pretty much everyone who reviewed the phone.

Maybe you think I'm talking about that fake Surround Sound junk they put in phones like the Surround (which IIRC has a Stero external speaker). I really don't know what you're trying to prove by providing false information...

Consumers pretty much expect all high end smartphones to double up as Portable Media Players these days, and OEMs have to provide that sort of experience to compete with Apple. That's why Samsung packs more CODECs than you can shake a stick at in their Android phones (which are basically Galaxy Players with a cell radio in them).

2. Battery Life is bad. Standby time is incredible (on par with a Blackberry). In use time is deplorable. That's a combination of small battery size and software. Many people noticed their battery life went down noticeably with Mango, as well...

However, I can get ~30 hours of moderate use on my Vibrant. Not on the HD7. And I do that on the Vibrant with a Stock ROM, GPS, WiFi, and Auto Brightness turned on with everything being pushed to my phone. I cannot do half that on the HD7. I use all my devices moderately to heavily.

The other day 41% Power on the Vibrant after 19 Hours 31 Minutes off the charger. This morning, 33% Power after 1 Day 4 hours off the charger. Considering how much I use my phone and how much of the average day I'm actually awake (typically 19-20 hours a day I'm awake), I'm pretty sure an HD7 isn't going to match that because mine can't (and I've tried a new battery) and there isn't enough customization in the OS to try to get it to the point where it can - even at the trivial level - outside of crippling your device with Battery Saver...

3. The GPS is stellar... The Cell Reception is dubious and the call quality is not good. The earpiece on the HD7 is rather low volume compared to my other phones. It's pretty much the same story as with the HD2. I use two smartphones day in and day out, so I get to see the contrast between the call quality and earpiece volume on a daily basis. Sprint and T-Mobile both have pretty bad coverage. I'm not talking about dropping to edge in areas where you have dubious coverage. I'm talking about this phone getting worse reception than another 3G device on the same network sitting 6 inches away from it, and noticeably worse call quality.

4. No, My hearing isn't going bad. You're just mad. If my hearing was bad, I probably would not have noticed the very noticeable difference.

This is all Off-Topic. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

false information? I've had 3 smartphones and they have all had mono sound. The HTC touch pro,touch pro2 and HTC arrive,they ALL had mono sound as does the evo as well. I did notice that u got banned from XDA, jaja nice.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
He finally got banned? Lol.

As for the other part, it could just be HTC at fault. Though, TBH, only phone I have had with "stereo" audio is an iPhone... (3GS, to be specicifc). Neither of my Sammy Focus/Focus S had that, mono only. It's definately something neat to have, though I'll be real honest: IMO, there is no appicable useage situation for a stereo speaker setup on the phone, maybe if you had to listen to music, alone, in a quiet room, and did not have speakers, headphones, or any other audio source nearby, in addition, were willing to put up with subpar audio quality to begin with, and was alergic to mono audio...

Not to mention, Apple stacked both speaker outputs on the iPhone 3GS (and I see from pics, the 4/4S, too) on the "bottom" of the phone. NOT how I hold my phone when viewing videos, or playing most games. So the audio would be effectively mono, anyways.

If the phone had 4 speakers put in 4 distinct locations (probably can pull it off with just two at opposite corners of the phone, though), then there might be an appreciable effect. But then it would still be nothing more than a dinky phone speaker setup.

Just IMO, of course. As for useage time, I eventually gave up on wifi. Strange, but I get a bit more life with WiFi off, and using an ATT 3G APN (Focus S can use a Sammy Zone app for this), and as for today I got about 3 hours of surfing, 2 hours of GeoDefense out of my Focus S, and went back to hotel room with ~30% battery left. Also syncing 1 hotmail/xbox live account + 1 google apps account (calander & email) every hour. Brightness set to auto+auto intensity (the new update to the extra settings app made auto intensity much more bearable).

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
false information? I've had 3 smartphones and they have all had mono sound. The HTC touch pro,touch pro2 and HTC arrive,they ALL had mono sound as does the evo as well. I did notice that u got banned from XDA, jaja nice.

They're all HTC.

Gratz, you finally realized that HTC uses crappy components in their smartphones.

Anything else?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
He finally got banned? Lol.

As for the other part, it could just be HTC at fault. Though, TBH, only phone I have had with "stereo" audio is an iPhone... (3GS, to be specicifc). Neither of my Sammy Focus/Focus S had that, mono only. It's definately something neat to have, though I'll be real honest: IMO, there is no appicable useage situation for a stereo speaker setup on the phone, maybe if you had to listen to music, alone, in a quiet room, and did not have speakers, headphones, or any other audio source nearby, in addition, were willing to put up with subpar audio quality to begin with, and was alergic to mono audio...

Not to mention, Apple stacked both speaker outputs on the iPhone 3GS (and I see from pics, the 4/4S, too) on the "bottom" of the phone. NOT how I hold my phone when viewing videos, or playing most games. So the audio would be effectively mono, anyways.

If the phone had 4 speakers put in 4 distinct locations (probably can pull it off with just two at opposite corners of the phone, though), then there might be an appreciable effect. But then it would still be nothing more than a dinky phone speaker setup.

Just IMO, of course. As for useage time, I eventually gave up on wifi. Strange, but I get a bit more life with WiFi off, and using an ATT 3G APN (Focus S can use a Sammy Zone app for this), and as for today I got about 3 hours of surfing, 2 hours of GeoDefense out of my Focus S, and went back to hotel room with ~30% battery left. Also syncing 1 hotmail/xbox live account + 1 google apps account (calander & email) every hour. Brightness set to auto+auto intensity (the new update to the extra settings app made auto intensity much more bearable).

For a week :p

If you aren't always near a WiFi connection you will get more life without WiFi on because the WiFi won't be wasting your battery searching for a connection even when you're on 3G/HSPA+/whatever using your cell radio.

WiFi only saves battery when you have WiFi a large majority of the time, otherwise it's not smart to always keep it on.

Also, the Vibrant's speaker is loud enough that it can play easily over some background noise. Easily. Don't knock it til you try it :p

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
kk, I'll keep an ear out for that phone, though I'll probably still be a snob with ATH-M50 always nearby :p

Yeah, I move around way too much to keep WiFi on. Maybe if I had a normal, office, 9-5 job, lol :D The cursed radio tries to date every hotel/airport/cafe/nearbyhouse WiFi in existance if I don't turn it off 0.o. The few times it has been useful for me (normally another country), have not been frequent enough for me to keep it on. I've already upped my plan to 2GB, over the normal 200MB, in order to compensate for my change in behavior.

Well, have fun, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
They're all HTC.

Gratz, you finally realized that HTC uses crappy components in their smartphones.

Anything else?

would u stop bashing HTC and go somewhere? If that was true HTC would he below the industry standard in customer satisfaction. I don't care if my speakers are stereo or not, I have a real surround sound system in my bedroom for that and headphones. Don't tell me ur one of those people who blast music from ur phone on buses or other public settings.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
would u stop bashing HTC and go somewhere? If that was true HTC would he below the industry standard in customer satisfaction. I don't care if my speakers are stereo or not, I have a real surround sound system in my bedroom for that and headphones. Don't tell me ur one of those people who blast music from ur phone on buses or other public settings.

More WorksForMe™...

I have a Surround Sound system, 3 PCs and a Notebook, 3 Smartphones and an iTouch, and more Headphones than you can shake a stick at.

Does not change anything.

HTC has always been known for using low quality parts in their devices. That's how they are so profitable. Selling cheap devices at premium prices keeps their profit margins up even in the competitive Android market. Why do you think they get acclaimed for finally upgrading to using mostly SLCD screens and putting a decent camera in their devices? (see HD2, HD7, G2 camera, even the Evo 4G camera was nothing to rave about). It's fact. Stating fact does not equate to bashing HTC. If no one said anything, they'd still be taking pink pictures with their Titans, Amaze 4Gs, and Evo 3Ds...

HTC was high quality back when they were producing Windows Mobile devices because most of those devices were terrible. They aren't ahead of Motorola and Samsung these days when it comes to the components used in their devices.

Stop trying to attack me and bait me into yet another argument, just deal with it and move on. I already told you if you wanted to discuss it further you're free to PM me. This is still off-topic.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line is there really isn't a reason for WP7 to not have pandora. There are alternatives, but some prefer pandora and some don't. Hopefully the pandora people will get us an app pretty soon.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
More WorksForMe?...

I have a Surround Sound system, 3 PCs and a Notebook, 3 Smartphones and an iTouch, and more Headphones than you can shake a stick at.

Does not change anything.

HTC has always been known for using low quality parts in their devices. That's how they are so profitable. Selling cheap devices at premium prices keeps their profit margins up even in the competitive Android market. Why do you think they get acclaimed for finally upgrading to using mostly SLCD screens and putting a decent camera in their devices? (see HD2, HD7, G2 camera, even the Evo 4G camera was nothing to rave about). It's fact. Stating fact does not equate to bashing HTC. If no one said anything, they'd still be taking pink pictures with their Titans, Amaze 4Gs, and Evo 3Ds...

HTC was high quality back when they were producing Windows Mobile devices because most of those devices were terrible. They aren't ahead of Motorola and Samsung these days when it comes to the components used in their devices.

Stop trying to attack me and bait me into yet another argument, just deal with it and move on. I already told you if you wanted to discuss it further you're free to PM me. This is still off-topic.

Still no reason to nitpick a phone for not having stereo speakers, even tho u never proved which ones did or didn't. Its a non issue, u always complain about non issues. My HD7 doesn't take pink pictures. I hope u get banned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99