I Can't Stand The Marketplace!!

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Count your blessings! When I was on webOS there were 5000 apps. Pickings were slim and only really used about 5. Be glad that you have lots to ignore rather than lots to desire.

Formerly SteveG....but cooler.

germcevoy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Fair point about the new apps list showing similar apps by the same guy. Other than that I am finding the Marketplace catering to all my needs.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
That's the problem. There is nothing that great. Angry birds and ever note. Facebook app was terrible. Their Twitter client (carbon) was the saving grace. A few things here and there. Other than that you were up the creek.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Im kinda 50/50 on this issue. Im surprised at the amount of quality free apps there are, but I dont understand why we get poor man's versions (FB, spotify, words by post, etc..) or clients of- (metro radio-pandora). Also, many of the apps are substitutions for missing core functions like customizing a color or using a pic to create a tile that you can link to something. And the ability to make wallpapers out of tiles, contact apps that do universal search, etc.. This is what I mainly search for in marketplace- fixes for missing functions. I think half the marketplace invole these kind of apps.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What's the point on bringing Android/iOS into this. The marketplace is crappy, who cares what the others are. Makes one think that as long as it's like the other's, it's OK. Why not strive to be better.

Thank you... in pretty much every thread where someone complains about WP or points out a flaw, a bunch of people start comparing it to iOS or Android. It's pointless... WP needs to be the best of the 3, and MS should strive for perfection. Doesn't matter much what Apple or Google are doing when I will have a Windows phone for the next 2 years.

TortueG

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The guys from Appsfire (they are very successful on iOS and Android) told me that their services are coming to WP very soon. With this it's would be easier for us to find interesting apps and for dev to promote their creations.

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I also don't like that after you install an app, it dumps you from the Marketplace to the app screen and you have to reopen the Marketplace and find where you were at. This is really annoying if you installed an app 57 pages down in the Free app list

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I also don't like that after you install an app, it dumps you from the Marketplace to the app screen and you have to reopen the Marketplace and find where you were at. This is really annoying if you installed an app 57 pages down in the Free app list

Hold the back key to bring up the app switcher.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I rather have 500,000 Garbage apps and 800 good ones than 800 good ones and 200 garbage ones.

Just for the sake of boosting the ego.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I just moved over from Android. The Android and Amazon app selection are also dismal. They do have a lot of applications. But nothing is really that interesting either. After a while, I got tired of seeing what new apps are available. I just want to use my phone to check E-mail, use it as a phone, check something quick when I'm out. Everything else is not important.....

wagedomain

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Count your blessings! When I was on webOS there were 5000 apps. Pickings were slim and only really used about 5. Be glad that you have lots to ignore rather than lots to desire.

Agreed! My girlfriend had a Pre since launch, and I moved her over to a Lumia 710. She is blown away by the availability of apps on WP7 already, and has been going a bit app-crazy.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
What is extremely frustrating in the new apps list, is the amount of crap put out by the same freaking developer.

Every day, 15 new apps all by the same guy. And every app he published is only a slight variation of each other.

MS only cares about quantity, so they can announce that they are catching up with the big boys. Personally, MS should be filtering out this unless garage.

Also, stop showing me all these damn foreign apps. Why do I need to see listings for Chinese only language apps??!!

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Well ones mans trash is another mans treasure. I agree that there are a ;lot of apps I would never download in the marketplace there are even more in android market and ios app store Your opinion and mine or may not be the same. Do you really want MS deciding what you want or what apps you can have?

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have purchased extensively from all three of the major app stores, and I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the Android app market experience is the worst of the bunch. They have comparatively lax oversight, so all kinds of garbage gets in. In addition, navigating their market is not fun. It was actually not bad before they changed the look of the app store to a more graphical interface, but it's now much laggier because of it.

The Apple app store is probably the best. Developers focus on their iOS version more than on that of other OSes, and it shows. Also, the store itself is intuitive and searches typically yield smart results. Our Marketplace falls somewhere in between the two. We have the fewest overall number of apps, but per capita, we arguably have a greater concentration of quality apps than Android, although Apple may still be ahead of us there. As far as the interface of our app store, it's better than Android's, but Apple seems to have more polish and a smarter search algorithm. Granted, these are just my personal views, but I think they're probably representative of the whole that has appreciable experience with all three.

wagedomain

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My favorite thing of up-and-coming app stores is when they make the transition from "individual eBooks released as $0.99 apps" to "eBook reads for free bundled with some free classics".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99