Irritating things about Marketplace! Solutions?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I am looking for solutions for two problems I find annoying about Marketplace.

Apparently there is a size limit for apps and games, when I am not allowed to download them on my mobile connection. It would be okay if Marketplace warned me about high data taxes etc. but WHY STOP me from download them? I am on the road a lot and have flat rate data transfer so why can I not choose to download the apps or games that I want.

I hope there is some setting for this, although I havent found one.

The second thing is, why are some apps only available in some regions? Like the app Mobile Server Stats. I can find it when I go to Marketplace on my computer, but when I try to buy it it is not available in my region. I am located in Europe btw. I have tried to contact the creators but I have not got any response. So whats the reason that some apps are "locked" to a specific region?

Thanks a lot for any ideas!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

The limit I believe is 20MB then the app will need a Wi-Fi connection.

There's isn't a setting that will overide this unfortunately.

Perhaps in the future the setting will arrive or 20MB limit increased.

It's just down to the publisher of the apps which countries they want to make them available in I guess.

Welcome along to WPCentral mb-dape :)

The app you mentioned is available in the UK & The States. (As you probably know)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/search?q=Mobile+Server+Stats

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me and for the quick replies! I have been a reader for a long time, and it is a nice community.

I have guessed the limit was somewhere around 20 MB.

I REALLY hope that that limit will be removed, so I can choose to download what I want. I feel like a five year old when the phone tells me it that it wont let me download this big app because it can be costly. If the target for WP7 includes business users and grown ups, why cant we be responsible for our own phone bill?

Enough complained about that.

Okay, so the app creator chooses which regions the app will be available in. I just have to accept that the creator of Mobile Server Stats, LAS Solutions, dont want me to buy their app since it is not available here and they do not reply to emails.

And I guess there is no easy way to change the region that my Live-ID is registred to?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome mb-dape. You used to be able to change your Live ID region if you signed into XBox.com.

I'm not sure if it's still there after their website updates.

I just had a little look and couldn't find it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple has the 20MB limit too. For Apple, I think the limit was put in because the carriers didn't want people clogging up their data network or something. I don't know if Microsoft put in the restriction because of the carriers too.

Makes me wonder though, I think Android doesn't have this same limit. I wonder why?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
But purpose does it serve? I can connect to Skydrive and download hundreds of megabytes of pictures or documents. I can connect to my Windows Home Server and stream movies and music for gigabytes of data.

But when I am sitting on that boring train for three hours I can not download the game or app that I want because it is 20 MB?

:)

I am coming from Android and there was no such limit there.

I just asked my brother who has an iPhone and yes, it also had such limit, but after jailbraking it he could disable it.

Well, maybe in some future update Microsoft will remove it...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the limit is frustrating for me as well. Where I live broadband internet is not available, so if I need WiFi, to update the HTC Hub for my HD7, for example, I have to drive 20 miles into the nearest city to use the free WiFi at McDonald's, which is about ? the speed of my phones data connection. (confirmed by the app Bandwidth)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple has the 20MB limit too. For Apple, I think the limit was put in because the carriers didn't want people clogging up their data network or something. I don't know if Microsoft put in the restriction because of the carriers too.

Makes me wonder though, I think Android doesn't have this same limit. I wonder why?

Correct, Apple has the same limit for downloads.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb