Android user tied to Google Voice

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Interested in switching over to WP7, since I've become more aware of Android's lack of polish, and am not interested in the iOS devices. I use Google Voice for its free SMS capabilities. Unfortunately, the excellent integration of GV into Android kinda ties me down to Android.

I'm wondering if any of you rely on Google Voice for something like this, and manage on a WP7 with a 3rd party application. Personally, I've heard that GoVoice is pretty good, but I wanted to get some input on how awkward it may be to have a set up like that. More specifically, I would need to use GoVoice to make outgoing calls with my GV number coming up on the recipient's caller ID, and I know GoVoice and other apps are capable of this, I want to know if it really breaks the flow of the WP7 philosophy (in terms of the people hub and what not).

I have no real experience with WP7 so please be nice :)

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
First of all, welcome and thanks for the interest in WP. It is nice to see that other people are realizing that it truly is a competitive third option.

My first experience with WP was with a free Samsung Focus I won from Bing.com. However, the Focus is made for AT&T and I was (and still am) on Verizon. Instead of selling the phone, I decided to use it Wifi-only since my current cell phone was getting really old. I decided to use GoVoice for texting (its typing is much, much smoother than my old phone) and it was pretty much flawless. It had push notifications, it still pushed through contacts, and it Google Voice allowed my texts to be sent to both phones.

That was last October through early December. I am fairly certain that GoVoice has been through a lot since then, but I am not able to comment on it, since I haven't used it.

I do know that it has call capabilities, though I am not sure how it works.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I came from Android, and still use Google Voice for my voicemail. I love it.

GoVoice is the app I use, and it works great. Its not quite as nice as the official app on Android, but its good.

I have it setup to receive all my voicemails dialed to my cell # or my google voice #.

I do not use it to make outbound calls, but you can. It just requires you to use the govoice app to dial out instead of the native dialer. No big deal.

Notifications are good, I get a toast (top of screen) notification when voice mail arrives, and the tile updates showing the number of messages as well. If you want to make sure you are always notified when get a new voicemail, you can always set google voice to email you when one arrives. Because every so often the govoice app will have an issue and require you to log out and back in.

So while its not a perfect app, it functions well enough to get the job done. Mango opened up many API's for devs, and I think Apollo will bring even more, so I expect somebody do develop an excellent google voice app later this year. For now GoVoice serves its purpose.

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
@dtboos: What specifically do you think is not as nice about GoVoice when compared to the official GV app for android?

Also regarding APIs, do you think that Skype's tight integration into the native dialer of the Windows Phone means that Microsoft will have an API that potentially allows tight GV integration in much the same way? Just curious as I am not a developer so I don't really understand API possibilities.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I used to use it a lot, but found it to be too much of a pain in the *** on WP. I've reverted to my real phone number, and only use GV for if I happen to want to text from my computer.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
@dtboos: What specifically do you think is not as nice about GoVoice when compared to the official GV app for android?

Also regarding APIs, do you think that Skype's tight integration into the native dialer of the Windows Phone means that Microsoft will have an API that potentially allows tight GV integration in much the same way? Just curious as I am not a developer so I don't really understand API possibilities.

The one on Android worked more reliably (it is googles OS after all) and was more integrated into the system.

I find GoVoice to work well enough. Its first release wasn't so great but its a bit better now.

I think its possible for API's to be opened into the dialer, but I wouldn't count on 3rd party apps being able to be integrated like skype. They may surprise us though.

Ohgeez10

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I use GoVoice on my HTC Radar. App works well. Unless your family or a very close friend, then I usually give out my GV number. So far no issues on my phone.

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Ohgeez, what about when it comes to dialing out? Do you ever find it annoying that pinned contacts don't have call through GoVoice integrated? Do you ever find it inconvenient to use the GoVoice dialer to call these people. I haven't had a chance to come up with my own opinion on this yet because I can't get access to a WP7 for a practice run

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
jalb, what made a pain to use on WP?

I find the GV app to be very slow, and people would call me and tell me it rang 7 or more times and I would hear one ring, if any. The notifications never worked for me either - it just said +9 on it from day one, even when I made sure every voice item was read. Plus it didn't integrate with the People Hub, so it felt like bolting a kluge on the phone and insisting on using it even though it was not as good an experience as just using the phone the way it was meant to be used. It took a lot of pride for me to give it up, as I was always a real big Google and Google Voice booster before, but eventually I had to admit to myself that while I love the *idea* of Google Voice, with no real integration in WP, it's sort of like taking the long way home if you don't have to.

I am hoping that the upcoming Skype integration gives us some real options in the realm of competition to Google Voice. In a lot of ways, there is really no other app offering like it.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I find the GV app to be very slow, and people would call me and tell me it rang 7 or more times and I would hear one ring, if any. The notifications never worked for me either - it just said +9 on it from day one, even when I made sure every voice item was read. Plus it didn't integrate with the People Hub, so it felt like bolting a kluge on the phone and insisting on using it even though it was not as good an experience as just using the phone the way it was meant to be used. It took a lot of pride for me to give it up, as I was always a real big Google and Google Voice booster before, but eventually I had to admit to myself that while I love the *idea* of Google Voice, with no real integration in WP, it's sort of like taking the long way home if you don't have to.

I am hoping that the upcoming Skype integration gives us some real options in the realm of competition to Google Voice. In a lot of ways, there is really no other app offering like it.

I only use GoVoice for texting, and it works well for that, and I like the notifications and that it is a live tile. While it does not integrate with the People Hub, it draws the contacts and numbers from there, so I don't see much of a problem there. JiVoice is another Google Voice client. However certain bugs prevent me from using it to manage my voicemail.

LeoBloom.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I only use GoVoice for texting, and it works well for that, and I like the notifications and that it is a live tile. While it does not integrate with the People Hub, it draws the contacts and numbers from there, so I don't see much of a problem there. JiVoice is another Google Voice client. However certain bugs prevent me from using it to manage my voicemail.
How exactly do you manage it only for texting? Do your contacts keep two phone numbers for you, one for texting and one for calling? Obviously they can call you via your GV number, but then they would have to have you in their address book when you call from your actual phone number.

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi all!

I hate to bring up a month old thread but I am trying to move from Android to a Lumia 710 and am having difficulty getting goVoice to work properly. I am having text and notification issues. For some reason, when someone sends a text to my google voice number, I sometimes get notified via goVoice but then, sometimes I also get an email and a message in my native messaging app. Text to email is not checked in google voice.

I have tried to contact the developer but haven't been successful yet and thought someone here may be able to offer some direction/solution.

Thanks in advance.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi all!

I hate to bring up a month old thread but I am trying to move from Android to a Lumia 710 and am having difficulty getting goVoice to work properly. I am having text and notification issues. For some reason, when someone sends a text to my google voice number, I sometimes get notified via goVoice but then, sometimes I also get an email and a message in my native messaging app. Text to email is not checked in google voice.

I have tried to contact the developer but haven't been successful yet and thought someone here may be able to offer some direction/solution.

Thanks in advance.

They have had a few updates to it. Which version do you have?

Have you tried Nick's Rumbling and Twitter at @GoVoiceApp

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

It says that GoVoice uses your cell minutes to make phone calls. Is there any app or work around that works like GrooveIP for android? GrooveIP is awesome. Basically allowing unlimited texts and phone calls for free over WIFI or 3G Data.

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site

I am using 3.3F. I guess I am a little confused as to why I get email, native text AND goVoice notifications. In fact, the goVoice tile is not updating automatically and the app only updates once I open the app. What am I missing?

Probaholic1

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I am using 3.3F. I guess I am a little confused as to why I get email, native text AND goVoice notifications. In fact, the goVoice tile is not updating automatically and the app only updates once I open the app. What am I missing?
Well sadly, I think it's more of an issue with m$ not allowing deeper integration with wp7. I also believe that some apps won't update because of the whole thing about having a longer lasting battery life so when the phone is idle it turns off data.

I use GoVoice with my business number and it is somewhat of a drag, but there isn't much the developer can do unless m$ were to give in a little more.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It says that GoVoice uses your cell minutes to make phone calls. Is there any app or work around that works like GrooveIP for android? GrooveIP is awesome. Basically allowing unlimited texts and phone calls for free over WIFI or 3G Data.

GV is not and has never been a VOIP service. It's also worthless to the vast, vast, vast majority of the world outside the US. I am lucky to be in the 403 area code (southern Alberta) which due to some glitch is accepted for GV forwarding- you cannot set up GV without it. For that vast, vast, vast majority of the world's population, Skype is hugely bigger news than any GV app because GV doesn't work for almost the entire world.

We have Skype now- in beta with limitations, but still- Skype.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss