What are the must have apps?

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
My new WP should be arriving tomorrow, I'm looking into what apps I should download immediately. I'm not a big gamer, but I will likely check out a few of the games.

I know I will want:
- Kindle app (no recommendation needed)
- Good weather app, preferably with a live tile that shows current temp/conditions for my chosen location. Amazing Weather which was featured on the main page today looks promising, but are there other better ones?
-Task manager, but I think the built in one in the Calendar will suit my needs.
- A simple memo app. I stress simple. Evernote is more than I need or want in this regard. I just want to be able to create short notes to myself. Syncing with other devices is not necessary.
- I would love an app to play audible files, but I read that none were available until (hopefully) next month. Is that right?

Are there any recommendations for the above? How about other types that I just don't know about?

UVSoaked

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Weather app: I'd go with WeatherMaster if you're will to spend $2 on it. It's worth it imo. If not, there are some good weather apps too. AccuWeather and The Weather Channel

Task manage: Check out "Tasks" by Telerik. The one built in is good, but I still prefer Tasks due to more features (categories, etc.)

Memo app: I recommend just using OneNote, you can even create a tile to create a new note right away.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If your upcoming WP device is an HTC, you will already have a pretty sweet weather app preinstalled: the HTC Hub. If you're into YouTube the official app sucks. You'll be better off with EasyTube or YouTube Pro. As far as notes, OneNote is great. For Twitter, Mehdoh is really good, and Carbon has received good reviews, but I haven't tried it, as it currently doesn't have a free trial. If all you do is tweet and read tweets, however, the built-in functionality will be more than sufficient. The wpcentral app is really good as well, but currently lacks forum support. AppFlow is a great way to discover new apps. Poynt is also great, but doesn't do that much that the integrated Bing functionality can't. If you go to the movies alot I recommend Flixster and RunPee. That's all I can think of at the moment...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Check out CleverToDo for tasks. Best tasks LiveTile. TwoTap Reminder, Weave, SportScores and Parcel Tracker are all worth looking at, aside from those already mentioned.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
tunein radio is a smartphone essential, access thousands of stations around the world. New group lets you create category headings on the start screen.

bpgui

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
This is horrible. Nothing against the poster, but I mean it just shows how terrible the advertising for WP7 has been.

The advertising is pretty much non-existent. I recall seeing a commercial for the Focus Flash a few times and a few of the "Really" commercials where they were poking fun of BB users (where the guy drops his BB in a urinal and immediately reaches in to get it), but that is it. I wouldn't even know WP7 existed if I wasn't a gadget geek. I think a lot of the general public doesn't know WP exists.

Example, I was at my sister's yesterday and she saw my new phone and asked what it was. When I told her it was a Windows phone her exact words were "I didn't know Windows had a phone."

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's bad. I do find some solace in the fact that I've seen a LOT of T-Mobile commercials for the Nokia Lumia 710 lately, though. I wish the other carriers would step it up, as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo