Why are WP7 apps not updated that much often??

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not easy being a developer and not everyone can be a developer but the the tons of apps at the marketplace that have been left abandoned by their responsible developers by not updating them just pisses me off. More than 50% apps at the marketplace don't get updates and they look real bad.

Lets take the official Twitter app for example; I really love this app but suffering with it coz it's too buggy and lacks lots of functions. I have contacted support many times but still no reply. Meanwhile, Twitter app on Android gets updated all the time to bring new features, lots of functions and bug fixes, they even had an update last week and it makes using the app just great, but I'm not an Android fan and I need to fight for my OS to have the best experience.

Facebook app just got updated after so many months of cries from users and I know it's gonna take a looooong time again for us to see another update from them although the app still needs work to be done. I have apps that I've never witnessed updates for since I upgraded from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone and it hurts me a lot and not that these apps are great, the need to be worked on. I mean, how can a developer abandon his/her app?? This developer carrier needs dedication and commitment and not everyone can be one.

We really need to update our apps very often to bring the best user experience and capabilities to all of us in order to enjoy our great OS. What can an OS do without good apps??

What do my fellow forumers think about this issue??

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I know it's not easy being a developer and not everyone can be a developer but the the tons of apps at the marketplace that have been left abandoned by their responsible developers by not updating them just pisses me off. More than 50% apps at the marketplace don't get updates and they look real bad.

Lets take the official Twitter app for example; I really love this app but suffering with it coz it's too buggy and lacks lots of functions. I have contacted support many times but still no reply. Meanwhile, Twitter app on Android gets updated all the time to bring new features, lots of functions and bug fixes, they even had an update last week and it makes using the app just great, but I'm not an Android fan and I need to fight for my OS to have the best experience.

Facebook app just got updated after so many months of cries from users and I know it's gonna take a looooong time again for us to see another update from them although the app still needs work to be done. I have apps that I've never witnessed updates for since I upgraded from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone and it hurts me a lot and not that these apps are great, the need to be worked on. I mean, how can a developer abandon his/her app?? This developer carrier needs dedication and commitment and not everyone can be one.

We really need to update our apps very often to bring the best user experience and capabilities to all of us in order to enjoy our great OS. What can an OS do without good apps??

What do my fellow forumers think about this issue??
Well, I don't know if there is a definitive reason, other than the devs, possibly, don't feel their WP7 apps are worth much development time. Using the Twitter app for WP7 as an example, I almost get as much functionality from using the built-in integration to Twitter that the OS has, than I get from the official app. For that reason, I use Mehdoh as my twitter client. The dev does still develop for it, but at a much reduced pace. He is getting ready to release v2.0 and I believe it will have Facebook integration as well...but I could be wrong.

I also have a couple of apps in the marketplace, which I haven't really updated in a while, but there's only so much "Zune News" I can add to my ZuneNuze app...I mean, the platform is essentially dead, you know?

Last edited:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Xoom, and some of the apps I have on it are getting updated all the time, usually to fix a problem that the previous update created. I think fragmentation has something to do with that.

As far as developers abandoning their apps, that happens everywhere. It may be more prevalent with a nascent OS such as WP7, where developers may be testing the waters. Or, it may be more noticeable in an app marketplace with a fraction of the choices of Apple's App Store.

Maybe I've been lucky, but none of the apps I use have been broken for an extensive period of time.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I say give us the updates when they are ready but make sure they are good. I would rather wait longer for a good update than get a bad update sooner. Remember developers don't have to add patches for screen sizes on windows phone at least not like on Android. A lot of the updates you get on android don't add features they are just patches to fix something or to add device compatibility.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I say give us the updates when they are ready but make sure they are good. I would rather wait longer for a good update than get a bad update sooner. Remember developers don't have to add patches for screen sizes on windows phone at least not like on Android. A lot of the updates you get on android don't add features they are just patches to fix something or to add device compatibility.

This

Sent from my 3G iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss