Verify something for me?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I recently tried a GPS app and discovered it wouldn't work w/o a cell connection. Most the time I use a GPS app is when I DON'T have cell coverage, i.e. in the back woods. I contacted the author and he said it HAD to connect to the Inet in order to make it through the Marketplace. Is this for real???
It is a very nice app otherwise and I would like to use it, but if I can't use it when there's no cell coverage, it is of no use.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone. This tech is exceedingly expensive. The only exception is Nokia's Drive app. The new version allows offline navigation, provided you download the appropriate map ahead of time. But it's only available for Nokia devices.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone.

Umm.. You are mistaken. A cell phone CAN receive GPS signals w/o a data connection. Plain and simple. It's how the app is written to then utilize that data stream. My question is if Windows Phone apps MUST have a connection to the Inet to work.

Look at many GPS apps and disable the cell network and they will still work. Even my 4 year old Blackberry (which still runs) that does not have a cell plan can receive GPS signals, log the track via an app and then save it for future reference.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
You would need offline maps. Unless that app is huge and is providing maps, it needs to hit the network to download images from Bing Maps.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You would need offline maps. Unless that app is huge and is providing maps, it needs to hit the network to download images from Bing Maps.

Maps? We don't need no steenkin maps! ;-)

Seriously, I don't NEED maps. All I need are coordinates; lat/long, UTM, whatever. The app I was trying doesn't provide maps. Just coordinates and a track. So it shouldn't have any reason to connect to the Inet just to run.

bwood100

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss