gleek vs mehdoh

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking for a good twitter app and narrowed it down to these 2...is one better than the other?
I know there are other twitter apps out there like rowi, carbon, twabbit, seesmic, birdsong and etc but after my own research i decided on gleek or mehdoh (they're both feature rich and FREE)...i just want to know what others have to say about these two specifically. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I use both but I use Mehdoh the most. The one thing I don't like about Mehdoh is that when you turn on the app in timeline you have to scroll up rather than down. If you hit reload right after it populates it will hit from the top. Other than that Mehdoh or Gleek you really can't go wrong both are really good it just comes down to what you like. I like both so I use both.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Looking for a good twitter app and narrowed it down to these 2...is one better than the other?
I know there are other twitter apps out there like rowi, carbon, twabbit, seesmic, birdsong and etc but after my own research i decided on gleek or mehdoh (they're both feature rich and FREE)...i just want to know what others have to say about these two specifically. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Mehdoh, hands down. Even when this app was 99 cents, it was worth every penny (and MOAR!)

The Mehdoh UI is what keeps bringing me back. I like it the best of them all.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have not tried Gleek, but been using Mehdoh almost since it first appeared. Both developers (have exchanged messages with both) are committed to making their apps as good as they can be.

But as someone else suggested, try both. Back in January, during the Mehdoh misunderstanding (long story, don't ask) I had 6 Twitter apps on my phone for nearly a week and determined that Mehdoh was still the best for me. Take a test drive.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've tried almost every Twitter client on the platform, and I keep going back to Mehdoh. My favorite feature is how you can swipe to the side to view an image instead of having to click on a link.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've tried almost every Twitter client on the platform, and I keep going back to Mehdoh. My favorite feature is how you can swipe to the side to view an image instead of having to click on a link.

My 710 is in repair right now but if I remember correctly Carbon shows pics instead of links...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Gleek is too far out there for me. I appreciate what Liquid Daffodil does, but not personally a fan (I dislike quite a lot of the I'm a WP7 interface, though it's insanely popular for what it is).

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone able to get toast notifications with the Gleek app? I turned on toast notifications for both apps and only mehdoh responds. Thanks for everyones replies so far!

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My 710 is in repair right now but if I remember correctly Carbon shows pics instead of links...

Yes, Carbon will show some (but not all) pictures in the timeline. Mehdoh swipe works with nearly every type of image service.

apRPhle

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I've played with both enough to make a final decision and in the end Mehdoh won, here's why....

Clean and Simple vs. Flashy and Busy
Gleek was just a little too busy for me and I really liked the clean and simple look of Mehdoh. I also liked how Mehdoh was well integrated. I liked how I could just swipe across to see my timeline, mentions, messages, friends and followers. I also really liked how each list I made was individually on top as well which made it quick and easy to see. With Gleek, I had to go in and out of tiles. If I was looking at my timeline or mentions but then wanted to look at a list I made, I would have to exit out of the timeline and mention tile then click into the lists tile. I just got tired of going in and out of the tiles within gleek.
Also, I felt that Mehdoh had smooth transitions as where Gleek was a little laggy and choppy; I think it's bc there's so much animation going on within the tiles of Gleek app but that's just a pure guess.

Toasts
I noticed my Mehdoh toasts would always work whereas the Gleek toasts never showed up. However, when you turn on the toasts option for Gleek it does mention that you might have to turn off toasts for other apps in order for the Gleek toasts to work. I just didnt like the fact that I had to turn off other toasts options on my other apps when Mehdoh worked perfectly fine without me having to do that.

Links and Pics
I really liked how mehdoh displays links and pics. If there is a link or pic within a tweet you can swipe across to see the pic or link to a website all within the tweet! It was pretty neat. If there was a link to a website within a Gleek tweet, it would just open up IE. I forget how pics are revealed within a gleek tweet, but I THINK they just pop up within the tweet if Im not mistaken.

Live Tiles
I actually liked the Gleek Live Tile better than the Mehdoh one. Gleek would show the number of messages and mentions you had even if it was zero, as where Mehdoh wouldn't show you anything till you actually had a message or mention. I don't know, seeing the number zero satisfied me more than having to look at a blank live tile hahahaha. I would also say the gleek live tile would flip more compared to the mehdoh tile.

Overall
Both apps are pretty similar in terms of what they have to offer with Gleek having a few extra features (gleeks, peeks, ringtones, color codes, etc) but personally for me, those extras just weren't enough for me to keep Gleek. Don't get me wrong, gleek is a real good app and I think if you're a hardcore twitter user you'll like it, but for me, Mehdoh just works.

Thanks again for everyones replies and opinions, I'm glad we have a good and active community here.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
FYI. Mehdoh v2.1 released in Marketplace today. Bug fixes and improvements.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss