I've been with iPhone for 4 yrs but one thing is stopping me from Nokia 920...

superdudeo

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
and that is the Windows Marketplace apps.

I recently purchased a Nokia 710 and I'm mightily impressed with the stock apps but the available Marketplace apps and quality of them are really quite awful.

In fact the only app I use that is better than the iPhone app store is the Spotify app.

I wonder how long it will take for things to improve.

Austinguy23

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I recently purchased a Nokia 710 and I'm mightily impressed with the stock apps but the available Marketplace apps and quality of them are really quite awful.

In fact the only app I use that is better than the iPhone app store is the Spotify app.

Agreed. The apps either don't exist or they're incredibly old, buggy, and lacking of features.

Austinguy23

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Keep a close eye on your critical threads like this one. I posted a thread yesterday criticizing the poor quality of WP apps and it has since vanished.

LOL, I just re-posted my thread complaining about the state of Windows Phone apps in this same subforum and it WAS DELETED AGAIN!

Technically, it's listed as "Moved", but it doesn't show up in any other subforum.

It's disappointing that the mods/admins silence criticism here as it results in just a ****** site.

There are plenty of fanboys on Macrumors, too, but at least they don't delete threads/posts just because they criticize iOS and iPhone (which I've done plenty of).

Here's my post in its entirety. It's relevant to the topic of the subforum and doesn't use profanity or anything so you be the judge as to why it keeps vanishing.

I merged your threads because they were an identical copy/paste post, just like the thread you posted here that I just erased.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Nothing personal. But for users who complain that WP doesn't have this or that app, what did you do "before" those apps became available on your preferred platform. I mean was the world still in the stone age then. Did we have fire and the wheel yet.

Point is, before you stumbled on said app, I assume you still managed to get by every day. You found an app, and got to like it. That's all good. No problem. Today, its not available on WP. So your choices are to stick with what you have, and what you have grown comfortable with. Or, find alternatives and move on.

Believe me, it will be fun to watch all these big names stumbling over each other to release apps when WP reaches critical mass (more than 10-15% market share). But until then, don't be held hostage by these misinformed bozos.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure life was going on before any of the phone or apps. That's not the point people are making. Maybe the apps were there when they went to the platform and they are use to having them.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I think maybe the OP was trying to say that after 3 years the marketplace should have been alot more robust than it is. In iOS you can spend alot of time going through the app store because of the quantity and the quality apps it has. Although you will end up deleting most of them after a week. But they are there. For the Marketplace you have to really dig to find something worth the download and ignore the really bad apps that you see all over, especially if you sort by new.

superdudeo

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Nothing personal. But for users who complain that WP doesn't have this or that app, what did you do "before" those apps became available on your preferred platform. I mean was the world still in the stone age then. Did we have fire and the wheel yet.

Point is, before you stumbled on said app, I assume you still managed to get by every day. You found an app, and got to like it. That's all good. No problem. Today, its not available on WP. So your choices are to stick with what you have, and what you have grown comfortable with. Or, find alternatives and move on.

Believe me, it will be fun to watch all these big names stumbling over each other to release apps when WP reaches critical mass (more than 10-15% market share). But until then, don't be held hostage by these misinformed bozos.

That post just smacks of bitterness. Indeed, after 3 yrs, the Marketplace is woefully under developed and without a decent ecosystem, WP will never reach critical mass. They desperately need to step their game up and quickly.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nov. 2010 - Nov. 2011 (1 year)
Nov. 2011 - Nov. 2012 (1 year)

Considering it's not Nov. 2012 I'm failing to see how Windows Phone has been on the market for 3 years.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Technological improvements are supposed to make our lives easier/more efficient and more enjoyable. I didn't have a sweet video camera on my phone years ago, does that mean I shouldn't expect one on my 2012 phone?

The OP raises a valid concern. If he/she listed the apps they are waiting for perhaps the community could help (novel idea, I know) as opposed to trying to defy logic to justify a well documented shortcoming of Wp7.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Good post.

The problem with apps is that once you discover one you use everyday, it is hard to imagine life before it as it has filled a need.
I have a couple of apps that I use multiple times a day that Im thinking will be hard to manage without, but then I console myself with the new features of WP8 which mean I can do things that I want to that I cant do now

It's a trade off...

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Can you provide a list of apps that you consider important for your use? :)

I second this request. For the most part I find the apps available on the marketplace to be of excellent quality, there are only really a few examples where official apps are poor.

It seems to me that whenever people make this complaint they're really complaining about the lack of fad apps/games (such as Instagram, DrawSomething). This is where the real problem with Windows Phone 7 lies, in that it's currently difficult for big developers to simply port their games over due to the use of XNA.
It's also one of Windows Phone 8's most exciting prospective features, to finally have the right tools available in the form of C++ native code access. When tools such as the Havok engine, Unity, and hopefully Unreal engine are working fully on Windows Phone 8, then the problem should be solved.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
iOS remains the platform for top tier apps. There's no denying it. Even if you think the design language is dated, you must acknowledge that a huge proportion of Windows Phone apps absolutely butcher Metro. It's far more polarising, and I see far more decently designed iOS apps than Windows Phone apps. Of course, the good ones definitely stand out ahead of iOS.

I guess my major complaint with the apps is related to the performance, which is partially the fault of underpowered hardware. I expect much faster launch times and general third-party app smoothness with the WP8 hardware. Local apps and trending services are also sore points.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Man, hardly anyone makes local apps for WP7. I agree that it's a big sore spot.

Also, its been almost three years. And it is strange that some of the big name apps are missing. I remember when every was saying "when mango releases, we'll start getting the big name apps". I guess it's wait for Apollo now.

And for the OP I wouldn't post the list of apps you are referencing. People here would just belittle you and say those apps aren't important, just because they may not use them. Some of these homers really don't get the point.

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaving windows phone to go to iPhone because of the same issue. I need *official* apps for google voice, yahoo fantasy football, yahoo messenger and decent apps for waze and tapatalk (be is a joke).

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not leaving, but those apps would be wonderful. No fantasy football app from yahoo is pissing me off.

I think BE is the most hated app in the world. LOL, and the dev don't give AF.

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had the focus s for the last 6 months. I love the OS, email, metro. Hate bing maps (unable to connect to bing maps error over 3g) and IE, but can live with it. The lack of apps is finally getting to me. I bought a used iPhone 4s, to use for the next 6 months to a year. If WP8 brings more apps, I would come back to the WP fold with a lumia phone.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaving windows phone to go to iPhone because of the same issue. I need *official* apps for google voice, yahoo fantasy football, yahoo messenger and decent apps for waze and tapatalk (be is a joke).

Don't leave just because of Board Express, there are always developers working on things...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss