Antivirus Software Needed?

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 920 today, and started installing some apps, which made me wonder; do I need to be concerned about a malware app? I can't remember if it was said that WP8 OS needs antivirus software or not. Anybody have any input on this?

Shawn

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 920 today, and started installing some apps, which made me wonder; do I need to be concerned about a malware app? I can't remember if it was said that WP8 OS needs antivirus software or not. Anybody have any input on this?

Shawn

It's hard enough to get a legitimate app into the Windows store, you don't have to worry about apps being malware.

You may need to worry about spoofed certs in enterprises. But, apparently that exploit was patched in 7.5

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's hard enough to get a legitimate app into the Windows store, you don't have to worry about apps being malware.

You may need to worry about spoofed certs in enterprises. But, apparently that exploit was patched in 7.5

Hi guys,

as i just moved over to Nokia 920 from Samsung SII, i am still new to this o/s.
so what you guys are saying is that

Windows OS is more secured? ie we dun need to download anti-virus & malware programs?

also

It's hard enough to get a legitimate app into the Windows store,...

it is true that Windows actually test a new app, and make sure it actually works and does not contain "funky dodgy stuff" as compared to andriod which is a cowboy land ?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to install antivirus on my Android and now I don't even bother, there's no point.
WP8? It's as safe as it can be, just don't be stupid and I think you'll be just fine ;)

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
As someone who works for an antivirus company specifically in mobile security, I feel confident in saying you don't need antimalware software yet for Windows Phone or iOS.. Android is a different story however..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kaizoku0506

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I work in security and experiment specifically on mobile security.

The real concern here isn't around an actual "virus" stealing data from one specific app. Viruses aren't nearly as common today as they used to be - antiviruses have evolved to play a lot of different roles as viruses have faded more and more into the background while other threats have taken the main stage. Malware has largely taken over, but isn't likely to attempt to steal data from other apps. While a sandbox escape is certainly possible (See VMware's technology and the fact that they thought they were impenetrable) most malware for mobile devices can steal data from within the confines of the app itself. Remember when you downloaded an app and it said it needed permission to access location data, network connection, etc.? Why on earth does a bicycle maintenance app need access to my location data and need permission to run in the background? The answer is usually poor / lazy coding, but these excessive permissions can allow a compromised application to gather all kinds of data by running in the background, intercepting keystrokes, and transmitting them. That's purely theoretical at the moment as WP8 is such a small percentage of the market that it really doesn't make a very enticing target. Also, like ImmortalWarrior said, Microsoft does a pretty good job of monitoring what goes on the Windows Phone Store (Remember all the issues with Android about 1-2 years ago?) SSL certs are still a big problem across mobile platforms in general, but the one that made news last year involving persistent connections to Exchange servers and allowed remote wipe capabilities to attackers didn't actually affect Windows Phone. Pretty ironic given that it only affected connections to Microsoft Exchange servers... :p

I would love to see something along the lines of a LookOut client for WP8, but more than anything, I want to see Microsoft enable something along the lines of what you can do with Android for Wifi connections. I want to be able to tie my wireless state to a specific cell tower. AKA, when I'm at home, my phone is connected to 2 or 3 specific wireless towers. It recognizes these as my home location and turns Wifi on. When I am at work, it does the same. However, if I'm in Kentucky, it doesn't recognize the wireless towers in that area, and so it keeps Wifi turned off. This saves battery power and also eliminates one of the largest attack vectors for mobile devices, wifi spoofing and data slurping via man in the middle attacks. If that sounded like French to you, do a quick Google search for Man in the Middle attack over Wifi. I do a lot of presentations around this one and have been able to use it to determine who owns a given phone, where they work, what their social security number is, what their banking / credit card information is, etc. This is BY FAR your biggest risk when it comes to wireless devices at the moment. The solution? Turn off Wireless (Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC) whenever you are not at home / work and using them. That doesn't mean disconnect them - it means go into your settings and turn them off entirely. It's not a perfect solution, but it makes you a less enticing target.

gitardood

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi actually that's my concern too -ie why do all these apps want all these permissions that seem unrelated and unneeded ? I would tend to see it the same way as the other poster who said that could cause probs because of the latitude that is granted which seems unnecessary. If it's a matter of lazy coders, why doesn't MS set a standard to adhere to when coding?

draculaD

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
got a trojan from a downloaded file from a wallpaper app. the threat does exist and if it enters in your system its hard to detect!:angry:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Remember when you downloaded an app and it said it needed permission to access location data, network connection, etc.? Why on earth does a bicycle maintenance app need access to my location data and need permission to run in the background? The answer is usually poor / lazy coding...
Here's more information... While lazy coding is a problem, there's more to it than that.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/230008-location-services.html#post2006555

got a trojan from a downloaded file from a wallpaper app. the threat does exist and if it enters in your system its hard to detect!:angry:
Call me a skeptic. Not saying it isn't possible, but without more information, I'd have to say put me in the "I doubt it" camp.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Where did you download it from? How?
Wallpaper app?

How did you detect it? What did it do?

So many questions. An you seem to have made an account just to post this one comment. :eek:rly:

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As someone who works for an antivirus company specifically in mobile security, I feel confident in saying you don't need antimalware software yet for Windows Phone or iOS.. Android is a different story however..

What he said. Agreed. I'd not run my Droid without it. Malware has increased over 200 percent on Droid. And since my Droid is not my primary phone, I really don't care if my AntiViral app is sucking up power or resources.

My WP8? Nope. Not running it. My former iPhone 4s? Nope.

I actually did run "NetQ" on my BlackBerry 9780. Not really required, and was probably worthless, but it was free, used very little resources, and I'd run it once in a blue moon just to say I did it. :winktongue:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
TBH if you exercise common sense, you should be OK, even in Android land, especially if you don't go crazy installing everything in sight.

Windows Phone 8 is a lot more closed than desktop Windows, so despite having the Windows branding, its not going to see the viruses like Windows of old.

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The "Snowden"
It leaks your documents then hides out on you.

Actually, I prefer "Citadel". Nasty little virus. But I guess if you are crazy enough to download a "Gimp" picture loader from an unknown source, you might as well get some.
Citadel is like Herpes. You think you got rid of it, but it just keeps coming back for an encore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers