Protecting my SkyDrive files

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When I was on iOS I had all my files on Dropbox, and it's iOS app had the option of requiring password on launch.

Moving to WP8 I moved my files to SkyDrive, and I searched the native SD app for such an option but unfortunately as far I can tell it doesn't exist.

Is there any other way to protect my SD files except the locking the phone itself?

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Even if you could password protect the SD app, you are still logged into your MS account on your phone, so when you navigate to SD in internet explorer you are also automatically logged in.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah with native Skydrive in the OS among other accounts, it's best to just lock the phone, not sure why people worry about security and leave the main device wide open for anyone to get into if they pick it up.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Even if you could password protect the SD app, you are still logged into your MS account on your phone, so when you navigate to SD in internet explorer you are also automatically logged in."

Here's how I have it set up...

I log out of Skydrive online when accessed from wp8...(Skydrive online - '...'/'Settings'/'Account'/'logout')
When I return to Skydrive via either Skydrive App, IE10 or Bing Search; I am asked to login.

- I am still able to retain a persistent auto login to Skydrive from my Desktop, which makes sense b/c that's where the PW login is stored for that separate access. The wp8 password is stored on your phone if you login and don't logout. If you logout, your PW is not saved from your wp8.

- I can still see my Skydrive albums and photos in the wp8 'Photos' App. I can delete them if desired. But I seemingly do not have direct access to my Skydrive account from there. So...if you want all your wp8 Skydrive Albums and Pics to remain unseen/undeletable...ie protected, you can choose to not sync them to Skydrive from your phone and they should be inaccessable.
WP8 Skydrive sync settings are here: 'Settings'/'Photos + Camera'/Auto upload'/'Skydrive': 'turned off'

I have my albums/pics synced to Skydrive so that's why they are visible to me....but my Skydrive account is still protected from hijack...at least that is my current thinking. I'm not worried about my pics if I were to lose my phone, but I could protect them if desired by 'un-syncing' to Skydrive.

That's my story anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99