Looking for message app like TextNow that allows to send message via email.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

At work I need to send out system alerts from time to time in case my nightly batch jobs have errors, etc.
In the past life as an iPhone user I was able to do this by sending a short email to my TextNow email address.
TextNow would receive the message and alert me.

I do not want to pay to receive sms messages. I am looking for a free solution.

I have loaded kik, im+, whatsapp, skype. I haven't been able to get my im+(beep) verification code.
But so far, it seems like none of these apps offer a way to be sent a message via email.

Is there an app in the WP8 world to which I can send an email and have my phone ring/buzz/notify me?

Thanks,
Sam

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I think that I am probably miss understanding you, but if all your are trying to do is get notified of an email on your phone you can add a sound for new emails in Settings>Ringtones+Sounds.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I want a message app that gives me an email address. I want to send messages to this email address. I want to receive the messages in the message app.

For emails I want notifications off because I get too many emails. (100s per day).

The old solution using TextNow was perfect. If a bad situation occurred my perl script would send SMTP message to my textnow email address. Text now receives the message and delivers it via their messenger client. I set textnow notifications loud enough to wake me up.

So I'm looking for a messenger that can receive messages via an email address.

An alternative solution would be for me to have an email account dedicated solely for emergency alerts. But this only works if I can set the email account to have different notifications (notifications "on") than my normal email (notifications "off").

Anyone know if you can set email accounts to have different notifications?

PS: I tested sending emails to my Facebook email address, but they did not go through to my WP8 message app at all. Which is weird because normally I get FB messages showing up in my message app.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The FB and WP integration probably doesn't allow that, there are funny things like that.

One option would be to build IM into your script and then use IM+ which has push notifications. sendxmpp is a perl module which can send to a jabber user. Here is an howto Send Instant Messages (Notifies) By XMPP (Jabber/Google Talk) From Linux Command Line | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials .

Google Talk is Jabber so there are other clients supporting push like Gchat.

Another option is sign up for a google voice number and use a service like http://www.webtext.com/email-to-sms/ to send the txt to your gv number. GoVoice and MetroTalk are two good GV clients which support push notifications.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss