Looking for a good calendar app

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know a good calendar app that can handle multiple live/google calendars and have a tile that shows more than ONE appointment?

Wish list(maybe the native one does it, please let me know if so)

-tile pin options that let me choose which calendar to show and/or more than just the next appointment. I share several calendars and frequently the tile shows my wife's next appointment, not mine.

-ability to change the calendar an appointment sits on. Thankfully I can choose this when creating new but can't edit after created.

-ability to toggle on/off certain subscribed calendars with ease. I realize I can add and remove in the settings but I don't want to remove, just filter my views more easily.

-more fluid view of week and month calendars. My 'best example' would be 'business calendar ' on android. From month view I could pinch zoom and pan and it has an awesome way of showing multi-day detail by just swiping through the days you wanted to see.

I've looked at the leading ones in the store, the selection of quality calendar apps seems to be way lacking right now.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Week view 8 comes pretty close to meeting all my needs. Not sure how I overlooked it before. Most my calendars are on google and it only lets me view, not edit those appointments. I'd consider that a bigger deal if I wasn't already planning on migrating completely off google due to their recent sync blocking shenanigans.

Am just waiting for MS to update the hotmail calendar like they did with the mail.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am also looking for a better calendar app. Three things I'm looking for:
  1. Better visibility of notes within the days of the month. Right now, you can't read notes you enter on the day 'squares' in the Month view.
  2. Month view when you open the calendar. Or maybe I just can't find that setting.
  3. Need a calendar where I can change the background theme independent of the system wide phone theme. I keep the phone's theme set to dark background, but want a light background for the calendar.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Wpoblation:
1. Not sure what you mean by 'notes'. Do you just mean showing full event tile? I'm not sure you could even find a desktop calendar program that shows notes.
2. The app we've been discussing(week view 8) has a pretty decent month view.
3. I'm with you on this one, I've tried some apps that do this but are lacking in other areas.

I've settled on a compromise of using a combo of native and the week view 8 app. Since both use the exact same data I can use live tiles as a shortcut to either depending on if I'm wanting to view a week/month (the 3rd party app) or add/change an appointment to a gcal (native). If light view is important to you maybe you could find an acceptable combo as well.

Not ideal but not a horrible work around for now.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Another app I found: Week View 8, similar to Appointile but cheaper.i just wish one of these calendar apps is free or will go free soon...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

phander

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Try vsyscalendar wp8.
I use it for handling multiple google calendars. Muck around in settings to get a look you desire. On my livetile is a month calendar flipping to my next few appointments. Needs some work on the looks but works well.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Vsyscalendar is very good. Especially since it syncs separately to gcal. Google keeps playing games making native syncing to their services harder.

Only thing I wish it'd do is let me filter out seeing some gcals on my mobile. It forces you to see all of them. If a guy has a lot of low importance calendars like sports schedules, sunrise/sunset times, etc that clutters things up in a hurry on mobile.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Could you run two calendar apps? Email the developer of vsys?

I did email the developer. Thanks again for the lead. I'm disappointed that I didn't run across it in the store because it has numerous good reviews. I've done many 'calendar' app searches and usually get a small handful of decent results along with a bunch of bad results. Didn't have as much trouble finding the good apps in the android store.

Makes me worried about new developers gaining traction if the store search isn't that helpful.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Wpoblation:
1. Not sure what you mean by 'notes'. Do you just mean showing full event tile? I'm not sure you could even find a desktop calendar program that shows notes.
I've settled on a compromise of using a combo of native and the week view 8 app. Since both use the exact same data I can use live tiles as a shortcut to either depending on if I'm wanting to view a week/month (the 3rd party app) or add/change an appointment to a gcal (native). If light view is important to you maybe you could find an acceptable combo as well.
By notes, I mean just text entries entered for those day(s). For example in my Samsung GS3 and even my older Samsung Galaxy Captivate, you tap the calendar, it opens up in Month view automatically and if you have written some text entries for certain days (appointments/subjects), you can eyeball them all from the Month view. The text itself is readable from the Month view without having to tap into a specific day. In Windows Phone, you just see some non-legible letters that sorta tells you that something is written for that day.
My workaround for now is pinning Chrono Calendar to the start screen. It can show several lines of text on the start screen (unlike the native Windows calendar), then when you tap the app, it will open up and default to a very eye friendly Month view (muted background that doesn't strain my eyes). Yay for a non dark background theme! The screen is divided into two halves: the bottom half is the Month view which has black dots to represent something going on for that day. You still have to tap that day in order to see the specifics but at least it instantly shows up on the top half. Hope the developer creates a bigger Month view.
Curiously, the native WP8 calendar has stopped showing events on the double-wide tile. It used to before, is there some setting to it? My older Samsung Focus still shows stuff on the double-wide tile and they both pull from the same Windows Live calendar.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Try vsyscalendar wp8.
I use it for handling multiple google calendars. Muck around in settings to get a look you desire. On my livetile is a month calendar flipping to my next few appointments. Needs some work on the looks but works well.
Nice! But again I wish it's free/at least cheaper. Just can't spend $3 on a calendar app, sorry.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Nice! But again I wish it's free/at least cheaper. Just can't spend $3 on a calendar app, sorry.
This is the worst effect the iPhone had on apps. Back on WM5/6, it was not uncommon to pay $5-$20 for a good mobile app, especially for a calendar (like Pocket Informant or similar). $3 is skipping a coffee for a day or two if you really have a tight budget that won't allow you to spend $3..

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
This is the worst effect the iPhone had on apps. Back on WM5/6, it was not uncommon to pay $5-$20 for a good mobile app, especially for a calendar (like Pocket Informant or similar). $3 is skipping a coffee for a day or two if you really have a tight budget that won't allow you to spend $3..

I bought Appointile back in the days and more recently Week View. I don't mind the money, but I still think the built in calender in Windows Phone is terrible and should bring more functions. Because of that I understand why some people might think that 3 Dollars are too much.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I bought Appointile back in the days and more recently Week View. I don't mind the money, but I still think the built in calender in Windows Phone is terrible and should bring more functions. Because of that I understand why some people might think that 3 Dollars are too much.
$3 is insignificant if you utilize the trial and like it enough to buy. If MS and Nokia charged $3 more but had an amazing built-in calendar instead of the basic one we have now, you wouldn't bat an eye when at the retail store and paying $100 vs $103 or $500 vs $503. Plus, with the app you get continual updates for the life of the app instead of ~1 update a year from MS/Nokia that may never improve the calendar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb