Audio book player for mp3s

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Ive got some books in mp3s that Id love to listen to on my wp8 device.
I can use the built in music player, but it doesnt remember where I am in each book.
Audible i cant figure out how to set up to use my allready existing mp3 audiobooks.

Any good apps for this?

Thargoid

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure on the answer, but I can tell you that Audible definitely won't work as it plays a different file type. It just won't see your MP3's etc.

Joseph Davis

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The answer as of right now is no. There is some apps like audiobook player that you can get to work with quiet some effort on some level, if you search audiobooks on in the market you will see a few apps that made a effort at this. This sadly was a deal breaker for me, I listen to Audiobooks and Podcasts all day, after spending the last 3 months in frustration to get a decent audiobook solution, I have finally gone back to my android. I hope someone comes out with something decent soon cause I sure miss using my windows phone, but as I said for me this was a deal breaker.

MrSmileyy

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a lot of audiobook players in WP8 with my Lumia920... For now, they _all_ suck. Most of them are for WP7, and can't access the phones memory. You have upload your mp3 files to skydrive or dropbox, and download them to the phone. Most of them crash during transfer, and if you are able to get something through, the player usually forgets your last position. Why is is so hard to make a decent audio player in wp8?
Question: What up with all the super crappy audio players on WP8??? Fine, they play most music formats and the quality is ok, but you can't fast forward, skip or jump! You have to start every song/audio file from the start. Why is that? _ALL_ music players in wp8 so far, can't skip, fast forward or jump. Android and iOS supports finger swiping on the progress line, but no such thing in wp8.

mike1810

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why this is such a difficult app to make. Or why MS doesn't include it as an update to the vanilla music player. The files are listed as Audiobook in WMP, so why not have a separate section of the music player for them as with iTunes? It's 2013 guys.

As for those upload to Skydrive dowmnload to phone apps...why? Too much hassle.

jrbudda

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking into this from a developer POV and the reason it's so hard is because Microsoft does not allow WP8 apps to access files on the phone, except files the app itself creates or downloads. By downloading the mp3s from skydrive the app can put the files into its 'private' storage and play them from there. Additionally custom music players cannot access the 'background' music player, so the app has to always be open to play.

There's a number of petitions over on Feature Suggestions: Hot (29068 ideas) to remove these limitations or add better audiobook support to the native WP8 player.

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Look at my app Digital Audio Book. It is able to remember last position in each file, he can download books locally with SkyDrive, via RSS for example with Librivox podcasts or through the local server, which you can download here-http://sdrv.ms/1aiM1Yr
Yes, the application fee, but the limitations of trial version allow you to listen to the books without advertising and reminders about the trial.

Digital Audio Book | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

p.s. I start a new thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...-digital-audio-book-audiobook-player-wp8.html

Last edited:

bobdilan1984

May 23, 2017
Visit site
For me the best app for audio book on Windows 10 is Media Store. It is a directory music and video player. You can use directory as playlist.

To Use directory as playlist - I put music file ( .mp3 ) in the root of directory:

Apple

- Banana.mp3
- Peache.mp3
- Lemon.mp3

And get:

Apple [Playlist]

- Banana [Song 1]
- Peache [Song 2]
- Lemon [Song 3]

You can download it here.

Media Store - Microsoft Store
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nqbh9bw9jpx