What the heck happened to USAA app?

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Besides not being able to deposit a check, I can do everything via their very well laid out mobile site. *Shrugs* it works for now.

Which is the absolute only reason I need an app. I don't even check my balances and pay bills via the web site. But snapping a picture of checks written to me via my phone is a metric ton better than lugging out my scanner, plugging it in, getting the software running, scan the checks and submit them via the USAA web site on my PC.

I'm using my iPad for Deposit@Mobile now. My friends are using WP7. I sure wish I could use my WP8 instead.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I did find the USAA.xap file if anyone knows how to install it
How in the wworld did you get that? I would REALLY appreciate if you uploaded it though! If your phone is dev unlocked, just use the deployment tool 😃

Sideloading would only work, AFAIK, if it was currently available on WP8 marketplace. Of course, that leads me to believe that the sideloading feature is only good for transferring large xap files to someone so they don't have to download over their phone. But hey, you can always try it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sideloading would work for those of us with developer-unlocked phones, but the way I understand it, Mystictrust is right, and you can't sideload unless it is in the Marketplace. Now, to be sure, this would require testing, but it is possible (and I have no idea what odds to give it), that you could install it from a microSD card since the store does track purchases (including free) that you've made. I don't know with 100% certainty that the app still has to be in the store. It would be worth a shot.

Then again, I haven't done a store app by sideloading it, so I don't know the process off the top of my head. If it requires that you go to the app's page in the store, then it won't work.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This app was available for WP8 but it was pulled a couple weeks after the release. My guess is because of issues with mobile deposit :/. I wish they would update it already.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sent a very wordy complaint off to USAA vs the Message functionality of the website after logging in. Canned response, of course, but I guess I've at least thrown my hat into the ring:

We recently evaluated our Windows Phone 7 app to determine the level of effort required to ensure the application functioned accurately and securely on Windows Phone 8. Unfortunately, due to the amount of work required and the limited adoption by our members and the industry at large, we will not be updating the USAA Mobile App for Windows Phone to support Windows Phone 8 at this time.

To ensure we are good stewards of our members' money, USAA is continually monitoring industry and member trends to help determine what devices and platforms we develop mobile applications for. Adoption trends change over time. As the Windows Phone adoption grows we will determine when to re-enter the Windows Phone Marketplace.

As an alternative to a native mobile application, mobile.usaa.com was recently redesigned to give members fast, accurate and secure access to USAA whenever and wherever they are - directly from their devices web browser.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Which is the absolute only reason I need an app. I don't even check my balances and pay bills via the web site. But snapping a picture of checks written to me via my phone is a metric ton better than lugging out my scanner, plugging it in, getting the software running, scan the checks and submit them via the USAA web site on my PC.

I'm using my iPad for Deposit@Mobile now. My friends are using WP7. I sure wish I could use my WP8 instead.

Don't know if you're aware, but just about any UPS shipping store can deposit any check for you in about two minutes. I use that instead of scanning it in with my computer, and it's a whole lot less of a hassle when I'm already out and about doing stuff to pop in and deposit a check. They're open early and late too.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ok... so I finally had a chance to see if they are correct in saying you can only save to the photo library.

False.

There is a new API in WP8 which is the Windows.Phone.Media.Capture namespace. This includes the ability to receive a raw capture frame and choose whether to save it or not.

Lenses use it.

This shows the API sequence - if you don't want to save, don't call the last entry:

Capture.PNG

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The issue may be a change in the way WP8 handles the old PhotoChooserTask function. I need to repeat these tests with the same version of the app, but I need to charge my old Titan first. My quick tests with different versions of the app show that the PhotoChooserTask running on a WP7 device does not leave a copy of the taken picture in the camera roll. The same app (built for WP7) running on WP8 does leave a copy and then uploads that copy to SkyDrive if that's configured. These two unintended copies may be the security problem that USAA is referencing.

I do not know if a copy is stored when the same function is used from a WP8 native app. That's something that I may be able to test tomorrow.

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately I've had the app since I got my Lumia 920 in November. Right now it still works fine, including the mobile deposit. But if it does stop working or I lose the app for some reason, I'll be quite annoyed. It's extremely important for me to have this. I'll be contacting USAA in the morning.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately I've had the app since I got my Lumia 920 in November. Right now it still works fine, including the mobile deposit. But if it does stop working or I lose the app for some reason, I'll be quite annoyed. It's extremely important for me to have this. I'll be contacting USAA in the morning.
Did you learn anything from USAA, I wish I still had it on my 920, I would really like to have it back soon. I am nowhere near a USAA branch and depend on mobile deposit to deposit checks :/.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Now if I could just figure out a way to install an XAP file on WP8 that doesn't contain an SD card...
There is no XAP from USAA. The xap mentioned in this thread was downloaded from the WP Store itself (as you can with every app, if you want to bypass downloading by phone and sideload it - I think you do need an SD card for that). The phone checks to see if the XAP is valid on the marketplace when loading it, and marks it as invalid since USAA pulled it from WP8 marketplace.

WP user

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
With comScore showing that Microsoft's share of the smart phone market is shrinking (3.6% in Q3 2012 and 2.9% in Q4), it is understandable why they pulled app. That is a 20% change the wrong direction! It just doesn't make business sense to invest money in a small, and shrinking, market. I am sure if the platform turns around, they will jump on it. We frankly just aren't a big enough user group. Go buy more WP's!

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
With comScore showing that Microsoft's share of the smart phone market is shrinking (3.6% in Q3 2012 and 2.9% in Q4), it is understandable why they pulled app. That is a 20% change the wrong direction! It just doesn't make business sense to invest money in a small, and shrinking, market. I am sure if the platform turns around, they will jump on it. We frankly just aren't a big enough user group. Go buy more WP's!

These analyst's are all over the place...there was another one over a week ago that said WP adoption had increased and now was in 3rd place...this one says 4th...

The amount of work required is neglible as they just farm this off to 3rd party developers...they will make it if people complain

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99