Fuse News reader eating battery?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed any battery drain with Fuse? My 920 has excellent battery life, 2+ days normally, but a few times Battery Widget's graph has shown a huge power drain starting and then spiraling down. I tried multiple things and think when I removed all the RSS feeds in Fuse and restarted it fixed it.

It happened again today and I immediately removed the feeds in Fuse, restarted and my battery graph leveled off right away. I'm wondering if it's an issue where a bad URL is encountered by Fuse and it keeps requesting it or some other bug that causes Fuse to drain my battery.

Anyone else seen anything like this? It may even be another cause, but my experience so far is implicating Fuse.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Every third post is "This App X Eats My Battery". I doubt it's Fuse and is a coincidence.

Really, every third post? I just skimmed down the entire first page of this forum and did not see another 'App X Eats My Battery' post. Not that they don't exist, I have seen many myself. The difference is I have a specific scenario and a specific solution that worked twice and appears to implicate Fuse. Before I contact the developer and share this with him I would like to see if anyone else has experienced this also.

But thanks for your extremely unhelpful response.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Really, every third post? I just skimmed down the entire first page of this forum and did not see another 'App X Eats My Battery' post. Not that they don't exist, I have seen many myself. The difference is I have a specific scenario and a specific solution that worked twice and appears to implicate Fuse. Before I contact the developer and share this with him I would like to see if anyone else has experienced this also.

I will second that it is likely a coincidence. Sometimes a rogue app doesn't die and it eats away your battery. I have GREAT battery life in general but once every couple weeks, it just tanks 50% in 2-3 hours of non-use with no open apps. A soft reset gets it back on track.

I don't have Fuse installed.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Also, have a look in the device specific forums. It seems there are 5 posts a day with someone claiming they found the elusive battery drain issue and think it is related to some random app. In 99% of the cases, it isn't.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, have a look in the device specific forums. It seems there are 5 posts a day with someone claiming they found the elusive battery drain issue and think it is related to some random app. In 99% of the cases, it isn't.

I think there are probably multiple apps that are causing drain issues, hence the reason it can be hard to track down. And if users can replicate the issue and and resolution that's a great help for developers.

Ultimately it's an issue with how WP8 monitors the battery and application resources. Regardless, my scenario is pretty explicit in how to determine if a power drain is the result of Fuse. If anyone with Fuse sees similar issues and results please post. If I get enough evidence to suggest it is Fuse, either through this forum or my own experience I'll contact the developer.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Next time it happens, just soft reset and see what happens. I still remain skeptical it is Fuse. I think it is an OS issue.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Next time it happens, just soft reset and see what happens. I still remain skeptical it is Fuse. I think it is an OS issue.

I'll give it a try and let you know. I can usually tell in a few minutes as the battery line looks like a ski slope and then suddenly levels off when it (somehow) gets corrected

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I have been in your shoes - am a dev and have only found one 100% reproducible battery drain case where an app that is never even run drains the battery - but uninstalling it removes the battery drain. I've also believed other apps I've installed are the cause of drain. However when conditions change (running/suspending/reinstalling/moving away from a hard reset etc.), it typically causes the results to change and is not so reproducible.

Given that many apps are randomly called out for battery drain problems, I believe the primary issue is an OS one not an app specific issue. People cannot be making so many apps consistently badly, and if an app was causing an issue then hundred/thousands of people would call it out by association like you have done. I.e. the forums would be littered with people complaining about Fuse. But they're not, they're complaining about A, B, C, X, Y, Z.

Now some apps do have specific issues and are called out - Nokia Drive is one - but most apps that people claim to be the cause of a battery drain issue, are likely not.

That's not to say your app doesn't have a problem. Have fun investigating.

Ardeshir_Mir

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have this problem with Fuse, although the live tile doesn't work, when I wanted to pin my Technology group it said that "This live tile wouldn't be able to be automatically updated due to background agent limits", but I have the battery drain problem with the Weave news reader, the app is much nicer than Fuse, especially the live tile is gorgeous, but whenever I pinned it to my start screen the battery life dropped dramatically.

SelesGames

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed any battery drain with Fuse? My 920 has excellent battery life, 2+ days normally, but a few times Battery Widget's graph has shown a huge power drain starting and then spiraling down. I tried multiple things and think when I removed all the RSS feeds in Fuse and restarted it fixed it.

It happened again today and I immediately removed the feeds in Fuse, restarted and my battery graph leveled off right away. I'm wondering if it's an issue where a bad URL is encountered by Fuse and it keeps requesting it or some other bug that causes Fuse to drain my battery.

Anyone else seen anything like this? It may even be another cause, but my experience so far is implicating Fuse.

Fuse is not draining your battery at all. Fuse is fine.

On a related note, Weave does not drain your battery either!

It's the OS, plain and simple.

The way live tiles work, is that at *most* they can run every half hour as a background process for a *maximum* of 25 seconds, and during that 25 seconds can use no more than 11MB of memory.

That means that when you pin a tile to your home screen, at most it runs for 20 minutes of time per day total (assuming it runs 48 times, for the max 25 seconds each time).

In reality, live tile updates are procced way less often than 48 times a day.

Have you ever had a Windows computer laying about that is on but you're not using it at all, not downloading anything, literally doing nothing with it. And you look at the computer and the HDD light indicator is going crazy all the time, and you're wondering "What is it doing? Why is it wasting electricity when I'm not doing anything with it at all?". Yeah, basically that, but for phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs