Petition For Google Apps on WP

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Which Google Apps did you have in mind? Like Google docs?

I'm not opposed to this, but I think it will be a cold day in **** before Google does it.

I've used Google docs and the rest and personally I've found Microsoft Office Web Apps to be far more capable and responsive. If you go for the paid version (Office 365) it's even better, basically like a full on cloud based version of Office. I also like SkyDrive much more than Google Drive and I have a SkyDrive app and access on every device I own including my Android tablet.

So I wouldn't mind seeing Google Apps on Windows Phone, if it will attract new users, but personally I don't use them at all. Not because I'm afraid of Google infomining me so much as I just feel the Microsoft equivalents are superior in every way that matters to me.

If you haven't tried them, I recommend giving them a shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Office Web Apps | Share Office Online | Browser Based - Office.com

Try Office 365 for free for 30 days | Microsoft

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.

I wonder if I could start a petition to stop WP people from creating petitions about WP?

I'm in on this.

People are starving in Rwanda and being hacked to death in Sudan and people are making petitions about Windows Phone.

Get real people. If you're going to bother with a petition, at least make it about something that really matters, not first world problems.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used Google docs and the rest and personally I've found Microsoft Office Web Apps to be far more capable and responsive. If you go for the paid version (Office 365) it's even better, basically like a full on cloud based version of Office. I also like SkyDrive much more than Google Drive and I have a SkyDrive app and access on every device I own including my Android tablet.
I wholeheartedly agree, but I do have to ask.. what does Office 365 offer that Office Web apps doesn't? You can still create and open up a document in both the browser and in Office (2010 and later), and can simultaneously edit in both versions. Also, Office 2010 allows you to save a file directly to your SkyDrive for future editing/syncing. I'm genuinely curious what else Office 365 brings to the table.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree, but I do have to ask.. what does Office 365 offer that Office Web apps doesn't? You can still create and open up a document in both the browser and in Office (2010 and later), and can simultaneously edit in both versions. Also, Office 2010 allows you to save a file directly to your SkyDrive for future editing/syncing. I'm genuinely curious what else Office 365 brings to the table.

Our company just switched to 365 and I'm wondering the same thing, lol.

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm in on this.

People are starving in Rwanda and being hacked to death in Sudan and people are making petitions about Windows Phone.

Get real people. If you're going to bother with a petition, at least make it about something that really matters, not first world problems.

Um And i thought this was the place for discussion about Windows phone not Africa
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

This stuff:

Plans & pricing

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Which Google Apps did you have in mind? Like Google docs?

Although many seem to think Microsoft should launch/buy a Youtube competitor, I just don't see the business case for it. Competing in that field would cost hundreds of millions of dollars while offering almost no profit earning potential. I also fail to see what Microsoft might be missing out on, should they choose to ignore the field entirely. So, as long as we have metrotube, I think we are fine.

I do think Microsoft needs to compete with Google Reader though. RSS subscriptions need to sync to the cloud and across all Microsoft franchises (IE10, Outlook 2013, WP, Xbox, W8RT).

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That link didn't answer my question directly in regards to web apps, but it prompted me to browse for a bit and I found this awesome nugget:

Away from your PC? Office 365 Home Premium and Office 365 University subscribers can stream full versions of Office applications to any Internet-connected PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8 using Office on Demand.
Now I understand what you meant by full cloud based... streaming the full version of Office, not just the limited web apps that we all get for free. Good stuff!!

Last edited:

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
why? microsoft apps can do anything and everything google apps can.
plus google is among the worst company in the world anyway as they don't give a rat ass about your privacy and is available to sell all your emails, messages, addresses, numbers, and personal info for a few dollars online to advertisers for them to haunt you through eternity.
Be smart, don't use google.

Right, because Microsoft is an angel who would never dream of violating your privacy rights?

The real "smart" thing to do would be to keep tabs on your privacy settings, and exercise overall caution (and common sense) while online.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to bother with a petition, at least make it about something that really matters

...or something that can actually be changed by a petition. If it's not in Google's business plan to build apps for WP, no petition is going to force their hand.

"Wow, look, a petition signed by the entire 2.9% share of Windows Phone users for us to build apps on their chosen platform for which we'd already decided we weren't going to build because they only have a 2.9% share. How cute."

(Quoted share percentage was an anus extractus figure, but I know it's not too far off.)

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Bah humbug, I switched away from google and dont want to use it again, I use Bing for search as well. Only thing worth using is Google Maps and only up until MS catch up. Anyways Google have said they dont plan on making any apps for WP8 anytime soon and I hope they dont!

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Bigger fan of MS than Google. Instead of a petition, maybe other companies should create better products and services than what Google offers...rather than depending on them. Or they could be like another company and sue everyone's asses off. lol

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Right, because Microsoft is an angel who would never dream of violating your privacy rights?

The real "smart" thing to do would be to keep tabs on your privacy settings, and exercise overall caution (and common sense) while online.

Agreed.

I do think MS is less invasive about your personal info, but it's not because they are trying to be nice.

If they had thought of Google's clever ad revenue model first I'm sure they would have done it.

That said, I still trust Microsoft more than Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3