Molome coming?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Instagram competitor Molome teased by founder. Coming soon to Windows Phone? | Windows Phone Central

So... I just DLed Molome on my iPhone 4S to check it out. Molome is an Instagram clone, but it looks like it has a fairly decent amount of success amongst Symbian, Android, BlackBerry, and MeeGo users. It's more popular and has more users than any of the Instagram clones available for WP (EyeEm, Fhotoroom).

If we wind up never ever getting Instagram, I think Molome could be a worthy replacement.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There are enough apps out there than can do the same thing as Instagram, but people will not use it, unless their friends use it.
As many have said before, its the social aspect of it that draws people to continue using it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right.

My point is, though, that Molome has an already existing and evidently rather large user base already.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confused; everywhere I read about this, it doesn't mention iOS - OP, are you saying the app is also available on iOS?

Also, I understood that Molome would allow you to post to Instragram as well?

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The strangest thing about this is that you can somehow post to Instagram? so post to IG with Molome and use Metrogram for IG on WP8? haha

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
MS/Nokia should get some popular celebrities to start posting their pics on this service instead of Instagram and I bet you that most people will follow the herd and switch over.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is an iOS app available, it's just not shown on their website for some reason. *shrug* Check the App Store.

I am not aware of a connection between Molome and Instagram which would allow the former posting to the latter. I don't see anything in the iOS app which would allow for this. I'm talking about as a replacement for Instagram in the WP world if we never get Instagram. Given the already existing, fairly large user base - and the existence of apps not only on iOS but on Android, Symbian, and pre-BB10 BB as well - that when the WP app is available it wouldn't be hard to get people on other platforms to try it out (unlike EyeEm - which has a very small user base - and Fhotoroom - which is available ONLY on WP). Especially if - as squire777 says - Molome got some high-power folk using it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re the Instagram connection - the founder of Molome teased something about this last month. I said that MOLOME is Instagram's friend and I meant it ! ;) | MOLOME™

Huh.

Well. If Molome comes to WP (and WPCentral just posted a blog confirming it will via a conversation with Molome) and it can post to Instagram... that just might be the winning ticket.

"Does Windows Phone have the Instagram app?"
"No, but it has the Molome app which can post to Instagram. So you get two picture sharing networks, both with large user bases in which to find your friends, for the price of one!"

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If it's true, does that mean that Instagram changed its API?... because if so, then third party apps like WPGram should also be able to add that feature. That would be great :)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably more an exclusive agreement, like what Hipstagram has on iOS. If they changed their APIs, we'd have heard about it by now.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So Molome posted a blog update today where they officially confirm that photos can be shared to Instagram.

molo.me/blog/2013/02/27/no-molome-is-an-instagrams-friend-not-a-competitor

Now for the bad news!
1. V3 is out now for iOS and Android but there is still no sign of the WP8 app
and 2. In order to share your photo to Instagram, you need to install Instagram client on your phone first due to technical issue.

I'm not sure if I believe the 'technical issue' excuse and I wonder if it's a concession they had to make to keep Instagram happy? Whatever the reason, this means that WP users still won't be able to post on Instagram. Unless, the reason for the delay is that they are working on a solution or waiting for a WP Instagram app to be released.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So following on from my previous post; I looked at their previous update which talks about the iOS and Android release and in the comments someone asks about the WP version. The official reply: "It is being cooked but unfortunate that some ingredient is not available now so MOLO has to wait a bit more to make the dish perfect. MOLO ^0^"

Could this be referring to the Instagram integration? And if so, what do they know that we don't? Or maybe, I'm reading too much into it.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Didn't read the blog post but based on what described here, believe they're just using the URI scheme to share in Android and iOS. That will obviously not work in WP without Instagram client.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon