Most Complete Facebook App Currently?

hesketh7085

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I guess I'm what you'd call a 'power user' of Facebook, and having just moved to WP8 on a Lumia 920 last week, it's sad to see that the official app is so horrendous, here's a few cons I've noticed:

• News Feed snaps to top when you come out of commenting/liking a status.
  • News Feed doesn't show 'most recent' updates chronologically, but randomly populates from the last 24hrs.
  • Lack of proper 'profile' page showing profile pic, cover pic, likes, friends, etc.
  • Inability to delete or edit posts.
  • No 'review tag' options; and when someone tags you in a status, comment, or picture and you click your notification, it doesn't go to it because the function hasn't been implemented.
  • No live tile toast or lock screen quick status notifications for private messages

I'm looking for an alternative, that can rectify the above. Unfortunately, the app stores is populated with dozens of samey apps that if anything, are of poorer quality than the official app, and have adverts.

I've taken to using the mobile website, touch.facebook.com - but the major downside to this is no live tile, no notification updates or toast notifications.

Can anyone please recommend and link the most complete, preferably ad free (whether paid or not) Facebook app currently?

Thanks.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok i find that this works the best, and I know you mentioned it, but it is by far the best experience.

touch.facebook.com

It is a HTML 5 app that almost works exactly like the iOS app.

mdkdue

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the official app does suck.
My solution had been to use the touch.facebook.com site, but in conjunction with a custom made tile using Wiztiles.

I know have a tile that looks and acts (flips just like the original) like the official app, but gives me the functionality of the touch site.

The trade off is no notifications though 😞
Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_273 using Board Express

hesketh7085

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
This no-notifications business is a bit pants.

How can I make a 'facebook' tile (live or not) for the touch.facebook.com website so I don't have a screenshot of the page as the tile?

Also, is it possible to have the phone gather notifications from the official app onto quick status notifications, even if that's not the app you're using to view the site/

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This no-notifications business is a bit pants.

How can I make a 'facebook' tile (live or not) for the touch.facebook.com website so I don't have a screenshot of the page as the tile?

Also, is it possible to have the phone gather notifications from the official app onto quick status notifications, even if that's not the app you're using to view the site/

You get notifications on your "Me Tile" . It flips and you see.. well.. stuff.. "xyz commented on your status" etc. Only downside is that you don't get the actualy vibration notification...

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I ran into a few more good 3rd party ones today:

Facebook Pro by Verse Software has a neat interface and it's quite different from others. It was free but not $0.99

Facebook For WP8 by Ostrich in Jeans in right I think the best 3rd party Facebook app, also has the highest ratings right now, definitely give it a try.

Also Facebook Viewer got updated to 2.0 and it's pretty amazing too, if you liked the app before now you'll like it even more.

hesketh7085

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
You get notifications on your "Me Tile" . It flips and you see.. well.. stuff.. "xyz commented on your status" etc. Only downside is that you don't get the actualy vibration notification...

You only see the latest notification though; there's no where that's going to say '8 notifications, 2 private messages' for instance. Using the Me tile this morning, it's nice to get a quick run down of what's going on, but it's not too functional - inability to link-through to people's profiles, for example.

david90531, I'll give your free suggestions a try, thanks.

Facebook Viewer: Nice and easy to navigate, a unique FB experience, but some drawbacks:

• 'Like' / 'Comment' / 'Share' buttons aligned vertically take up too much screen space and mean extra scrolling
  • Inability to tag people or add locations to status updates
  • News Feed includes all comments made by friends onto other people's walls (i.e. the feed in the top-right on the desktop FB)

Facebook for WP8 seems like the most complete app that's similar to the Android one I was used to. I'll give it a try over time and see how I like it.

Initially, I don't like the tile for it, the off-blue colour of the top-bar, and again the lack of ability to receive notifications for that app, but I'm sure that last point is more to do with app development limitations than the developer's fault themselves, right?

Last edited:

mky4b11

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like Facebook viewer. Latest updates made photo uploads a snap, and you can pin live tiles, although I don't use them so don't know how well notifications work, free, and no blatant ads. But just a single ad on the info screen.

I've found all the apps are the same and just is going through the mobile touch site, but viewer is the best imo cause no visible ads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa