Official Facebook app abandoned?

Mathematicsb

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
There are several conversations about FB apps going on right now and I can't remember who posted this or where, but there's an app called webapps and it will let you easily pin a bunch of different apps. The FB web app is tons better. Only downside is no notifications but combine it with the built in WP8 stuff and I feel like its a pretty good FB experience. Sorry if this is off topic or rehashing what everyone else knows but it was helpful for me and maybe it will be for someone else!

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually have no faith that a FB app would be any good for WP8 even if FB made it. People on my feed are forever pissing and moaning about how the official iOS app sucks and it doesn't let them do half the stuff the site does, and it's not showing pictures properly and certain things are left out of their news feed and ads are taking up their whole screen and yammer yammer yammer... The FB app for Android was fair, I guess, but notifications broke all the time and it was still horribly limited and unreliable. Facebook itself just doesn't understand mobile, IMO

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I actually have no faith that a FB app would be any good for WP8 even if FB made it. People on my feed are forever pissing and moaning about how the official iOS app sucks and it doesn't let them do half the stuff the site does, and it's not showing pictures properly and certain things are left out of their news feed and ads are taking up their whole screen and yammer yammer yammer... The FB app for Android was fair, I guess, but notifications broke all the time and it was still horribly limited and unreliable. Facebook itself just doesn't understand mobile, IMO

Facebook app for android = touch.facebook.com on WP.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't use FB, so I really don't know how good or bad the app really is.

The rare times I do go on FB, I use the PC.

It would still be nice to get an app like iOS.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Facebook app for android = touch.facebook.com on WP.

The notification thing is what I'm really interested in, especially for FB messenger. I suppose we might need a notification center first to really make that work, but even something like a live tile that doesn't always show 99 new notifications regardless of how many I have, and lockscreen integration would be excellent.

touch.facebook.com doesn't allow you to post photos on WP8 (browser isn't supported) which is a little annoying, but certainly not a dealbreaker since that seems to work okay from camera roll.

Aside from that it seems very competent compared to the MS-authored FB app as long as you're okay with manually checking it and you're in an area with a decent enough connection.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Kinda confused here. The peoples hub works perfect for me, I don't need a separate Facebook app considering peoples hub does the exact same thing without needing an app to do it. That's kind of the point of windows phone in a way, is that you don't need apps to do every little thing like you do for iOS.

the only downside (other than the names being way too big compared to the status updates or posts you Facebook contacts make) is it doesn't show private FB messages you get. Which I find is easily solveable by going into Facebook mobile from the browser- it runs really smooth as if it were an app and ironically is actually much better than what the android app gets you..

My new wp8 phone coming wednesday, coming back to windows phone, the people hub show all your friends feeds? I know in wp7 that was an issue due to do facebook blocking stuff. I really loved the people hub, simple.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how it is on iOS or Android, but touch.facebook.com is terrible on IE10 on WP8. The UI looks like it's not properly rendered for the browser and there are a lot of hit and misses when you tap a button.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
There are several conversations about FB apps going on right now and I can't remember who posted this or where, but there's an app called webapps and it will let you easily pin a bunch of different apps. The FB web app is tons better. Only downside is no notifications but combine it with the built in WP8 stuff and I feel like its a pretty good FB experience. Sorry if this is off topic or rehashing what everyone else knows but it was helpful for me and maybe it will be for someone else!
this! It is basically touch.facebook.com with a nice tile. Not a live tile. I find that this "webapp" works better than the IE version even thou it is only a IE wrapper.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how it is on iOS or Android, but touch.facebook.com is terrible on IE10 on WP8. The UI looks like it's not properly rendered for the browser and there are a lot of hit and misses when you tap a button.

That's odd - the icons are sharp and appear to be placed correctly on mine - can you post a few screenshots so we can see what you're talking about? Here's mine (Black Lumia 920 / Portico / IE10 unmodified / touch.facebook.com):

wp_ss_20130224_0001.jpgwp_ss_20130224_0002.jpgwp_ss_20130224_0004.jpg

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130224_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20130224_0001.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130224_0002.png
    wp_ss_20130224_0002.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 2
  • wp_ss_20130224_0004.png
    wp_ss_20130224_0004.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 2

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
it is much better than touch version. It is much more fluid and runs better.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I have it on my Sensation XL, doesn't run any better than touch.facebook.com on Lumia 920. I agree, I can't upload photos, but I can do that in a much better way natively.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just because they don't update doesn't mean the app is abandoned! There are SO many apps and games in all OS stores that never get update after release - are they abandoned? Can't believe you dug this old thread btw! Well done ;)

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because they don't update doesn't mean the app is abandoned! There are SO many apps and games in all OS stores that never get update after release - are they abandoned? Can't believe you dug this old thread btw! Well done ;)

it was my thread. was easy to find.

When an app is plagued by numerous bugs including refreshing the page and going to the top of the news feed, poor notification system and most basic features, and most likely being the most popular app on Windows Phone, i'd think they wouldn't ignore their customers and would try to do everything they could to get the app to standards, but they just have their thumb stuck in their ass.

I know 2 people personally that left Windows Phone and got an iphone due to the facebook app, with the help of other stuff like no instagram, but facebook app being a load of crap played a big role.

They seriously need to get their act together. Hopefully their big app coming this week is a major refresh of the facebook app.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Wish Nokia would just take over Facebook App and run with it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
it was my thread. was easy to find.

When an app is plagued by numerous bugs including refreshing the page and going to the top of the news feed, poor notification system and most basic features, and most likely being the most popular app on Windows Phone, i'd think they wouldn't ignore their customers and would try to do everything they could to get the app to standards, but they just have their thumb stuck in their ass.

I know 2 people personally that left Windows Phone and got an iphone due to the facebook app, with the help of other stuff like no instagram, but facebook app being a load of crap played a big role.

They seriously need to get their act together. Hopefully their big app coming this week is a major refresh of the facebook app.

They know this! That is exactly why they couldn't care less to invest a lot of time. If that app with all the flaws you indicated, is one of the most popular ones, clearly there is an audience who just put up with it. The day when it goes down to 1 star and the app downloads are lower than those fart apps and they ignore development, that's when it will be truly abandoned.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
People hub does everything I need for both twitter and facebook. Only reason I ever use the Facebook site on my phone or twitter app on my phone is if I want to delete a post or tag people in a post. Wish those features will come to the people hub.

Lumiaddict

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I've missed it, though I feel I've scoured the app, I can't find a 'Share' option. I think thats a major FAIL. I agree, it needs to be made by Facebook themselves or NOKIA should do the honors..Why worry about Instagram if your other apps are horrid? That's just my basic argument.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs