Best Podcast App to replace the Store

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, so I've been searching for a while to find a good podcast app for my Windows Phone and I just wanted to put the question out there to you guys to see what everyone else is using. My main reason for wanting to replace the built in podcast catcher through the store is the delay in having them posted as well as the download limit through the store capping at 20MB via mobile data.

Since I have unlimited data, and I'm not always around wifi and even when I am my LTE is still faster, I'm looking for an app that raises that limit since most podcasts I listen to are larger than 20MB. I'm also would like the app to have some sort sync system, where it will list the new podcasts that I haven't listened to yet. Also other built in features such as a scrubber for seeking as well as being able to keep my place in the podcast when the app is closed would be nice.

I've tried out a few apps already, the Podcasts! app seemed to be what I wanted but it doesn't have a good way for me to know which podcasts are new. I've also tried out Podcast lounge and it seems to have the same issue, also these apps require multiple swipes and taps to get the podcast to play. The last app I've looked at is WPodder which sounds like it should be able to list new podcasts and download everything in the background for me, the only complaint here is that the app doesn't seem to be updated for WP8 and therefore the UI is really scrunched down.

If anyone has any other suggestions of apps or other comments about the apps I've already tried, I'd love to hear about them

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Wpodder is a decent alternative, although the search is poor you can just plug in RSS feeds for the podcasts and it seems fairly good at remembering your position in a podcast.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wpodder is a decent alternative, although the search is poor you can just plug in RSS feeds for the podcasts and it seems fairly good at remembering your position in a podcast.

I think that Wpodder is what I'm looking for, however the download limit is 20MB over cellular which is terrible since even the shortest podcast I listen to is over 30MB. It seems that even though the built in podcast handling through the store is terrible, there aren't many good alternatives in the store.

ruthietootie

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use podcast lounge and carbon cast. Podcast lounge is ok. Seems to have a nice catalogue and the layout is fine. Podcasts have to be manually downloaded though. I also notice that the app lags a bit

Carboncast downloads your app and has playback. Doesn't have a large catalogue though. I also don't believe the automatic podcast download works properly. The app also seems to crash sometimes

I've tried wpodder but didn't like it. The interface is not very attractive and it doesn't have a catalogue to browse when last I checked it

I'll have to try podcatcher and see how it goes

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Bringcast is my personal favourite.

It does pretty much everything you want except for automatically downloading podcasts (although it does still have the 20mb download limit).

To carry on where you left off in your playlist, it's one tap from opening the app.

When looking at the podcast feed, a blue dot is placed against podcasts you've already downloaded, so you can see what's new. The playlist screen (again, one tap after opening the app) shows you what's in the queue and gives a % of how far through the current podcast you are.

Position is saved whether you pause outside the app or just start playing music in a different app.

The free trial is good enough for me, full featured but you're only allowed 3 podcasts (unlimited episodes from each)

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Bringcast is my personal favourite.

It does pretty much everything you want except for automatically downloading podcasts (although it does still have the 20mb download limit).

To carry on where you left off in your playlist, it's one tap from opening the app.

When looking at the podcast feed, a blue dot is placed against podcasts you've already downloaded, so you can see what's new. The playlist screen (again, one tap after opening the app) shows you what's in the queue and gives a % of how far through the current podcast you are.

Position is saved whether you pause outside the app or just start playing music in a different app.

The free trial is good enough for me, full featured but you're only allowed 3 podcasts (unlimited episodes from each)

So far this is the only app that I've actually been able to override the 20MB download limit on. When I hit the download button, it'll tell me i need to be on wifi, then I can hit cancel and it'll warn me I'm going to use cellular data and I hit ok and it goes ahead and downloads the podcast. The layout seems good and it does keep track of new episodes for me so I think I'm going to use this for a while and see how it goes.

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Podcast picker to download podcasts and also talk radio shows that I've set up to be recorded via drivecast.eu and it has been working very good.Not perfect but good. The only problem is the limited storage on my L820 since a 3rd party app can't save to my SD card where I really want the stuff to go. I was used to downloading all these shows to my PC on a schedule with a podcatcher and then transferring via wi-fi to my BB 9800. So far the drivecast/podcast picker solution is the only way I've found to achieve that since Zune won't work with WP8.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So far this is the only app that I've actually been able to override the 20MB download limit on. When I hit the download button, it'll tell me i need to be on wifi, then I can hit cancel and it'll warn me I'm going to use cellular data and I hit ok and it goes ahead and downloads the podcast. The layout seems good and it does keep track of new episodes for me so I think I'm going to use this for a while and see how it goes.

Oh well, there ya go! Just the one minor niggle with it not auto downloading then, which I don't think any of the apps do :p Thanks for the tip :)

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Podcatcher. I have tried WPodder, Podcast Lounge, and one more, can't remember the name, but none of their catalogues had all my podcasts in them. I was surprised to know that Podcatcher had all of them, and some of the stuff I listen to is pretty rare.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Would certainly like to see the podcasting area of WP8 get some love. All of the apps seem lacking with many not being updated for months. Although podcatcher and wpodder seem like the best (in my opinion) there's still a lot of room for improvement there. We need something like 'Downcast' on iOS

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I use Podcast picker to download podcasts and also talk radio shows that I've set up to be recorded via drivecast.eu and it has been working very good.Not perfect but good. The only problem is the limited storage on my L820 since a 3rd party app can't save to my SD card where I really want the stuff to go. I was used to downloading all these shows to my PC on a schedule with a podcatcher and then transferring via wi-fi to my BB 9800. So far the drivecast/podcast picker solution is the only way I've found to achieve that since Zune won't work with WP8.

I've been very frustrated by Podcast Picker because it won't start podcasts where I left them off. Sometimes it just starts up again, as well. Very annoying.

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been very frustrated by Podcast Picker because it won't start podcasts where I left them off. Sometimes it just starts up again, as well. Very annoying.

I've been using it for a little more than a month and so far I haven't had that problem. It picks up right where I left off. I also like that I can skip ahead 30sec at a time.

IgneousSoftware

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

We're the developers of Podcast Lounge on Windows Phone, so great to see it getting a mention in the discussion. We're hard at work building new capability into the app following its recent success and we're keen to ensure that Windows Phone finally has a Podcast app with parity to iOS and Android. We've largely addressed the lag issues which were due to some of the podcasts offering insanely high resolution images which were killing the performance and we're hard at work to bring the first part of our playlist functionality.

Let us know where you'd most like to see the app develop and we might be able to re-jig the development schedule if the demand is there ;o)

Yakko Warner

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this addressed anywhere yet, so I thought I'd ask:
Do any of these use the SD card as storage? I don't have enough spare space on my 810 to have podcasts in main storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb