HERE Drive+ Beta

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So I created a thread last year with the same issues, but got ridiculed. Anyhow, I have some screenshots now to show pretty much the same thing as with my previous terrible Paint image.

I have contacted Nokia, and got no response.

Navigation is calling for a big detour when a simple exit would've done the job.
vMTiKtQ.png

Navigation gets cut off (you can see at the top left corner it resumes, but most of the time it is further and not shown)
K1BnOhQ.png

Example when I have to zoom out to see where the navigation resumes
CvgYlNp.png
0GoFRzR.png

Question is, am I alone in facing these issues?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have seen mapping issues like this on every mapping navigation app on every OS. They all do it I always make sure I agree with the proposed rout before I let Navigation start. No your not alone but don't expect prefect results from any navigation app.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have seen mapping issues like this on every mapping navigation app on every OS. They all do it I always make sure I agree with the proposed rout before I let Navigation start. No your not alone but don't expect prefect results from any navigation app.

Back when I had a 3gs, iPhone Google Maps tried to have me go up a street that didn't exist.(it was a cliff). I had to use Navagon App to get to where I was going. I find the Nokia Maps are pretty good and when I have a problem I use Bing Maps. Bing Maps uses Nokia Maps but I still get different results. If you don't already know this, Bing Maps is inside the Lumia's Windows Phone 8. But you have to download an app to access it, it is more of a link to Bing Maps.

There are other options as well you can try.
Here is a link to Navigon.
NAVIGON USA | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have used Navigon, TomTom, Garmin and (a limited number of times) Google Maps on iOS. I never had part of the route cut off. And with HERE, it does not show it being cut off in the initial overview either :\

Thanks for the link to Navigon rdubmu. Unfortunately they don't have the Canadian maps up for Windows Phone. So far, other than some relatively new routes, HERE maps have the routes correct. But too often that it cuts off where there's a right intersection and tells me to turn slightly right (when really I should be continuing straight, as the blue highlight continues on a zoomed out view).

tribexx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It once had me going like a mile and a half to go about 50 yards around the corner.
The map showed my route going quite a distance down a street. I went about 100 yards and the map "skipped" to the end and told me I missed my turn.

I have had these issues with google maps and bing maps...

I just wish we could submit "defects"/"enhancements" to a location so they could fix it.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Here Drive screws up all the time, takes weird routes, and even tried to send me the wrong way down on on-ramp.

And Bing and Google Maps do NOT have these issues. Even the first iterations of those applications created 5 years ago worked demonstrably better than the current Here Drive works. Right now Here Drive is almost useless, at least in the USA. Perhaps it works better in Europe.

devspeed

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link to Navigon rdubmu. Unfortunately they don't have the Canadian maps up for Windows Phone.
Actually they do have Canadian maps. After you purchase the app go in the store section of the app and purchase the fresh maps update. That gives you 2 years of Map updates and Canada and Mexico.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here Drive screws up all the time, takes weird routes, and even tried to send me the wrong way down on on-ramp.

And Bing and Google Maps do NOT have these issues. Even the first iterations of those applications created 5 years ago worked demonstrably better than the current Here Drive works. Right now Here Drive is almost useless, at least in the USA. Perhaps it works better in Europe.

Driving home yesterday I needed a gas station bad. Using my Note 2 I searched for a gas station Google maps took me to an empty field. There was supposed to be a Shell station there. We can give examples all day. I can give many more from Google maps if you like. All mapping programs have issues even the stand alone GPS devices have mapping issues. The best thing to do is make sure everything is right before you start driving. I should have called to make sure Google had the address right before driving out of my way to an empty field.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually they do have Canadian maps. After you purchase the app go in the store section of the app and purchase the fresh maps update. That gives you 2 years of Map updates and Canada and Mexico.
Thanks for the info. But the FreshMaps add-on is double the price compared to it's iOS version. That on top of the app purchase price itself, I might just fix my iPhone 3GS' screen and use the Navigon there that I've previously bought.

Driving home yesterday I needed a gas station bad. Using my Note 2 I searched for a gas station Google maps took me to an empty field. There was supposed to be a Shell station there. We can give examples all day. I can give many more from Google maps if you like. All mapping programs have issues even the stand alone GPS devices have mapping issues. The best thing to do is make sure everything is right before you start driving. I should have called to make sure Google had the address right before driving out of my way to an empty field.
That's a POI issue - database which is easily fixable. HERE's POI is severely lacking in comparison - that's understandable and I'm not complaining about that. What's frustrating is HERE's faulty algorithm. Why does it cut off the route midway on the same street?

Charlie Pelosi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Here drive beta always takes the weirdest routes for me here in northern NJ. The Garmin app is way better but needs a constant data connection. Makes it frustrating when your driving and loose connection, the directions just stop.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I was working in Seattle Washington I had to go get some propane for my forklift. On my way back Navigon wanted me to go under an overpass make a U-Turn and then an immediate left instead of just going right to get onto the highway. Here maps and Navigon both want me to do something similar only it involved going 2 miles down a service road making a U-turn to enter the highway instead of just turning right. This was when going from Bee Cave near Austin Texas back to Dallas. All mapping programs have mapping issues or at leas everyone I have ever used.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
why are you using a Note II??? just kidding. I have had more issues with Google Maps than any other mapping solution.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
why are you using a Note II??? just kidding. I have had more issues with Google Maps than any other mapping solution.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

I have one of those. It's a nice device. It can do a lot of things but it stucks as a phone. I use all the major OS's it helps to stay current. No worries though I still have my Lumia 920

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss