Amazing Weather HD stopped updating the Bing daily Lockscreen Picture

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, the app is no longer updating the Lockscreen image.

I reinstalled the app. It is enabled in the background Tasks. I know the Bing image is one day behind the bing.com homepage, but still it's not updating the lockscreen image.

It will refresh the lockscreen image as soon as I open the app. It's not updating the live tile either (pinned via the app).

Anyone else have this issue ?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Like the title says, the app is no longer updating the Lockscreen image.

I reinstalled the app. It is enabled in the background Tasks. I know the Bing image is one day behind the bing.com homepage, but still it's not updating the lockscreen image.

It will refresh the lockscreen image as soon as I open the app. It's not updating the live tile either (pinned via the app).

Anyone else have this issue ?

Its happened to me as well. Many of my live tiles no longer update unless I launch them. I used to think the problem was on the developers but now, with so many apps having the same issue, I no longer think so. I think it is what MS uses as its live tile layer that is faulty. Now you'll get people coming in telling you, they are not having the problem as if to make you think YOU did something wrong. Its a problem I think MS needs to address.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Its happened to me as well. Many of my live tiles no longer update unless I launch them. I used to think the problem was on the developers but now, with so many apps having the same issue, I no longer think so. I think it is what MS uses as its live tile layer that is faulty. Now you'll get people coming in telling you, they are not having the problem as if to make you think YOU did something wrong. Its a problem I think MS needs to address.
You still have the problem ? If not, how did you fix it ?

I reinstalled the app but that didn't help.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have switched to my Android phone while MS gets this live tile problem fixed. Widgets are the next best thing.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I love WP and have been on WP7 since launch and jumped to WP8 on launch too.

But sadly and particularly with WP8 something happens that makes your tiles stop working (I have seen numerous triggers for it) mine was leaving my time zone (weird I know) but on two separate occasions after leaving my time zone when I returned to the UK my tiles stopped working and the Bing image would not update either.

Spent lots of time trying to fix but the only thing that does fix it is a hard reset.
Your tiles will be as good as new and hard reset is no big deal now you have backup (unless you got loads of save games that is)

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I love WP and have been on WP7 since launch and jumped to WP8 on launch too.

But sadly and particularly with WP8 something happens that makes your tiles stop working (I have seen numerous triggers for it) mine was leaving my time zone (weird I know) but on two separate occasions after leaving my time zone when I returned to the UK my tiles stopped working and the Bing image would not update either.

Spent lots of time trying to fix but the only thing that does fix it is a hard reset.
Your tiles will be as good as new and hard reset is no big deal now you have backup (unless you got loads of save games that is)
thanks but i dont want to do another hard reset. I did it once and it was a major annoyance getting all of my apps back to the same position (MS backup doesn't restore the previous start screen state) and i dont want to lose some of the apps that have been removed from the store (Geico, BBC News).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You still have the problem ? If not, how did you fix it ?

I reinstalled the app but that didn't help.

Not fixed yet. I'm not so sure it can be fixed. With so many having the same trouble, I'm ready to say this is a design flaw. Live tiles are great but when it can be brown this easy, its a design flaw. Maybe we can get an app from Nokia that can go in and reset the feature.

EDIT: Lumia 920.

Last edited:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Some people are saying that something is broken at the OS level. If so, then there's nothing wrong with the apps. Perhaps if a developer could chime in...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be working ok for me. I installed the app for the first time yesterday and configured the lock screen to use Bing Daily with the weather overlay. I had the Tibetan Monastery yesterday and this morning, it changed to a night photo of Wembley Stadium.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

Live tile updates appear to be quite slow for me, however. I have mine set up to update on an hourly basis - live tile gives me an update time of 18:22, but the current time is 19:53.

HTC 8X on EE (UK)

Last edited:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Could you guys include your phone model and network in your replies? It might help us figure out where the problem is. I have a Nokia 920 on AT&T and I am not getting live tile updates.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you guys include your phone model and network in your replies? It might help us figure out where the problem is. I have a Nokia 920 on AT&T and I am not getting live tile updates.

I've the Lumia 920 and i'm on AT&T...it's not happening anymore because i deleted few apps that were shown in the Advanced background tasks section. There's a huge thread in the Windows Phone 8 section talking about this issue (live tiles not updating).

It's unfortunate that MS is not doing anything to fix this issue.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, my lock screen updated again last night. Live tiles are a little slow to update, but they are updating on a regular basis.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good news. How many apps do you have installed and how many have live tiles you actively use?

Just three other live tiles on my home screen - Engadget, WPCentral, Nextgen Reader. Also have WP8 core apps.

The only background tasks I have enabled are the four apps listed. Everything else is blocked.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just three other live tiles on my home screen - Engadget, WPCentral, Nextgen Reader. Also have WP8 core apps.

The only background tasks I have enabled are the four apps listed. Everything else is blocked.
I've tried thinning things down like that and still no love. I keep thinking I could uninstall until I find the culprit but I it takes a while to do that. Not to mention, right around the time I get most apps uninstalled, someone will come up with a solution. lol.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. It might be worth setting your lockscreen to be Bing (not Amazing Weather) and seeing if that updates on a daily basis. That's how my phone was set up before installing AWHD and using that for the lock screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb