Augmented reality Astronomy App?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Any recommended Augmented reality Astronomy app for WP8?

I remember a friend with their iPhone using one, and it was really cool (can't remember the name). I would like one for my Lumia 810.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I tried it, it doesn't use the phone's camera. Hence, it's not augmented reality.

I wouldn't have said that disqualifies it as AR, but really, would you want to clutter the display that way?

Also, Skymap does have a red only mode, so that using the display won't spoil your night vision. That is much more important.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia HERE City Lens is classified as AR, as it overlays information over what the camera sees.

The iPhone app I saw worked the same way. Start app, see through the camera, and you had various layers you could overlay (star identification, constellations, satellites, etc.) which lined up darn near exactly. You could even point it below the horizon and see what's going to come up, or not.

I think there was a simple calibration (if needed) of pointing it to Polaris (North Star) and touching the star on the screen, then all the overlays lined up properly.

It was a great app for identifying what was what, and where it was exactly from your point of view. Something I've always wanted to learn, but never really got around to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos