Speech enabled applications for WP8

RobChambers

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody!

Three questions, I wondered if you could help me answer:
1.) Are there any specific apps you'd like to see speech enabled?
2.) Do you have any ideas for unique speech enabled applications?
3.) Is it generally acceptable to post notices of new apps here in this forum by the developers that create them?

A little more info...

In my day job, I'm a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, in the division that builds the speech features for WP, Xbox, etc... Outside of work, I also build apps for the phone. I've created a couple, in the store now, one's fairly new. I also aspire to help other devs learn how to either add speech to their apps, or build new speech apps, and I frequently blog on that topic on my MSDN blog.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks!

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Yes, there are a lot of things I like to do using speech. I am in India, maybe some points below already have apps but certainly I couldn't find these in my region.

1 -- Social apps, a few sports apps, news , the possibilities are endless . For e.g. I really like to just say show me the latest scores and it should open up the latest scores page in the app. (I have a sports app and I am trying to integrate speech in a future update).
2 -- It would be cool idea to toggle wifi, cellular and a few more settings using speech controls.
3 -- Yes, you can head over to these forums http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phone-developers , you have the developer spotlight and developer corner. You can post and highlight your creations there.

Cheers.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Rob. Glad to see you here in the forums. Off hand I can't think of anything on your first two topics. But as for the third, yes it is. You'll see that many do along with a link to the marketplace for the app. You might check out the developers forums here. I'm sure the developers would appreciate any help and would like to pick your brain.

Geronimo928

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm using speech to text more as it has become more reliable, faster and I find myself wanting to use more commands when my hands are tied.
1. I just sent feedback to nokia earlier today on their drive+/map app. It would be nice if they enabled searching those apps via wp start button and in app as well, IE:" Nokia Map search for Sawgrass Mills Mall..next...next..select..start navigation (something like that :). Start nokia daily commute feature via speech command etc." Universal speech to text in any app, web page..via keyboard would also be nice
2. Toddler languages/general learning games that are interactive via speech commands....Mickey Mouse Club House, "Say....Ooooh Toooodles within app to bring out Toodles" or dora the explorer asks for input on what color backpack to wear today via speech command. lol you can tell I have kids. Just general ideas..wish these app existed for my own kids...don't know if that's the type of unique apps you've got in mind.
3. No idea
4. What's up with voice commands/recognition on the xbox? I have to repeat myself multiple times...can be frustrating...maybe giving us choice to setup an ambient mic accessory or being able to send speech commands via surface, wp8 in addition would be helpful? Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers