6tag battery drain issue?

DROBinhood

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having an issue with 6tag constantly draining your battery? My phone went from 100% to dead within 2 hours after I installed it this morning. If I launch the app at any point, my phone remains hot even when I the screen is turned off. I confirmed that background agent was disabled.

I did a soft reset hoping that it'd fix the issue, but no dice. I had to uninstall the app, as it made my my phone completely unusable, and this has fixed the problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did notice that my phone gets warmer when 6tag is running right after installation, but nothing as bad as you've reported. FWIW, I didn't see a background agent when I first installed it. I had to turn the background agent on and then off again in the general settings page in 6tag, then I saw the background agent in the system settings background tasks page.

Not only did I block the background agent, I also unchecked the "Turn background tasks back on..." check box.

That was last night. Today seems to be fine.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
What I've noticed is that the app is a several Data drainer, it sucks off 10/20Mb per session (uploading at least 2 pics). I find this unacceptable :/

flipmark

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I did notice it this morning when I was late for work since my phone's alarm didnt go off (for the first time). I checked and it was empty. I've also noticed that my phone have been acting strange... it freezes every now and then. And these things werent happening before I installed the app. I'm using a lumia 720.

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I did notice that my phone gets warmer when 6tag is running right after installation, but nothing as bad as you've reported. FWIW, I didn't see a background agent when I first installed it. I had to turn the background agent on and then off again in the general settings page in 6tag, then I saw the background agent in the system settings background tasks page.

Not only did I block the background agent, I also unchecked the "Turn background tasks back on..." check box.

That was last night. Today seems to be fine.

same here my friend

Robert Stevens

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Within a few minutes of using it last night (around maybe 7 minutes) of just viewing pictures. It lost 6% battery. Now when I closed the app and put my phone to sleep on idle i lost NOTHING throughout the night. When I went to bed it was 47% and when I woke up it still was 47% (I love the Lumia 520's standby battery life lol) Its safe to say its a HUGE battery drainer.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... after making the modifications I posted above, 6tag no longer drains my battery. But holy hell does it heat my phone. I'm sure it's because of all the data going back and forth... pictures and whatnot... but that seems abnormal. I don't recall Instance heating up my phone like this.

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Was using 6tag Saturday night and going through a bunch of hashtags. Phone battery was half way while charging and it got so hot that it restarted on me twice! Was still hot so I just gave it a break, was only using it for around 10-20 minutes with no WiFi.

mtelism2

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
not just batery drain,but abnormal data drain 3days playing with 6tag and 6sec cost me 600 MB....
this 2 app are "gold mine" for operaters,so if you dont have unlimited data plan watch out.........

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's a Twitter conversation with the developer:

@RudyHuyn Love 6tag, thanks for it! Are you receiving reports of 920s running really hot when using it? Or battery drain?
@iamtim yes, gdr2 fixes that

So... any of you with heat and battery drain on GDR2?

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's a Twitter conversation with the developer:

@RudyHuyn Love 6tag, thanks for it! Are you receiving reports of 920s running really hot when using it? Or battery drain?
@iamtim yes, gdr2 fixes that

So... any of you with heat and battery drain on GDR2?

This was my issue exactly and had a similar twitter exchange with Rudy also the other day- he did confirm this was apparently a firmware update issue. I am not currently on GDR2 on my 920 (EE uk) and im seeing this app cook my phone like a good un', looking to see the difference when this update finally lands... would be interested to see is those on GDR2 920's are not having this prob...

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be working fine with my 9620 GDR2. Never used it before gdr2 though so I can't really compare.

so no appreciable heating with a few minutes of 6tag useage you would say?. It's certainly something you can't ignore at present (non GDR2), heats up alot with around only a minute of use. Sure other apps can show this behavior, but as others report, it seems to continue to stay warm long after exiting 6tag and hence cripples one's battery.

rudyhuyn

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
About data:

- instagram picture takes 100Kb
- instagram/vine video takes 1.5Mb
If you have a small data plan, disable video auto play in settings

I checked with fiddler, Datasense seems to be crazy, it seems to be a data sense bug, so don't worry about data (you can also check with fiddler or wireshark)

About background agent : its only purpose is to update the tile :
- one request to log you
- 3 requests max to update tiles
- tile image download

no more.

About heat: Windows Phone 8 had a several bugs:
- with videos: sometimes, it forgets to delete video player => impossible to play an other video (black screen)
- camera: sometimes it forgets to close the camera => become hot (solution launch native camera app)
these two bugs are fixed by GDR2, it's a firmware bug, I can't do sometimes if you haven't gdr2

Don't forget that when you launch an other app or lock screen, the app stops, it's theorically impossible to drain battery when you doesn't use an app ;)

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
About data:

- instagram picture takes 100Kb
- instagram/vine video takes 1.5Mb
If you have a small data plan, disable video auto play in settings

I checked with fiddler, Datasense seems to be crazy, it seems to be a data sense bug, so don't worry about data (you can also check with fiddler or wireshark)

About background agent : its only purpose is to update the tile :
- one request to log you
- 3 requests max to update tiles
- tile image download

no more.

About heat: Windows Phone 8 had a several bugs:
- with videos: sometimes, it forgets to delete video player => impossible to play an other video (black screen)
- camera: sometimes it forgets to close the camera => become hot (solution launch native camera app)
these two bugs are fixed by GDR2, it's a firmware bug, I can't do sometimes if you haven't gdr2

Don't forget that when you launch an other app or lock screen, the app stops, it's theorically impossible to drain battery when you doesn't use an app ;)

Thank you for the expanded explanation there Rudy, excellent stuff. Looking forward to the next 6tag update. The original is brilliant...but you know that! ;)

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I think it's better than the original Instagram app (I used it on iOS).
the original 6tag i mean of course... ;) I've not had the chance to use Instagram's effort on iOS too much, but even with limited use to compare, Rudy's work is outstanding and intuitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo