Nest Thermostat Apps are disappearing

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any information why Nest Thermostat apps keep disappearing from the Windows Phone Store (USA)?

wpnest - An open-source app to control your Nest Thermostat : windowsphone
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/wpnest/e35bcd5c-7071-4988-8022-5d78fa9353a9
Nest Thermostat | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

for example, are gone. I just got a Lumia 1020, and need that app ported from my 920, but I'm stuck :(

I see one user here has a app in Beta, but not sure how to get in on that.

Any ideas?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any information why Nest Thermostat apps keep disappearing from the Windows Phone Store (USA)?

wpnest - An open-source app to control your Nest Thermostat : windowsphone
wpnest | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Nest Thermostat | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

for example, are gone. I just got a Lumia 1020, and need that app ported from my 920, but I'm stuck :(

I see one user here has a app in Beta, but not sure how to get in on that.

Any ideas?

For wpnest questions, you could contact the developer. His Twitter handle is @GaryGJohnson.
[h=2][/h]

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Nest support is silent about anything Windows. Their forums have hundreds of requests for it but the iPhone/Droid/Mac bias is apparently too strong there

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the guy (or guys) that founded Nest were responsible for the wheel on the iPod. So, yea, bias = to be expected. It's unfortunate. One would think in any business, you'd find it prudent to develop an app that captures the use of as many people as possible.

zeromusx

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Just reformatted my phone and noticed both Nest apps gone, too. They aren't the only ones. Key Ring is gone now as well, with no reference to the Windows Store on their site at all anymore. :(

I can deal with things not being there in the first place, but to pull them, that's rough.

Forc3

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Got an idea here! since we are able so sideload 2 apps into our windows phones wouldnt it be a good idea just to build wpnest seperately and sideload it? not a hard work i guess... and its open source after all

anthonypham

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just published my Nest thermostat app to the store yesterday, you can get it here wellNEZTed | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I contacted Gary before releasing my app and I suspect the reason why wpnest was unpublished is because of trademark infringements. This prompted me to rework my UI and try to not infringe upon any trademarks. I originally had something similar to how Nest's website/wpnest/the other nest app looked, it is hard to envision something different when their implementation is so clean and familiar.

Hopefully my representation is decent enough for you all to use! :excited:

Marcus Roof

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
you wouldn't have to make one at all if they published their own app. I actually called them and tried to get through to anyone in their development dept. They wouldn't transfer me so I ended up talking to a front lines person who said they didn't know anything and to ask the forums. why would the forum user base know if Nest doesn't know. your app is probably my most used app outside of the core stuff (text, email, calender).

to remotely control a thermostat in a big house is amazing. I've been asking why they don't make thermostats with RF remote (or network or even IR if you're line-of-site) control for over a decade. I've tried stuff from Smarthome...expensive, overly complicated. The Nest was a godsend and now everyone is following suit with their own offering...

Can you do one for KEVO next!!!!! Kwikset: Kevo - Bluetooth Electronic Lock

Marcus Roof

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded your app and get Service Exception. using local Wi-Fi or LTE. user name and password are correct...app doesn't work for me...

anthonypham

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded your app and get Service Exception. using local Wi-Fi or LTE. user name and password are correct...app doesn't work for me...

I have worked with some users in identify some crash issues. I have submitted an update and it should be published as soon as Microsoft has finished certification (Up to business days I believe). I will come back and let you know when the update is available, hopefully you will have more success with the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett