HOWTO: Install Windows Phone 8 SDK and Retain IPv6 Routing Connectivity

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Installed Windows Phone 8 SDK and lost IPv6 connectivity. Most likely that was because Windows Phone 8 SDK installs its own virtual network (that's provided by its Windows service used, for example, to deploy XAP files to phone device), and bridges it with a virtual switch bound to your local adapter.

For example, before installing Windows Phone 8 SDK I had:\
1. Bluetooth adapter (disabled).
2. Wi-Fi adapter (enabled).
3. LAN adapter (disabled)

After installing Windows Phone I've got:

1. Bluetooth adapter (disabled).
2. Wi-Fi adapter (enabled).
3. Virtual switch for Wi-Fi adapter.
4. Virtual switch for Windows Phone virtual adapter.
5. LAN adapter (disabled).
6. Virtual hub bridged to Virtual switch for Wi-Fi adapter and Virtual switch for Windows Phone virtual adapter.

For some reason, once I've got this hub, I lost my IPv6 connectivity. I checked with IPv6 in the IP stack and it was there. Obviously, there must be a proper way to configure this network topology and make these virtual switches and hub aware of IPv6 routing.

Does anybody know how?

So far I've had to remove Windows Phone 8 SDK and remove the virtual hub after removing the SDK because hub was still there, to regain IPv6 connectivity. Still I'd love to have both IPv6 connectivity and Windows Phone 8 SDK.

I've also made sure I had Teredo enabled but I had to enable it via local machine GPO. Not sure that was the best way to retain IPv6 and decided that I'd rather remove Windows Phone 8 SDK that use this local GPO.

I would appreciate any help for anyone out there using the SDK or IPv6. Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel