Thank you Nokia for making my app obsolete!

tipako

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've put hundrets and hundrets of working hours in GeoPhoto. Downloads and feedback kept me motivated. Seems like both will shrink soon...

I always was a fan of Nokia, the photos made with their great cameras and the HERE maps and loved combining those to one app!
Seeing the upcoming Storyteller app, it feels like a punch in the face...

My programming motivation is gone, at least for today, thank you Nokia!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've put hundrets and hundrets of working hours in GeoPhoto. Downloads and feedback kept me motivated. Seems like both will shrink soon...

I always was a fan of Nokia, the photos made with their great cameras and the HERE maps and loved combining those to one app!

TThat sucks. I am sorry to hear that.

But just because Nokia has an app coming out doesn't necessarily mean you can't build an audience of your own.

Take 6tag. The long awaited release of instagram is coming and it will appease those who want official apps but there are some who like myself prefer the third party app. So don't get too dejected.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Don't worry. The thing about being first is that you can keep on improving your app whenever there's competition. Another thing is, when a project winds down, you can always start a new one!

Besides, sometimes, the Competitive Exclusion Principle never takes place as planned ;)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is storyteller an exclusive Lumia app or is it for all windows phones? If it is exclusive your app could potentially be a hit with non Lumia owners.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Micah Dawson. Flipboard is arriving for WP, but I absolutely love Weave, and im sticking with it. Don't lose your motivation. Just because there's a Nokia app doesn't mean people won't use other apps :)

uncletoma

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe your app should be better than Nokia one :cool:
You can improve it, maybe can be a hard work (i'm not a programmer, only an user) but you must consider Stotyteller not like a punch in your face but a challenge done by Nokia to you.
And you can win, if you want and try.
Remember: nothing is impossible, our limites can be overwritten.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
it's all about choices. go with your app and let the consumers decide which they choose. a little competition could even turn out healthy. good luck

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm really sorry, I truly am, but that's like saying Nokia shouldn't compete in the smartphone wars

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Related thread on 3rd party App replacement(or not)...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...u-going-stop-using-your-third-party-apps.html

The best functioning, most versitile and best looking app will survive. And obviously there will be a market for non-exclusive OEM/Carrier apps, so there's that. Anything that can add to the perceived value in usefulness and efficiency will tip the scales as well.

In my case, I prefer..
- Pick It (formerly Red Renter) over the official Redbox app b/c it functions better, looks better and has DVD reviews linked.
- Refocus over ReFocus b/c, well it's not available for non-Nokia phones
- Simple Calendar over Calendar b/c of of additional functioning capabilities
- Indigo over Tell Me b/c of better functioning and accuracy

So perhaps adding some unique additional functioning capabilities might tip the scales for GeoPhoto. I'm not too familiar with the app but perhaps an added social function would make it shine, like say sharing with 'Trip Advisor' website or somesuch. Maybe adding a capability to play a music file while going thru the photos. Lots of possibilities to expand I'd think. Be innovative and know your target audience. Go get'em.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm also a geophoto user (congrats to the author) and I didn't even know nokia was releasing a competitive app.
Now that I know it, I'm not interested in knowing what exactly that app is going to do anyway because I feel already full satisfied with geophoto and I can't think how nokia could do better (maybe in the UI, but I don't care much about it), and I can think how nokia could do worse in many different ways because now the trend is limiting features and possibilities to target dumb users.

Continue believing in your app... I hope you do for myself ;)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Your GeoPhoto is just a subset of Story Teller.

Use what I said as a motivation.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa