How to display GPS and compass data in a picture or video on Lumia Phone

Charles Serio

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello, and thanks for reading this. I am seeking information about having GPS, inclinometer and compass data captured and displayed, within a windows phone app. I would like the data to be captured and displayed on the picture or video, in real-time, as it is being captured. I would also want the option to have the info encoded into the capture (so 3 settings (off, "display only" and "display & capture"). I have a Nokia Lumia 928. I would want as much info as possible, including latitude, longitude, altitude, camera inclination, in degrees (positive numbers if shooting up, negative numbers if down), compass direction, in degrees, and phone orientation and skew. Assume that the "top" of the phone is the usb/headphone jack side. If the camera is held completely vertical it is at 0 degrees if upright or 180 degrees if upside down, if it completely horizontal, it would be at 270 degrees, with the volume buttons on the upper edge, or at 90 degrees, if the buttons are along the bottom edge. Any readings that are numbers other than those 4 would indicate that the phone is tipped (skewed) to one side or the other. Other possible "Settings" options might include the ability to turn individual data sets on or off or optionally saving all of the positional information into a text file, instead of encoding it into the captured video or picture file.

Do any windows phone camera apps with these abilities exist? If so, what are the app names? If nobody is aware of any like this, are there any ambitious windows phone coders out there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven