Nokia Refocus is out NOW for All Pureview Lumias

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's alright - interesting program but I don't know how much I will actually use it. I have Cinemagraph and SmartCam, but find I rarely use either of these, preferring simple single shot. Would LOVE to use ProShot (3rd Party) because of its shot to shot speed, but as of now, it doesn't have the reframing from hi-res capability - which I actually use quite a bit.

Still to be a good sport, here is the first shot I took with refocus:

(edit: I don't think quality is all there yet.. trying a different approach - regular cam vs refocus in later post)

10839782115_52dd0c86cd_c.jpg

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Quick Comparison:
#1: Refocus
#2: Nokia Camera Pro

10840035455_d6e014f7ea_c.jpg 10839972715_24c1e72f54_c.jpg

Exif Comparison:

Except for ISO and speed, everything shot pretty much identically, but I think standard Nokia Camera Shot is noticeably better quality overall..

Refocus: Nokia Camera
Camera
Nokia Lumia 1020 Nokia Lumia 1020

Exposure
0.017 sec (1/60) 0.025 sec (1/40)

Aperture
f/2.2 f/2.2

ISO Speed
500 400

Exposure Bias
0 EV 0 EV

Flash
Off, Did not fire Off, Did not fire

Orientation
Horizontal (normal) Horizontal (normal)

X-Resolution
72 dpi 72 dpi

Y-Resolution
72 dpi 72 dpi

Software
Windows Phone Windows Phone

YCbCr Positioning
Centered Centered

Padding
(Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract) - same both shots..

Metering Mode
Average Average

Light Source
Unknown Unknown (actually was blend of fluorescent and daylight)

Color Space
sRGB sRGB

Exposure Mode
Auto Auto

White Balance
Auto Auto

Digital Zoom Ratio
1 1

Scene Capture Type
Standard Standard

Padding
(Binary data 2060 bytes, use -b option to extract) - same both shots..

Last edited:

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I posted a comment on the article in the main page - but I will also post it here - I am sure this will get comparisons to the Lytro

here is a comparison - I would call this app Lytro-Lite - it's not got the level of detail I can get with the lytro
with the lytro I can focus on the diffuser, the picture in the background and the bottle itself, the nokia app gives me just the bottle and the picture.

It's still impressive nonetheless

https://pictures.lytro.com/loribinca/pictures/747153

https://refocus.nokia.com/refocus/7O7drRo5EgXefa4m

You do need to 'set up' your shots with this kind of photography. my best lytro shots are ones where there are several layers of depth that you can switch between.

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
The Lytro stuff is extremely impressive. The Refocus photo only has 2 layers of focus whereas the Lytro has so many more and allows for shifts in focus by a few millimeters. The Lytro also allows for a small shift in perspective. It's just a shame that such an impressive technology is stuck in such a crappy, gimmicky product.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i used the proxy ytrick to install this on my 520. It works perfectly fine.

I would imagine the quality is low because it is coming from a video feed or something similar, rather than taking a lot of high-resolution shots per second.

As for this only doing 2 shots, I set up 3 items at different distances and it let me select all 3 as the focal point (with the associated depth of field changing). The contrast of these objects needs to be low though for it to work effectively. If it captures frames for the entire focus range, it may be possible for them to implement a focus adjustment at some point.

Definitely an interesting app, despite being rough around the edges!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb