App or Pocket Heater?

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
One of the many small (or maybe not so small) things that bother me about my WP8 phone is the rather large collection of apps that turn my phone into a heater.

This is good for cold days and keeping my hands warm - yet really, really bad for battery life.

One example - Audible. Even if you are not listening to an audio book, if the app is still open it will drain your battery in a couple hours.

A second example - the WP Central App! Yes, running this sites app will ramp up my 920 CPU to a high load and suck the battery down. That happens even when I "multitask" by jumping to another app. In the background WPCentral will deplete my battery while challenging the phone to try and melt the upper third of the phone.

Because so many apps have this problem, I can only assume it is some sort of Microsoft API issue. I wish it would be fixed. I'm hoping for an early credit to upgrade my phone, but while I am stuck with WP8 - I've now gone to using my old iPhone for listening to Audible - all day long - because my 920 will die within 2 hours if I try it there.

*sigh*

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the many small (or maybe not so small) things that bother me about my WP8 phone is the rather large collection of apps that turn my phone into a heater.

This is good for cold days and keeping my hands warm - yet really, really bad for battery life.

One example - Audible. Even if you are not listening to an audio book, if the app is still open it will drain your battery in a couple hours.

A second example - the WP Central App! Yes, running this sites app will ramp up my 920 CPU to a high load and suck the battery down. That happens even when I "multitask" by jumping to another app. In the background WPCentral will deplete my battery while challenging the phone to try and melt the upper third of the phone.

Because so many apps have this problem, I can only assume it is some sort of Microsoft API issue. I wish it would be fixed. I'm hoping for an early credit to upgrade my phone, but while I am stuck with WP8 - I've now gone to using my old iPhone for listening to Audible - all day long - because my 920 will die within 2 hours if I try it there.

*sigh*

This problem exists across all platform. It is about device agnostic as an issue gets and is related to poorly designed apps, not bad APIs. This site problematic but I have found flashlight apps to be the worst. Issues with this site do not surprise me since the pastel Easter egg site remains the one in which I experience the most problems with the start screen version of IE 10/11 on my Surface Pro. With respect to WP8, not allowing apps to run as background processes resolves the issue most of the time - same as Android.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Surprisingly i havent come across a situation where apps are stuck causing the phone to heat up, the phone usually heats up when playing games for long which makes sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire