Hoping for Barnes & Noble support on WP8 but.....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As B&N supports Win 8, and WP 8 has shown constant uptick in sales and other major app developers are jumping onboard, I had my hopes they would be open to developing for WP. I am "in between" decisions on a new eReader, but honestly would like to keep B&N in the fold VS. Amazon. I buy from them whenever I can, so long as prices are at least close. I would get a Nook over a Kindle if they supported WP. So, I deceided to throw an email out there:

Greetings!!

I am looking into a basic reader, and of course I am interested in your Nook line. However, I couldn't help but notice that among your companies list of supported mobile systems, Windows Phone was not included. I am a Windows Phone user, and would find that to be a deal killer in purchasing your product if I was not able to access my account through my preferred mobile device.

I, of course, know that the growth of Windows Phone has really only seen a strong surge in this past year with the introduction of WP8 alongside Windows 8 for computers. So I was curious: Will Barnes and Noble, which I see has support for Windows 8, be intruducing support for Windows Phone 8 anytime soon? I sincerly hope so, as I believe I would trust content from B&N and would enjoy your readers.

I would appreciate any response you are able to give.

With regards,

Todd

I am less then enthused with their response, even if it wasn't all negative:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting Barnes and Noble. We understand your inquiry about when are we going to have the NOOK for Windows 8 Phone.
Many of Windows 8 Phone users have suggested to develop the NOOK for Windows 8 Phone. As of the moment, we only have the NOOK for Windows 8 PC and Tablet.

We have already forwarded this suggestion to our Management Team for future consideration and implementation. We are sure that our NOOK Reading App developers are currently working on it. We still don't have any time frame when will this be released. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Your patience is truly much appreciated.

If you have any questions or require further assistance, please don't hesitate to email us again.

If you would like assistance by phone from one of our Customer Service Representatives, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665). If you are outside the United States, please call 201-559-3882. If you prefer to chat with us, please click on this link:
www.bn.com/chatwithus
For additional information about our NOOK devices and NOOK mobile apps, you may click on the link below:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184
Take care and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Isaac
Customer Service Representative - Digital Support
Barnes & Noble

Again, not a totally "negative" response, as it is obvious that other WP users have asked for support (YAY!!), it just seems as though B&N are not quite ready to jump on yet (Boo!!).

Also, that "Windows 8 Phone" could be forgiven if their support was imminent, but it just shows how little they are aware of the OS if they can't get the name right.

I would like an eReader, but it can wait a little longer. I am starting to feel like if I want to support WP8 app development, I need to use those companies which are here, and Amazon has been around since the pre-Mango days of WP7.

I just hate there not being competition, and really, really still love kicking around a B&N stores, so I would like to support them.

Not sure we have hit that "critical mass" of app development that Joe Belfore and MS brass thinks we have.

:cry:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have my doubts about the survival of Barnes & Noble. I believe it will go the way of Borders.

Barnes and Noble has a few advantages over the artist formuly known as Borders: Their electronic content is impressive and growing. Their stores are fixed in large, college towns where foot traffic is still strong, and they are spinning their failures forward and optimizing their Nook offerings and working hard to get into electronic "text books" for education, and untapped market.

That said, they are treading water and do not have huge cash on hand. One of the reasons I want to support them- I really do not want to see a world where 70% or better of purchases are coming from one source, this being Amazon. It just would put a stranglehold on writers/publishers as they try to build an audience.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Barnes and Noble has a few advantages over the artist formuly known as Borders: Their electronic content is impressive and growing. Their stores are fixed in large, college towns where foot traffic is still strong, and they are spinning their failures forward and optimizing their Nook offerings and working hard to get into electronic "text books" for education, and untapped market.

That said, they are treading water and do not have huge cash on hand. One of the reasons I want to support them- I really do not want to see a world where 70% or better of purchases are coming from one source, this being Amazon. It just would put a stranglehold on writers/publishers as they try to build an audience.
I never buy books. I just borrow library books. The B&N app is useless for me, since the library uses either Adobe format (Overdrive app) or Amazon format (Amazon app).

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean about Barnes and Noble. I have always had a soft spot for them. I even got the Nook apk for my Kindle Fire so I have both Nook and Kindle to choose from. That is the one nice thing about having WP8 phones and Android tablets, and Windows computers. You can just about find anything you need on one of them. Sorry no Apple stuff, but its just because I already have everything I need covered by the things I already have. Got nothing against them, but I have a feeling they have peaked and while they will always be a factor, I see them and Microsoft fighting for second behind Android. But then I hope I am wrong and Microsoft pulls off the feat that Android has done. At one time Apple had Androids market share. Stranger things have happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans