App for Google hangouts on WP8 - chats with multiple participants?

Willit7

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 925, mainly because of the release of Line Messenger for Windows. There is an app in the Store for it, and it can be downloaded for iOS and Android. There's also an app for Win8.1 for your computer. The messenger is clean and works great. I got all my friends to switch over to it. Its free and looks and works great. Like i said, its for iOS Android and Windows Phone, as well as for your windows 8.1 PC. Doesn't get much better than that! Ask your friends/coworkers to try it out. I've had no negative reactions yet, and I've personally got 18 people to switch from hangouts and whatsapp. Try it!

Ian Hanson

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
If you really want to have Android on hand, why not buy an unlocked Moto G for $179 and just use it as a wifi device, and tether it to your WP whenever you need it on the go? I know it's not ideal, but desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Android for about 5 years, needless to say, if you use an OS for that long, you tend to get fully invested.
I have wanted to use a WP device for a long time. I recently bought a pre-owned Lumia 925 and I am excited to use it, the only thing I am worrying about is the fact some of my freelance work is all done through hangouts and gmail. I also am a lover of Google+
So this post facinates me. I have a couple questions....

1. Can the stock email app accept and sync with Gmail?
2. Is there a good 3rd party application for Google+ that allows posting media as well?

Anthony Esposito1

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Android for about 5 years, needless to say, if you use an OS for that long, you tend to get fully invested.
I have wanted to use a WP device for a long time. I recently bought a pre-owned Lumia 925 and I am excited to use it, the only thing I am worrying about is the fact some of my freelance work is all done through hangouts and gmail. I also am a lover of Google+
So this post facinates me. I have a couple questions....

1. Can the stock email app accept and sync with Gmail?
2. Is there a good 3rd party application for Google+ that allows posting media as well?
I made the switch from android to wp8 as my daily driver with a lumia 928. I use my 2013 n7 alot and a n5 as well because I haven't found a good g+ app, all that I have found are links to the mobile page masked as an app. That's the only thing I miss about android. I'm on wp8.1 Dev edition and its totally daily driver suitable for me. I was using I'm+ for hang outs but again its just 1x1 and no video. In for suggestions for g+ and hang out apps.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to use Hangouts, all my android friends have to use Hangouts.
I guess you can add yourself in the group as an SMS contact.
Google is Evil. It chooses to not support WP because M$ is a d$%& to Android manufacturers by making them pay exorbitant royalty fees...on the tune of 2Billion/Yr.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to use Hangouts, all my android friends have to use Hangouts.
I guess you can add yourself in the group as an SMS contact.
Google is Evil. It chooses to not support WP because M$ is a d$%& to Android manufacturers by making them pay exorbitant royalty fees...on the tune of 2Billion/Yr.

Microsoft makes them pay because they are using Microsoft's intellectual property. And every court case has supported MS in it's case against Samsung, etc. Most of these royalties come from a file management system that the OEMs use on their hardware. It's not even an Android issue.

Google is a **** period. They are the Microsoft of the 90s.

We use Google Hangouts at work so I'm also trying to find an app solution on WP, but so far nothing. At this point, Google can go **** themselves, I'm tired of this bull****.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
A halfway decent hangouts app is all I need to WP to be my primary mobile OS. IM+ is the best of what's out there and it works for one on one chats well enough but lack of group chat kills it for me.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone and Google have a long sorted history (I know, I used to work at MS).

The issue is not with Microsoft or Windows Phone not WILLING to support G-Apps, it's Googles nature to prevent their services to be used without some kind of income potential.

There used to be several GTalk and GVoice apps for the WP platform, but soon after WP8 got popular (as in more popular than WP7), Google turned off ALL access to many services API's from 3rd parties who develop their own apps for Google Services.

[INFO]
Google says it's cracking down on third-party Google Voice ...
Google says it's cracking down on third-party Google Voice apps, expanding SMS support in Hangouts early next year
Oct 31, 2013 ? ... Google Voice integration in its Hangouts app ... Google says it's cracking down on third-party ... support) only works with Google Voice ...

Google pulls the plug on third-party Chromecast streaming ...
https://gigaom.com/2013/08/26/google-pulls-the-plug-on-third-party...
Google pulls the plug on third-party ... Chromecast owners using a third-party app to stream ... Pulling the plug on ?video_playback? support might be ...

@Google pulls back the ability to set 3rd party app ...
launch.co/story/google-pulls-back-the-ability-to-set-3rd-party-app...
@Google pulls back the ability to set 3rd party app permissions in Android 4.4.2 claiming the App Ops feature was 'accidental'; ... google; privacy; 9.0. Vote.

Google pulls the plug on QuickOffice standalone app
Google pulls the plug on QuickOffice standalone app
Google pulls the plug on QuickOffice ... QuickOffice application in order to encourage support for its current Google apps ... will target third-party apps;

Google forces MetroTalk to be pulled from Windows Phone ...
www.neowin.net/news/google-forces...be-pulled-from-windows-phone-store
If you have been using MetroTalk on Windows Phone as a way to utilize Google ... app that Google bans and pulls ... Google is shuting down 3rd party apps support ...
[/INFO]

So yeah, if you want 3rd party apps for Google Services, you can pretty much stop thinking about that.

The alternative? Hoping Google will develop for Windows Phone. Trust me, Microsoft in NO WAY prevented the use of Google Services that it is allowed to use. Their GMail support is a very good example of their willingness to try and support their services for users. Google has tweaked the IMAP protocol from the standard to "enhance the experience for android users". That is why several 3rd party mail clients have issues if they are not "tuned" to the changes Google has made to connect with GMail

You can search for many examples like:
  • Non Standard IMAP Ports
  • Direct Manipulation of the Base IMAP Protocol
  • Non-Standard Message Manipulation Commands
  • More, just go look for it!

In closing, yes, Microsoft is NOT completely innocent, however, at least they are TRYING. The ONLY reason we have ANY kind of "official" YouTube app is because Microsoft developed it while Google did everything they can to put as many restrictions into it as possible.

Sometime down the line, great apps like MetroTube will be pulled because Google will kill the API's for that service as well.

Really look for the facts and truth. :D

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I recently got myself Lumia 640 and one thing I miss the most is google Hangouts app. Its insane on part of Google not releasing it for WP.

JiTalk is no longer available
IM+ doesnt connect to gtalk. the authentication keeps failing.

Not sure if there are any good app alternative for hangouts. I hope WP 10 Mobile things would change.

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Talderon thats true Google is doing unethical business on their part. To be honest in one word they fear if they release their apps for Windows Phone most of them would switch from Android coz its a very unstable OS although good in some ways.

I feel what Microsoft has to do is to work hard on creating some amazing piece of software and services that can compete and stay true to only Windows services. Hopefully with Windows 10 Mobile things should get better. Fingers Crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb