FlipMag BETA - Gorgeous design - best Flipboard alternative?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how many of you are aware, but stumbled across this Flipboard client on r/windowsphone on Reddit.

Released a little while back (I think), it's called FlipMag (it's currently in BETA). Basically simulates Flipboard on Windows Phone and does a surprisingly stellar job, aesthetically speaking. Honestly, the performance leaves a little to be desired as it chugs along sometimes and appears a little unresponsive. Though, being in beta, we can't harbour too much criticism. :wink:

Design-wise, the app just TRIUMPHS. Colours and articles pop and everything flows into everything else very nicely. It even boasts the signature "flip effect" from Flipboard.

SFhk8RY.png
9ES1ngW.png
wj8s6Sh.png

Adding and pinning topics and sources is a breeze. There's little in the way of customisation and options at this early stage, but what you're given works well. Bizarrely though, there's no Double Wide tile at the moment, which is a bit of a downer.:straight:

I've put Weave on the bench for now and I'm quite excited to see what this app brings in future updates, or until the official Flipboard actually decides to finally drop.:eck:

Made by the guys who brought you Skinery themes by the way.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting design, I'm definitely checking this out! I've been using Collector as a Flipboard-type alternative. It looks really nice, but it's not optimized for the 1520's screen which is a bit of a downer. The devs have been promising a "big update" for a few months now. The devs for Skinery Themes seem to be very active, so I'll be following this app for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting design, I'm definitely checking this out! I've been using Collector as a Flipboard-type alternative. It looks really nice, but it's not optimized for the 1520's screen which is a bit of a downer. The devs have been promising a "big update" for a few months now. The devs for Skinery Themes seem to be very active, so I'll be following this app for sure. Thanks for the heads up!
No bother.
I've heard the app looks glorious on the 1520, you lucky *******. :winktongue:

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Been waiting for official flipboard app for quite long time, I even tipped them on twitter.
Using this app is a joy .. Look good and works good, it crashed while I was adding a URL source .. But yeah its still in beta.

Thanks for the tip mate !

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Woah! Now I see what you meant by choppy. That's some next level animation they are attempting in the article views. Also, is there a setting page?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Woah! Now I see what you meant by choppy. That's some next level animation they are attempting in the article views. Also, is there a setting page?
Not that I could find. Closest thing is the option to refresh and share within an article.

You can rearrange tiles much like on the WP Start screen by holding and dragging, resize and unpin.
You can also touch the name of the category on the homescreen and quick-jump to any category like you can on the app list.

Just tipped the WPCentral team and Daniel replied saying they'll have a video coming later today, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, after using the app for a bit, the one thing I'm not crazy about is those animations in the article list view. They are neat, but almost seem unnecessary. Just my opinion of course. Everything else is beautiful.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, parallax effect can be a bit distracting. I'd imagine they'll give the option to alter that to static images at some point. It can look a bit noisy.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I am not gonna lie, this app is absolutely stunning. I've been patiently waiting for Flipboard. But this rivals it as far as design goes. Now, I do have to agree about the weird animation when scrolling through articles. But other than that, kudos for this app.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After using it further, I think the dev should dump the "flip" part of the name, plus the parallax and flip animations, and just focus on a great reading experience. Don't get me wrong, this app has the potential to be great, and for a beta is already close to great. But, the "flip" aspect comes off as a bit cheesy because of Flipboard. Just my opinion of course ;)

symwpapps

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am the developer behind FlipMag. Just want to say thanks for all your kind comments and I will be continuing to bring the best experience for you on FlipMag. I will fix the parallax scrolling effect. There is an update currently pending certification which will include: Video, GIF, Live Tiles, Instapaper, Mobilizer, Unread article count support!

I have setup a uservoice site to gather all your feedback and sugguestions so if you have something to say, do drop by FlipMag Feedback & Support: Hot (0 ideas) – FlipMag Feedback & Support . Thanks.

PS: the wide tile is coming in the next update

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the fantastic app! Really amazing design, I can't state that enough.

• Can you say how long will the app be in beta?
  • Will the full version be paid, have ads or a mix of the two?
  • Will fast resume be implemented?
  • Will there be auto-refresh?

Thanks again, and keep up the great work. :cool:

rain620

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am the developer behind FlipMag. Just want to say thanks for all your kind comments and I will be continuing to bring the best experience for you on FlipMag. I will fix the parallax scrolling effect. There is an update currently pending certification which will include: Video, GIF, Live Tiles, Instapaper, Mobilizer, Unread article count support!

I have setup a uservoice site to gather all your feedback and sugguestions so if you have something to say, do drop by FlipMag Feedback & Support: Hot (0 ideas) ?€“ FlipMag Feedback & Support . Thanks.

PS: the wide tile is coming in the next update
Good looking app you have there but you have to be wary of the name and icon, I suggest you change it before putting it live. Question here, will you also add the feature to create magazines (collecting articles and putting them in one magazine) like how Flipboard does it? Most RSS reader apps do the job for me except that one..

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, cant seem to locate the app on the store any longer... Was it removed?

Edit: Never mind, found it, Its not showing up when you search for SYM apps, nor when you search simply "Flipmag". There has to be a space inbetween for some reason.
----------------------------
Posted via the WPC App for Android!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I can see the app still in my store, UK.

I can't wait for the update that is awaiting approval. Live tiles would make this app perfect, even for a beta!

Also dev - could you look into adding background updating like in Baconit and Bing News? So that app doesn't feel laggy when it updates the news?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I can see the app still in my store, UK.

I can't wait for the update that is awaiting approval. Live tiles would make this app perfect, even for a beta!

Also dev - could you look into adding background updating like in Baconit and Bing News? So that app doesn't feel laggy when it updates the news?

Manually search for the update, worked for me this morning.
Unfortunately though,it seems to have made it a bit unstable. Navigation is sluggish now, and I experienced a few crashes.

Refreshing now takes a long time. And I couldn't seem to find the double wide tile :cry:
Also, @symwpapps , is it possible to unpin sources? Say, a few of the default sources on some categories?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Manually search for the update, worked for me this morning.
Unfortunately though,it seems to have made it a bit unstable. Navigation is sluggish now, and I experienced a few crashes.

Refreshing now takes a long time. And I couldn't seem to find the double wide tile :cry:
Also, @symwpapps , is it possible to unpin sources? Say, a few of the default sources on some categories?

I think the only wide live tiles are individual feed categories. At least that's all I can find in the updated app. The main tile seems to still be a medium sized static tile.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Also, to the dev: I really REALLY think you should change the name and logo now to avoid problems later. Something simple like "Magazines" would work. I'm concerned that it will get lost when the official Flipboard app comes, or worse if the Flipboard devs decide they don't like the similarities in the name and logo. Just my opinion, but I really like the potential in this app. It should stand on it's own, not as a Flipboard imitator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss