Google Play Music alternatives - are there any?

Mister K

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi - as a new Windows phone convert, one of the things I miss most about Android is the music support. I was a heavy user of both Spotify Premium and Google Play Music (many hours a day) on Android, and have not found the Windows alternatives particularly pleasing.

Firstly, I have to say that my 1020 sounds fabulous now that I have tweaked the equaliser a little bit and switched off the Dolby headphone rubbish. Unfortunately the apps...

Spotify has been ditched. It sounds awful - streaming at 160kbps, and a woeful interface. I know an updated version is on its way, I'll check it out again when it drops. In the meantime Deezer is an OK substitute. The interface still sucks a bit, but much of the catalogue now streams at 320kbps, and sounds great. Even the stuff still at a lower bitrate is better than the current Spotify, and better than Xbox music. Xbox music sounds compressed and nasty to my ears. Also Deezer currently costs just ?4.99 per month.

The real problem is a replacement for Google play music. I have a collection of around 15,000 tracks which I sometimes like to put on shuffle for several hours at a time. Cloudmuzik worked sort of OK, but Google have changed their API without warning and now no third party apps work. I can play tracks via the phone's browser (and it sounds great actually), and whilst the track continues playing whilst the screen sleeps, it will not progress on to the next track until the browser window is open.

Has anyone got any suggestions, either by adjusting the setting to allow IE to run fully in the background, an app that actually works with Google music, or an alternative (preferably free) service.

Many thanks.

K

mikejones2000

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Gooroovster and it works OK, not the greatest though. A little slow when you first load it, but works after that. I think i had to email the developer to get access to the beta version though I think he stopped working on it.

Mister K

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Gooroovster and it works OK, not the greatest though. A little slow when you first load it, but works after that. I think i had to email the developer to get access to the beta version though I think he stopped working on it.
Thanks. It seems the developer is aware of the issue. I have emailed him, and we'll see if his fix works.

Mister K

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
​Go to his Facebook page and request beta access. New beta version works fine again.
Just to update those that might be interested, I contacted the developer and he promptly included me as a Beta tester. I installed the Beta version of the new CloudMuzik and, whilst there are some interface refinements to be made, and a bug with the album artwork, the main function of the app - playing my Google Play music - seems to work fine.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Cloudmuzik Beta works amazingly on my Lumia Icon - no issues, can cache songs, etc. Highly recommend until Microsoft gets its $hat together and fixes XBOX music app. They need to allow us to stream our music library from our PC's using the XBOX music application. There should be XBOX music server that allows you to play your music across any device, similar to Google's offering. Until then, I will keep using Cloudmuzik

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon