Why wont a lot of developers make a decent app?

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Title says it all, what could possibly get developers to make a decent app? I miss slacker radio on my s4 it actually looked nice, Spotify, Instagram, etc.. Sure we have them but they're to be honest just a shame. Do you think they'll get updates on 8.1? I love this phone, but I mean I think I could go to ios once the iPhone 6 comes out. Because iPhones no matter how you think of them at least they get apps and are as consistent as windows phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Lot of WP apps are decent. Many are stellar. The thing is, Spotify and Facebook wrote the WP app we use, why are you not pounding on their heads to do better? Or any developer building the apps you use for that matter?

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Lot of WP apps are decent. Many are stellar. The thing is, Spotify and Facebook wrote the WP app we use, why are you not pounding on their heads to do better? Or any developer building the apps you use for that matter?

I know some of them are amazing!But thing is I don't think pounding on their heads will do anything I mean look at the reviews for Spotify and Slacker, they give the impression that the apps are crap. I'm sure one of the developers at some point ventured to look at that but they don't seem to give a ***** about it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This subject came up a couple months ago in this thread. Towards the end there's a link to this article which suggests that part of the reason is that OS restrictions make it difficult to create apps that function the way the developers would like them to. This could also be why the same apps on iOS & Android are generally higher quality than their counterparts on WP. Hopefully this problem is alleviated with WP8.1.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know some of them are amazing!But thing is I don't think pounding on their heads will do anything I mean look at the reviews for Spotify and Slacker, they give the impression that the apps are crap. I'm sure one of the developers at some point ventured to look at that but they don't seem to give a ***** about it.
What's troubling about those apps and the reviews they got is those companies put their names on the line. Also I'll include Mozilla in the mix when they pulled that garbage code Firefox out there for Metro with their name on it. You would think that they would take more pride in themselves and their work but they seem to not care how a large swath of the market sees them.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What's troubling about those apps and the reviews they got is those companies put their names on the line. Also I'll include Mozilla in the mix when they pulled that garbage code Firefox out there for Metro with their name on it. You would think that they would take more pride in themselves and their work but they seem to not care how a large swath of the market sees them.

What would you consider a "large swath of the market"?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I've done scripting on other platforms in the past. I was interested in giving app coding for Windows Phone a try.. ran into a brick wall when I was prompted upon installation to my PC, that the SDK only ran on Windows 8 OS. I have 7, I'm not upgrading to code app(s).

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I've done scripting on other platforms in the past. I was interested in giving app coding for Windows Phone a try.. ran into a brick wall when I was prompted upon installation to my PC, that the SDK only ran on Windows 8 OS. I have 7, I'm not upgrading to code app(s).
i never knew that. i thought SDK do run on Win 7. Win 8 is not mandatory.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
And that's why Windows phone doesn't have many apps since developers don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

And that to pro or higher versions and 64bit.
You cant run it on basic version of windows 8

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

casaout

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I developed many apps on Windows 7, maybe they recently changed the requirements. But you could use this: Tutorial: Install Windows Phone 8 SDK on Windows 7 the Easy Way - xda-developers Hope it helps ;)

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
i never knew that. i thought SDK do run on Win 7. Win 8 is not mandatory.
SDK does run on Windows 7, but you can only code for Windows Phone 7 under that environment.

I've bookmarked this topic: Tutorial: Install Windows Phone 8 SDK on Windows 7 the Easy Way - xda-developers
Once my bandwidth resets for June I'm going to try again. Re-downloading the SDK would put me close to overages for May.
Seems pretty straightforward, hopefully this gets more views so others that have been discouraged are willing to code for WP8.

Though in reality, nobody should have to jump through hoops to do this.. it's not doing anyone any favors. If anything, it stifles creativity for WP apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon