A weather app with operational live tile?

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
With the abundance of weather apps, you'd think it'd be easy to find one with a functional live tile.

Bing Weather - I like everything about this app.. except the live tile doesn't update until I manually launch the app. Even then, sometimes it takes a while for the tile to update.

Prognoza - Visual mimc of Bing Weather (less features), but again, no live tile update.

Accuweather - The live tile updated, but only once in the span of about 6 hours.

Is there a trick to getting these to work? I'd like to stick with Bing weather.. the backgrounds look awesome on my start screen.
A few hours ago I cleared my start screen to blank and manually re-added start screen pins, with Bing Weather being the first tile.. no luck.
Reset (soft/hard) makes no difference.

Using Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8, background apps:
Weather
WhatsApp
WPCentral (trial/free version)
Facebook (blocked)

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
try vieather app
The first review says the live tile doesn't update.

This question is for a Nokia Lumia 520 device, specially.. that means it runs 512mb ram. Assuming ram/ram limitations are the issue since the rest of the phone operates flawlessly; I originally posted this in the 520 forum but a moderator moved it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The first review says the live tile doesn't update.

This question is for a Nokia Lumia 520 device, specially.. that means it runs 512mb ram. Assuming ram/ram limitations are the issue since the rest of the phone operates flawlessly; I originally posted this in the 520 forum but a moderator moved it.
The RAM will not have any effect on the updates of the weather apps.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I use bing but have never noticed it not updating, but then I'm not looking for it to update very often but seems to work for me.
The tile presently says 'Mostly Cloudy' / 67F with a daytime cloudy background for Toronto..
When I launch the app, it's 53F and 'Clear' with a moon background.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Blueskys is prolly the best at keeping the tile updated and fallowing locations and very little battery drain but it is very limited in what it does, I wish it had radar. I've never had luck with Bing after the last 2 updates, weather bug is awesome but is a battery hog, accueweather is another that wont update and will not follow your location.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This morning, Bing weather updated. Only change I made was un-pinning a whatsapp chat (not the whatsapp app launcher, but the persons avatar that quickly took me to their chat).

Interesting.

Update: I re-added the chat tile & weather is still updating as of hrs later.
So I assume the combo of clearing the start menu & soft reboot cleared any hanging tiles.

Last edited:

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
With the abundance of weather apps, you'd think it'd be easy to find one with a functional live tile.

Bing Weather - I like everything about this app.. except the live tile doesn't update until I manually launch the app. Even then, sometimes it takes a while for the tile to update.

Prognoza - Visual mimc of Bing Weather (less features), but again, no live tile update.

Accuweather - The live tile updated, but only once in the span of about 6 hours.

Is there a trick to getting these to work? I'd like to stick with Bing weather.. the backgrounds look awesome on my start screen.
A few hours ago I cleared my start screen to blank and manually re-added start screen pins, with Bing Weather being the first tile.. no luck.
Reset (soft/hard) makes no difference.

Using Nokia Lumia 520 with Windows 8, background apps:
Weather
WhatsApp
WPCentral (trial/free version)
Facebook (blocked)

make sure all the apps that u want updated tiles regularly are enabled for background running in battery saver.
secondly, u can check setting for frequency for updating the same. i mean i use amazing weather hd, which has settings for updating frequency such as hourly, every 2/4/6/8 hours, twice a day and daily.
bing weather updates the app once in a day, i think. but unsure about live tile updating. i think the tile updates every 2 hours. there is no settings for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans