How to get favorite places from PC into nokia windows phone maps

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I added favorite places into de Here maps app on my PC but now I want them also to show up in my Windows Phone Nokia maps app.
I can't find how.

In the settings of the maps app on Windows Phone there is a setting "Sync my places". It is disabled and saying that Cortana will sync your places history across your microsoft devices. How can I enable this.

I also read that Cortana is probably syncing the Bing map-places. But if I add them to Bing maps (on my PC) they aren't showing either.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I logged into HERE Maps with my Nokia account, both in Win and WP. My favourite places are synched this way, so I can access them in the W8 (Maps) and WP8 apps (Maps, Drive, Transit) as well as the browser version of Maps.

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I did find a way to get favorites from PC to Here Drive on Windows Phone. However they don't show up in maps.
Here's what I did to get the favorites in Here Drive:
1. Sign in into Nokia Account on PC via browser (not the here maps app!!)
2. When you are logged in then on the bottom there are some options, one with the name maps.
3. Clicking the maps option will start the maps app.
4. On the card search the place you want to add as favorite and rightclick on the map.
5. Choose to add to collection
6. On Windows Phone you must have your Nokia account configured in the settings.
7. On Windows Phone you go to Here Drive and go to favorites.
8. Click the sync button at top (on right) and the favorite you added on PC will show up.
9. If you want to rename you can do that in Here Drive just holding the favorite and then choose rename.
10. Then when you sync again the rename will also show up into map on PC.

If someone has a better way to do this. Please tell.
Still looking to get the favorites into windows Phone maps...

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I logged into HERE Maps with my Nokia account, both in Win and WP. My favourite places are synched this way, so I can access them in the W8 (Maps) and WP8 apps (Maps, Drive, Transit) as well as the browser version of Maps.

Do you use Cortana? I did turn it off but although the sync option was enabled then it was not syncing. Is there a button to let the sync occur manually as in Here Drive? Or was my waiting time for a sync to occur to short? I turned off Cortana for 5 minutes.

devlam

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On my PC, the favorites that I set up in Cortana show up in Bing Maps Preview, but not the regular Bing Maps...It's much easier to get a spot specific with a mouse than an index finger on a phone :)

Here's the store link for Maps Preview (Windows 8.1 , not Windows Phone 8.1):

Bing Maps Preview app for Windows in the Windows Store

Probably not available in Netherlands, doesn't show up in the store.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you use Cortana? I did turn it off but although the sync option was enabled then it was not syncing. Is there a button to let the sync occur manually as in Here Drive? Or was my waiting time for a sync to occur to short? I turned off Cortana for 5 minutes.

Sorry for the late reply. I can't use Cortana yet, as I have one of these US-unsupported 8Xs.

If I log in with my Nokia account into the mentioned services, regardless of web or mobile app, my favourite places or places collections are accessible.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It strikes me that, back in the days of Symbian, syncing favourites between Drive, Maps & PC was far easier. My N8 is still great in this regard.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The current situation, it would seem, is this:

Cortana uses the native "Maps" app, in WP8.1, and the 'favourites' in that app. Whilst Cortana can be set to use 'Here Drive' for navigation, Cortana does not (cannot) look at 'Favourites' in either Here Drive or Here Maps. Any synching between your web-based 'Here' collections and your WP8.1 phone is between your Nokia account and Here Maps (and Drive). They cannot sync with the native 'Maps' app. Moreover, the web-based 'Bing Maps' can exchange place-marks between itself and Google Earth, and yet cannot sync (or even do a one-off exchange) with the WP8.1 'Maps' app (or 'Here', for that matter).

Therefore, in summary, if you have a plethora of place-marks in GE, you can get them to Bing Maps, but not to the map app that Cortana uses on WP8.1. Similarly, if you have numerous place-marks in 'Here' maps, you cannot get these into Cortana's map app, either.

Some people have claimed one can do this with the 'Maps' app in Windows 8.1 (PC OS), which can sync with Cortana's maps app; but since all my laptops and PCs are Windows 7, I can neither verify this nor give a damn. Unless MS (or 'Here') allow Cortana to get places from 'Here Maps', in some future update, it will require you to enter all your places again, in the 'maps' app, and twice for any new place-marks (once in 'Here Maps' and again in the 'Maps' app), if you wish to use them with both Cortana and 'Here' (maps or drive), independently.

Obviously, if anyone can contradict this assessment, please, please do; I would be only too pleased for this to be incorrect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)