Office 365 free on 1020 or 1520?

newtolumia

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering jumping from my iphone. Does office 365 (the ability to open, edit, create new word, excel, or powerpoint documents) come free on the lumia 1020 or 1520? If these aren't free, is there a yearly cost breakdown somewhere?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Word,, excel, PowerPoint, outlook, skyonedrive baked in (free). OneNote and OneDrive apps add more functionality.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Office is 100% free on Windows Phone.

365 is a subscription service separate from that for the most part in terms of payment, it is not necessary to use on WP.

newtolumia

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Is office fully featured on either of these two phones? Without a 365 subscription how are documents shared or transferred between devices? Ultimately is it possible to work on a word or excel file on my Mac and then continue working on the same file from the phone? The extra screen real estate on the 1520 will hopefully be very handy for this.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Fully featured? No. You don't want to type a report or draft a financial report in excel on your phone. The phones can open, view and edit these files but you don't want to be using the phone as a dedicated drafting device. I mean you can create a new word, excel, PowerPoint file, it will save to SkyDrive (or office 365/sharepoint if u have a BUSINESS subscription).

If you are using OneDrive to store your documents from the mac, yes you can pickup editing and sharing on the phone. OneDrive syncs everything.

I run a small business and use this all the time. I don't use my phone for anything other than a quick access to my documents. Perhaps I need to email something, or add a bit of info to an excel file, the phone is perfect in that regard. Even if u get word/excel attachment in emails. Great for viewing etc. Hope that helps.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you may be a little confused on the Office 365 "Subscription". You don't need the subscription for the phone but this depends on what your purpose is. (Business or Home Premium). MS has really murked up the Office 365. There are several different flavors of the Business side. I have a P1 plan. Website, sharepoint online, exchange online. I also get the Office web apps. Its almost like signing into Outlook.com and having access to Word, Excel Online, OneDrive etc. They also have the Office 365 Home Premium. This gives you 5 licenses to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook Publisher full applications for 99 bucks. Its for the home user that has a desktop, laptop, ipad, and perhaps one of the thousand droid tablets (Or a Surface Pro). With the Home subscription you can install the full office suite onto you desktop, the mac, an ipad... use up three of the 5 license and have 2 left. You DO NOT need to use on on the phone because these are already in the phone. The home subscription also gives you more OneDrive storage space and Skype credits.

Bottom line, if you have the home premium office 365 subscription... this does not have any effect on a windows phone, or Surface RT (Office is already on these devices). If you have an Office 365 Business plan, now it gets interesting and the phone will have the capability to access SharePoint online. You can get access to you business document libraries. WP Word, Excel etc work just the same, just that you now have access to a new location on the phone called Office 365. When you see office 365 on Windows Phone.... IT IS BUSINESS ONLY. The Home Premium subscription of Office 365 is based on you MICROSOFT ACCOUNT and a Windows Phone is already tied to your MS account.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just so you know, the same thing is available on your iPhone. The only difference is that you need to install Microsoft's Office app. As far as the Office experience, it's pretty much the same on WP as on iPhone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, the same thing is available on your iPhone. The only difference is that you need to install Microsoft's Office app. As far as the Office experience, it's pretty much the same on WP as on iPhone.

To add to this, it has the same functionality as on the iPhone. The only difference is on the iPhone you have to log into your office 365 account to edit documents. On windows phone you get mobile office for free and it ties into your onedrive account.

If you have sharepoint or a business office 365 account you can sync to those ones as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes