Disable Whatsapp from saving media to Photos

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
My friends share a lot of media (Photos, Videos & Audio) in the Whatsapp groups I am part of. The files have essentially accumulated in the phone and are spamming my Photos app. Previously Whatsapp had the option to Enable or Disable automatic saving of media to phone. After the recent update, when the Whatsapp was pulled from store for a 2 week period, I am not able to find that option.

Can anybody clue me in on the location of the option or confirm if the option is not available anymore?

If it is not available anymore, is there any other way to prevent automatic saving? Or at the least disable the Whatsapp Album from showing up in the Photos app?

bssnik

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah they disabled the function time ago 😒 there is actually no way to prevent from this only delete them through albums

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
To configure automatic photo, video, or audio downloading, simply go to WhatsApp > tap the three dot at the bottom of the screen > settings > chat settings > media auto-download..

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
To configure automatic photo, video, or audio downloading, simply go to WhatsApp > tap the three dot at the bottom of the screen > settings > chat settings > media auto-download..

Sorry for not being clear. Media auto download is ok for me. But the media is also saved to the phone/sd card in the Photo Albums. I just want to prevent that.

By your replies i can guess that it is impossible to prevent saving to photos now. However if there are any ideas on how to prevent the 'Whatsapp' album from showing up in Photos, please share it.

Now, I am going to try making the folder attribute to hidden in my PC and plug it back into the Phone. If that works, it will be good. Regardless, I will post the results here.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I hate this problem too! If someone sends a NSFW picture in a group, it will be displayed in my photos app!

Sooner or later I'll go trough an embarrassing situation.

Richardson2

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Agree and a MASSIVE bump. This needs sorting. If iOS can do it, why not Android? Another case of OS discrimination. The IMDB app on Android is missing features that the iOS version has! Ridiculous.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to set that folder as Read Only from PC ?

I have already tried it to set the folder attributes to hidden. The photos app just groups the Whatsapp media into 'other pictures' album (it created that one, there is no folder like that). The files are still saved in the whatsapp folder, but now it is shown in the 'other pictures' album. It has become ridiculous now. I will try to set it to 'Read only' and post the results.

nehemiahjacob

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I know this doesn't answer your question. For this reason we use Telegram. It downloads and keeps the contents with itself, Doesn't push to gallery.

jibiel

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I used Telegram too, until I realized that it's just a broken WhatsApp clone at the moment. Encrypted chats losing messages and I'm receiving tons of empty notifications. Apart from that it handles attachments pretty neat.

Ravi Lal

Mar 3, 2019
Visit site
You can change this first of all go to WhatsApp settings after that click on Chats. When you will click on chats you can see the option of Show media in gallery here you can change the setings according to your need. If you dont want to save the media in your gallery you can uncheck this feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3