What happened to MyBucks?

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
MyBucks is gone from the store. I went to the web version of the store and its no longer published. Anyone know what happened? Have the dev's contact info?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I contacted the developer, he told me that Starbucks made a trademark complaint but he hoped to get it reinstated soon.

Looking at the app, I think they complained because the app was too good and embarrassed Starbucks by illustrating their complete lack of providing an official app. (Same thing happened to me when I built web-wrapper apps for Hobby Lobby and JoAnn).

Here's his contact info from the about page of the app.
elliottvforde (at) outlook (dot) com

Last edited:

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. The app was great. I hope he gets it back in the store. I started going to Starbucks more because of the rewards. They need to get it together.

elliottvforde

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all very much for your support!

I just sent another note to Starbucks that aims to express the WP community's want and need for a Starbucks client. I offered a few alternative solutions as well, so for now, sit tight!

Elliott

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Now if we can just get one if the wpcentral admins to post a front page story. A Starbucks app would be big for WP. A lady at my job changed to WP from a iPhone and is thinking about going back because of the Starbucks app. I sent her a link to mybucks right before it got pulled down.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

nallWhite

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I saw that. But, what's to stop them from having that one pulled. Maybe we can get some social media going here and get ab answer from them.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I saw that. But, what's to stop them from having that one pulled. Maybe we can get some social media going here and get ab answer from them.
welcome to WP, where apps get pulled out for no reason :winktongue:

On a serious note, an official app is supposedly under development (See thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/302689-starbucks-finally-coming-around.html). But from past experiences, I would take that with a grain of salt. Many apps were promised or supposedly under development and never came through.

elliottvforde

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay, guys.

I'm still in contact with Starbucks, but currently, the future of MyBucks isn't looking too good... They're primarily concerned about a third party "having access" to personal information, which although seems ridiculous - even to me - is a valid concern for such a large corporation to have.

As of now, MyBucks unfortunately won't be returning any time soon. But, I will continue speaking with Starbucks to see if there is any other solution. I don't want to see MyBucks gone any more than you all do.

Again, thank you for your continued support!
Elliott

elliottvforde

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Who has access to the data? Have you asked if they are planning to release an app? Maybe you can lead the dev team.

Technically, no one has access to the data but the you, the user, because you have to log in to your account. Starbucks doesn't like the fact that you have to log in through a third party and that the data is delivered to and displayed through a third party client even though the app doesn't store your information anywhere other than your device.

In regards to an official solution, they said that although they cannot commit to any plans, they will continue to support their customers. I am only sixteen, so I'm guessing they wouldn't feel comfortable having me lead a team of developers. I've been talking with the legal department, so if I wanted to propose something of the sorts, I would have to contact the business department most likely. I'll keep looking into this though; I have a few family friends at Starbucks. I'll let you guys know if there are any developments in this area :)

For the uninitiated, how was MyBucks different than an app like SBUX Cards? Why hasn't that app been pulled too?

MyBucks simply required the user to log in to his or her Starbucks account, and it would pull all your cards, account information, etc. from there. It was analogous to the official applications, minus a few features such as reloading. As to why the other apps have not been pulled, I'm not sure. They may have singled out MyBucks because of its "full-featuredness," but I can't be certain.

tobiaspete

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Man, I loved your app...so sorry to have it disappear. I'm a graphic designer and it was such a beautiful app, I paid to have the ads removed. I'll keep my eye on your apps!

AaronSentell

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
This is a bunch of B.S. Starbucks could have every single "Starbucks" app removed from the store based on their concerns about MyBucks then we'd be left with nothing. They're trying very hard to alienate their WP customers, that's for sure.

BTW did you know if you paid to have the ads removed you can get a credit from Microsoft when an app is unpublished? I got a credit last night for MyBucks. Not that I wanted to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos